Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s been a massive disappointment. Clearly not a leader of men or one that can create a strong culture. Might be good at match day tactics but hasn’t even shown that yet. Massive heck up by the club. Just add it to long list of late
Always amazes me how people can label a coach with an unprecedented injury list meaning a number of his best 23 were unavailable during the year, which meant it was near on impossible to build any consistency or cohesion as being no good.

I'd argue it's a lot harder to establish a new culture as a new coach than to simply continue on with what was previously established. IMO Yze has put it to the playing groups that the next couple of seasons could be tough as we rebuild and that those who aren't willing to buy in to rebuilding can go and so we've seen the requests being made.

IMO Yze has built relationships with the group where he will now be able to be more demanding and critical of them than we saw this season and the group will know that it's not a personal attack, but a coach being a coach.

He got the absolute max out of our VFL squad considering who had available due to all the injuries

Will be well deserved for sure
Head coach of a team even VFL is probably more fun than AFL level assistant. The VFL program recruits well, they play well under Morro.

Increase Morris's wage to AFL assistant level, if it ain't already.

Do I follow Richmond?
Good question buddy, here’s a couple of questions for you.
Who is our best recruit over the last four years?
Here’s a list of the top 40 players under the age of 24, how many Richmond players can you find in there?
How many finals have we won in the last four years?

40th. Oliver Dempsey
39th. Trent Rivers
38th. Logan McDonald
37th. Joshua Rachele
36th. James Rowbottom
35th. Jye Caldwell
34th. Jack Ginnivan
33rd. Sam Durham
32nd. Riley Thilthorpe
31st. Jye Amiss
30th. Nic Martin
29th. Jordan Clark
28th. Will Ashcroft
27th. Cody Weightman
26th. Harley Reid
25th. Mac Andrew
24th. Joshua Weddle
23rd. Kysaiah Pickett
22nd. Jai Newcombe
21st. Sam De Koning (We picked Brown instead)
20th. Luke Jackson
19th. Matt Rowell
18th. Massimo D'Ambrosio
17th. Joshua Treacy
16th. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (we Picked Gibcus)
15th. Sam Darcy
14th. Tom Green
13th. Sam Flanders
12th. Hayden Young
11th. Noah Anderson
10th. Will Day
9th. Max Holmes
8th. Caleb Serong
7th. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
6th. Chad Warner
5th. Jason Horne-Francis
4th. Harry Sheezel
3rd. Errol Gulden
2nd. Zak Butters
1st. Who else? Nick Daicos.
i have bolded all the players we could have gotten... all this list tells me is that we should have poached sydneys or Geelong recruiting staff.

The top 15 players all were draft picks that we did not have

Also noah balta should be on that list

Always amazes me how people can label a coach with an unprecedented injury list meaning a number of his best 23 were unavailable during the year, which meant it was near on impossible to build any consistency or cohesion as being no good.

I'd argue it's a lot harder to establish a new culture as a new coach than to simply continue on with what was previously established. IMO Yze has put it to the playing groups that the next couple of seasons could be tough as we rebuild and that those who aren't willing to buy in to rebuilding can go and so we've seen the requests being made.

IMO Yze has built relationships with the group where he will now be able to be more demanding and critical of them than we saw this season and the group will know that it's not a personal attack, but a coach being a coach.
We haven't had a group of senior players head for the door at the end of this year since Wood, Raines and Cloke did at the end of 82 under Francis Bourke. Maurice Rioli tried to also and we held on to him.

Bourke was a mistake; the players didn't respect him as a coach and it resulted in 30yrs+ of pain. Let's hope history doesn't repeat but so far its going the same way.

Bolton, Dusty, Baker, Rioli & Graham all exiting has to tell you something is not right at the joint. Even Spud and Terry Wallet managed to hold on to our best players. Only Brad Ottens pee'd off when Spud was in charge.

i have bolded all the players we could have gotten... all this list tells me is that we should have poached sydneys or Geelong recruiting staff.

As a club we chose a direction and backed in Hardwick and what he wanted, then he walked because he didn’t see success and Yze is having to deal with the consequences of those choices.

It’s the failure to make regenerating the list a priority 3 years ago that’s contributing to where we are now and the development of players we’ve brought in as well.

I hope to hear some more assertive language in the pressers next year from him and other things but this year is just a free hit for him, IMO

*the list is Players under 24 years of age.
So players who have come into the system within the last 5 years or so.

Balta is 25 in Oct

We haven't had a group of senior players head for the door at the end of this year since Wood, Raines and Cloke did at the end of 82 under Francis Bourke. Maurice Rioli tried to also and we held on to him.

Bourke was a mistake; the players didn't respect him as a coach and it resulted in 30yrs+ of pain. Let's hope history doesn't repeat but so far its going the same way.

Bolton, Dusty, Baker, Rioli & Graham all exiting has to tell you something is not right at the joint. Even Spud and Terry Wallet managed to hold on to our best players. Only Brad Ottens pee'd off when Spud was in charge.
Everyone points at them leaving and says it's due to Yze being no good, but nobody wants to consider that maybe the players, Bolton & Rioli in particular as they're contracted, aren't willing to go through a couple of tough years as we rebuild and instead have opted for the easier option of going to play for sides that is likely to be in the mix for finals. Baker was out of contract and the chance to move back home was too good to knock back.

Problem with this is that it doent't suit the narrative that Yze is a poor coach

Everyone points at them leaving and says it's due to Yze being no good, but nobody wants to consider that maybe the players, Bolton & Rioli in particular as they're contracted, aren't willing to go through a couple of tough years as we rebuild and instead have opted for the easier option of going to play for sides that is likely to be in the mix for finals. Baker was out of contract and the chance to move back home was too good to knock back.

Problem with this is that it doent't suit the narrative that Yze is a poor coach
Players don't leave clubs they are happy at.

Yze wasn't given a chance by the senior players, who have been undisciplined and lazy for the last few years.

We need to move on at Richmond from the Dynasty era now.

Yze needs to be ruthless now, Mr nice guy hasn't worked, he's got an incredible draft hand, he can build the list he wants and there will be some good young talent remaining for him

Players don't leave clubs they are happy at.
That's not true. Plenty of players have moved on from clubs they are happy at. Often times its for more game time or money or chances of team success.

That's not true. Plenty of players have moved on from clubs they are happy at. Often times its for more game time or money or chances of team success.
It’s the same as most careers: talent moves to chase opportunity, success, dollars, etc. The days of playing for one team or working for one company has been dead and buried for years, especially for top talent.

Or for family members
Tim Kelly loved playing for Geelong but circumstances meant that returning to WA was a better fit for his loved ones

It’s the same as most careers: talent moves to chase opportunity, success, dollars, etc. The days of playing for one team or working for one company has been dead and buried for years, especially for top talent.
It’s just an extension of the “Americanisation” of our game
Player movement is only going to continue to get more and more common

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or for family members
Tim Kelly loved playing for Geelong but circumstances meant that returning to WA was a better fit for his loved ones
When Baker, Bolton say Family reasons people say It’s not acceptable. As someone said people change jobs or careers all the time. AFL is no different.

When Baker, Bolton say Family reasons people say It’s not acceptable. As someone said people change jobs or careers all the time. AFL is no different.
Absolutely,
If they were moving to another state or another Victorian club I would understand the questions being asked but when they are literally moving to their home states where their family live it shouldn’t be difficult to see that the reasons behind moving are genuine

It’s just part of the risk we took when we recruited guys from another state, the same as any club and when we have benefited with players wanting to return to vic

The only one I’m personally a little frustrated with is Rioli since he has no direct ties to the Gold Coast

Do any of our players leaving have kids with special needs?
Did Tom Lynch or Dion Prestia have kids with special needs when they decided to move back to Victoria and join Richmond or was it acceptable for them to move to be closer to family because they joined us, rather than leaving us?

Did Tom Lynch or Dion Prestia have kids with special needs when they decided to move back to Victoria and join Richmond or was it acceptable for them to move to be closer to family because they joined us, rather than leaving us?
GC was a basket case at the time. Same same u reckon?

I’m sick of the sugar coating over a bunch of selfish players exiting when things get tough. It’s pathetic

GC was a basket case at the time. Same same u reckon?

I’m sick of the sugar coating over a bunch of selfish players exiting when things get tough. It’s pathetic
Baker has been linked to returning to WA for like 2 years and Bolton is for family reasons that make sense given they are expecting a 2nd child that changes the circumstances at home pretty dramatically

Rolli seems to be moving because it works well for both him and his new fiancé

Not everything needs to be some grand conspiracy against Richmond and taken personally

We saw what the impact of injuries had on clubs with better lists than ours had
How many games did blues win last 10w
Freo last 4w
Our injuries set in immediately after we beat Sydney , losing lynch Balta Taranto and Ross

Baker has been linked to returning to WA for like 2 years and Bolton is for family reasons that make sense given they are expecting a 2nd child that changes the circumstances at home pretty dramatically

Rolli seems to be moving because it works well for both him and his new fiancé

Not everything needs to be some grand conspiracy against Richmond and taken personally
Sugar Coating.

Shaun Burgoyne, Pickett, Betts all had 4 kids and none of them had to move home for family reasons

Another hindsight king. Here’s a free tip, life’s easy in hindsight

Listening to Kingsley's press conference he always seem just dour & too serious and hard on his players. that will tire out a group.

I feel like you need a good balance between compassion & edgey. I feel like Yze is too soft well he has been.
Kingsley is the complete opposite, I honestly reckon guys like Chris Scott, Craig McRae & Dimma before he lost his mind is the perfect balance in modern coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back