Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rookie Pick #13 (2023) - Xavier Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a late pick getting 2 years added this early says to me that they really like what they see.

I’ve been liking what I’ve seen from him as well.
he has a few real “footballer” elements that I think are harder to teach. Whether he works out or not he’s the type that is worth going down the road to find out.

Still think I prefer him in the back line, but looks solid on the front line too
Same but the backline is too packed at the moment.

Think the form of Marshall and Lord and Finlayson along with the end of Dixon has opened up spots for a decent forward coming through.

Great hands and a beautiful left foot with the club describing him a "utility" nowadays. Possibly he's a forward from here in.

Think the form of Marshall and Lord and Finlayson along with the end of Dixon has opened up spots for a decent forward coming through.

Great hands and a beautiful left foot with the club describing him a "utility" nowadays. Possibly he's a forward from here in.
I have loved him as a defender in the SANFL games he played earlier in the year. Having said that, he plays with such confidence, brashness and conviction that he could be a very dangerous forward. He's tough as nails, aggressive and also skilled. Good strong mark and an excellent kick, both as a field kick and as seen in that footage from the weekend, when kicking for goal. What now needs to happen is for him to work on his forward craft and minimise brain fades (which is more dangerous if in defence).

I had him earmarked as a defender in part because Marshall and McCallum haven't yet shown themselves to have clear AFL potential. Perhaps if Marshall and Moss can be developed to play back, Walsh can be given a proper shot at playing forward.

The anti-Nick Salter

Forward or back doesn’t really matter at this stage. We could use either. If he shows a bit up front, give him time to develop as that’s a harder position to find and develop, but, like I said, doesn’t really matter at the moment. Get experience and fitness into him. Good find by the recruiting staff.

I wonder, with a few more talls selected of late regardless of draft pick, does this signal that we are taking on more of the crows/cats approach of pick lots, give him a shot and rinse and repeat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rookie Pick #13 (2023) - Xavier Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back