Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe one of the worst first season records of any coach.

He was talking top 4 start of year, couldn't even get 4 wins, disaster.

Club better sort it's shit out asap
It's not going to be a quick turn around. Look at our list even if we have no injuries and take the rose tinted specs off. We have little to no genuine A graders. Take a look at our dynasty teams and they were built around Dusty, Cotchin, Reiwoldt and Rance, then supported by players like Edwards, Prestia, Houli Lambert, Rioli, Grimes etc. All pretty much aged in their prime.
Our list is no where near as talented and you can't blame a first year coach for that.

He never mentioned top 4, he said there was no ceiling on what we could achieve, never really had the chance to prove that after the Swans game

Reading a lot of comments about the lack of game plan and want to address it.

There is an attacking game plan and you can see it but it's only really early on that you do, as it falls away quickly as our midfield & forwards stop doing what they started with.

We look for quick clean movement of the footy with a win in the middle leading to the ball being fed out to the wing/HF area then looking to hit up the leading forwards. We were doing it yesterday in the first quarter and it was looking good, but the for whatever reason it stopped. Our forwards stopped leading and our clearances started to become more straight out the front and long bombs to about 25m out.

Whether this is instruction or forwards stopping because they don't get honoured on the lead so just stand there and wait for the slow long high entry is the issue.

Defensively we're pretty sound with our structure inside D50, it's a couple of issues up the ground that we're getting hurt by, which then creates the issues that breakdown our structure.

Firstly it's the lack of pressure we generate inside F50 once we lose possession that allows the opposition easy transitions from defensive half to forward half, which doesn't give our midfield any time to push back to support the defenders.

Secondly it's our sloppiness with regards to execution that catches us out of position. When we win the ball in D50 we look for the quick counter attack either through direct run and carry or handball chains through the defensive side of the centre, which shoud be leading to a quick entry in to a forward in space. Which brings me back to the point above about our forwards not moving like they start out doing and instead waiting for the ball to be kicked in to a pack.

The other issue is our ability to stuff up these opportunities by missing an easy kick or handball or the receiver fumbles creating unnecessary pressure. There were at least half a dozen times yesterday where KMac was the receiver for the ball to the outside but he fumbled or missed the next link. In contrast when we went through Banks side it kept the play flowing until the forwards failed to present an option or if they did it was an outnumbered situation that led to the turnover.

When we have the likes of Banks Campbell Ralphsmith Rioli Short Trezise & Vlastuin coming out of D50/off the wings we look so much better as they run and carry and take the game on. The next issue is getting the mix right inside 50, which won't be sorted until 2025 unfortunately, due to injuries.

The signs are there, they're just easily overlooked due to the rest of the game being hard to watch.

He never said anything about top4. He said the following We are not going to put a ceiling on where we can finish

Reading a lot of comments about the lack of game plan and want to address it.

There is an attacking game plan and you can see it but it's only really early on that you do, as it falls away quickly as our midfield & forwards stop doing what they started with.

We look for quick clean movement of the footy with a win in the middle leading to the ball being fed out to the wing/HF area then looking to hit up the leading forwards. We were doing it yesterday in the first quarter and it was looking good, but the for whatever reason it stopped. Our forwards stopped leading and our clearances started to become more straight out the front and long bombs to about 25m out.

Whether this is instruction or forwards stopping because they don't get honoured on the lead so just stand there and wait for the slow long high entry is the issue.

Defensively we're pretty sound with our structure inside D50, it's a couple of issues up the ground that we're getting hurt by, which then creates the issues that breakdown our structure.

Firstly it's the lack of pressure we generate inside F50 once we lose possession that allows the opposition easy transitions from defensive half to forward half, which doesn't give our midfield any time to push back to support the defenders.

Secondly it's our sloppiness with regards to execution that catches us out of position. When we win the ball in D50 we look for the quick counter attack either through direct run and carry or handball chains through the defensive side of the centre, which shoud be leading to a quick entry in to a forward in space. Which brings me back to the point above about our forwards not moving like they start out doing and instead waiting for the ball to be kicked in to a pack.

The other issue is our ability to stuff up these opportunities by missing an easy kick or handball or the receiver fumbles creating unnecessary pressure. There were at least half a dozen times yesterday where KMac was the receiver for the ball to the outside but he fumbled or missed the next link. In contrast when we went through Banks side it kept the play flowing until the forwards failed to present an option or if they did it was an outnumbered situation that led to the turnover.

When we have the likes of Banks Campbell Ralphsmith Rioli Short Trezise & Vlastuin coming out of D50/off the wings we look so much better as they run and carry and take the game on. The next issue is getting the mix right inside 50, which won't be sorted until 2025 unfortunately, due to injuries.

The signs are there, they're just easily overlooked due to the rest of the game being hard to watch.
I don't know whether it's enthusiasm, effort or fitness at this time of year but it became very apparent after the first quarter yesterday that our blokes just did not want to go with their St Kilda teammates on the defensive side of things. In the second half where St Kilda got the turn over and had multiple blokes out the back on their own in 50m of space it was pretty dispiriting.

I think most people's issues with the game plan is that we're just not using the corridor with the frequency that good teams do.

I'm not sure why or what's being coached but it's very hard to have a workable forward setup with the blokes we've got playing down there right now not really being a massive threat or getting the respect of opposition defenders that are zoning off at will really.

I also note your comments re the leads not being honoured. Happened a LOT yesterday and when we did honour the lead we kicked it about 2m over the head of the forward. It's a combination of skill error and slow decision making which we can probably put down to the fact everyone is very low on confidence right now.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year with fresh assistants and fresh players. Hopefully it lets everyone play with a bit more freedom and enthusiasm.

With the Hawks comparisons, Mitchell was very clear that in the early stages they were emphasising the offensive game plan first with the defensive stuff to be tightened up in the years to come. They copped some flack as normally you do it the other way round but that was the plan. They also recruited accordingly (Impey, Amon, Frost, Chol etc).

Who can honestly say they know how we’re trying to score (or defend) based on this year? Yze said in his presser last night that St Kilda took away our DNA of high pressure and forward half turnovers. I’m not sure how that stacks up when we are dead last for tackles and also F50 tackles. We’re also 2nd last for conceding Rebound 50 goals. How many complete breakdowns have we seen that result in the oppo launching it into the corporate boxes from the goal square? Miller’s form has dropped away but to be fair he is defending 3 blokes most weeks. He’s also getting caught way too high on some occasions and if it’s not him it’s someone else. There doesn’t some to be any recognisable system back there.

Now I’m definitely no Yze basher, but next year there needs to be an obvious system in place regardless of W/L. If we get a full pre-season, a decent run with injury and a solid 12-16 games into the season and we’re still having experienced players like Hopper running around in circles and retreating 20m backwards only to handball to a 50/50 then I’ll start to be concerned.

Yze overrated our playing list before taking this job. This year has been a reality check for the coaches, club and fans. It will help when we have a full-time CEO who isn't attached to another club to help direct the club into the right club, and make changes on and off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would this bloke help us

After 3 years at The Fremantle Dockers, Bob Murphy is returning to Victoria at the end of the year due to family reasons. He has held a variety of roles and leadership responsibilities at Freo across AFLW & AFL, after initially being brought in as the Head of Football Operations and Performance.

would this bloke help us

After 3 years at The Fremantle Dockers, Bob Murphy is returning to Victoria at the end of the year due to family reasons. He has held a variety of roles and leadership responsibilities at Freo across AFLW & AFL, after initially being brought in as the Head of Football Operations and Performance.
Solid citizen & grew up a mad Tiger supporter.

Solid citizen & grew up a mad Tiger supporter.
That stuff looks nice on paper but ultimately means nothing and would have zero influence on if anyone wants to join the club

Look at what carlton have.. 22 first round picks
have 17 injury players now have just dropped out of the 8...

Perspective guys!!!

Us
how many first rounders playing for us??
250 games missed in injury's
Haven't played best team probably from 1 st round.

To many injury's and inconsistence in team.
Did you really think we were going to make the finals??
I'm half glass full..
Some good young players got games this year.
looking forward to some Agrade midfielders coming in
Looking forward to bolton going!! he doesn't want to play for us.

Look at what carlton have.. 22 first round picks
have 17 injury players now have just dropped out of the 8...

Perspective guys!!!

Us
how many first rounders playing for us??
250 games missed in injury's
Haven't played best team probably from 1 st round.

To many injury's and inconsistence in team.
Did you really think we were going to make the finals??
I'm half glass full..
Some good young players got games this year.
looking forward to some Agrade midfielders coming in
Looking forward to bolton going!! he doesn't want to play for us.
Likewise for Essendon
They have the most amount of listed first round picks in the comp but are literally the definition on vanilla in terms of an afl side

I want Yze to succeed but he needs to flip a fair few thing around for next year. Our losses in 2025 can't be dour like they are now. Sometimes you can lose by 40 but the signs are there but most of our losses this year have been barely anything we can grab onto.

An injection of youth this draft and next year SHOULD set us up but there's no guarantees.

Our eyes should be laser focussed on a 2029 resurgence. And every move we make should be for 4-5 years from now. No shortcuts, no sugar hits.

Hawks have rebuilt in seemingly 3 years... But they still have 8 players in their team now that were playing in their 2018 final against us.

So they have a great blend of experience and youth, their older guys are also contributing well. Not sure we'll have the same luxury of experience but I think that's OK as long as Taranto, Nank, Hopper, Floss, Balta, Ross etc remain

Last edited:
would this bloke help us

I liked him as a player and in the media. Unsure if I would want him at the club. Would rather we look for better assistants before him and not Knights either.

I want Yze to succeed but he needs to flip a fair few thing around for next year. Our losses in 2025 can't be dour like they are now. Sometimes you can lose by 40 but the signs are there but most of our losses this year have been barely anything we can grab onto.

An injection of youth this draft and next year SHOULD set us up but there's no guarantees.

Our eyes should be laser focussed on a 2029 resurgence. And every move we make should be for 4-5 years from now. No shortcuts, no sugar hits.

Hawks have rebuilt in seemingly 3 years... But they still have 8 players in their team now that were playing in their 2018 final against us.

So they have a great blend of experience and youth, their older guys are also contributing well. Not sure we'll have the same luxury of experience but I think that's OK as long as Taranto, Nank, Hopper, Floss, Balta, Ross etc remain
I'm pretty sure Dimma went through this as well but like I explained, he had the nucleus of some generational talent which Yze doesn't have.

We went through some shit losses with Dimma and head scratching recruiting but look how it panned out... Just need to give him time.

And that's why we need the new CEO appointed asap. We can't set a 5 year plan with kpis every year when our current CEO aint gonna be around to follow it through.

The team continues to be destroyed on transition defence every week, yet I'm not seeing any evidence of structural change to combat this weakness. It's the lack of response that is the concerning part imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back