Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't bothered by it either. I just mentioned it because I thought it was unusual for him. He had an excellent game.
Yeah I know.

It was an excellent double fist that landed a fair distance away from the pack so that is great but I would've thought that he would've been super confident taking so many marks but it was a big pack IIRC and you have to go with it because he had such a great game.

Hmmmm so our defence looked better today without Sav. Especially Alir and BZT.

May just be coincidence. May be the opposition. May be that AA and BZT just stepped up in this game.

And maybe they just need more time to gel and Esava needs more time to develop his craft.

Or maybe he just isn’t the player we thought, hoped and need.

If this is the case, what do we do?

Is it worth trialling him as a key forward who pinch hits in the ruck? He wasn’t terrible in this role at Geelong and we need a big body who can take a contested grab.

I said 2 things when we went after him.

Having those 3 talls is going to present a challenge in terms of losing run from the back half and less players having more responsibility there

That’s come true.

And I was concerned about esavas fit with Alir. I just wasn’t sure about the two of them fitting as esava looks like Kmart Alir.

Yeah, to my eye Alir and bzt looked better without esava , and our defence in general looks better.

small sample size but the sample size with them together also tells the same story

You could bite the bullet and accept esava as great depth, but gee pick 25, which cost us our 1st rounder this year, which we all agree is likely to be anywhere from 5-12 was a big price to pay.

I’ve got zero doubt we went into all our trades desperate and easily taken advantage of thanks to orders from the top being to give Hinkley senior ready players to try to justify their decision to sign him yet again.

We’re throwing good money after bad non-stop now.

Esava is a failed forward I'd rather just plug games into Lord.

Yeah, Geelong , who are better coached than us tried esava up forward and he sucked so they tried him back.

Kf is a harder position, and esava is the quintessential athlete over footballer.

We’ve seen him have a cpl of quality games, but I suspect that will be the pattern. Cpl of quality games here and there.

Re Ratugolea and punching what looked like a certain geebung goal back into play, I only saw a pic of the incident as I didn't watch the game live, but it reminded me of a game for Port where he apparently took a chest mark behind the goal line resulting in a score to the oppo, where if he had taken a step forward it wouldn't have been a score at all.

Unfortunately both scenarios could suggest the lack of a football brain, which is the one asset that can't be taught, ie a player either has it, or they don't!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Ratugolea and punching what looked like a certain geebung goal back into play, I only saw a pic of the incident as I didn't watch the game live, but it reminded me of a game for Port where he apparently took a chest mark behind the goal line resulting in a score to the oppo, where if he had taken a step forward it wouldn't have been a score at all.

Unfortunately both scenarios could suggest the lack of a football brain, which is the one asset that can't be taught, ie a player either has it, or they don't!
He's an athlete not a footballer. Always has been. You can't fault his effort but he was never worth what we paid to get him. His career at Geelong said as much and his start with us has proven it.

For anyone who wants Rats to be a forward. Remember this?
Yes, this shows that Esava Ratugolea has no football brain and should never go anywhere near a football field.

Meanwhile, here's Max Gawn robbing Melbourne of 5 points ensuring they go out of the Finals in straight sets...

But we should never have paid what we did for Esava. Simply should've been a third round take it or leave it offer and picked him up in the pre-season draft.

He's an athlete not a footballer. Always has been. You can't fault his effort but he was never worth what we paid to get him. His career at Geelong said as much and his start with us has proven it.
Fair point, a mate of mine reckons Ratugolea is a bigger and stronger version of Cam O'Shea, who from memory regularly copped the `athlete not a footballer' comments.

Esava was drafted as an athletic forward/ruck project, Geelong tried over several years to work on his football IQ. Eventually they moved him back as it is easier to teach defensive work. The problem is in a good system he looks competent, but in what ever the hell system port uses he struggles.
You would think a competent football dept would recognise this & modify its defensive system to suit the players limitations..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back