Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams will be onto him now so it will be interesting to see if he keeps up the same form. Hopefully he does so we don’t have to give up the biggest draft haul in history for Ben King.

If you sit on Sharman you get hit by King. Snags and Membrey need minding too. The forward line is stacked. Gresh and Billings might need time forward too.

He is the player I'll be watching with more interest than any other Saint come Round 1. Has generated enormous discussion on the board for a 5 gamer.:laughing:

And Ben King -a solid no from me. Understand the appeal of it . Probably like a few here I was at the Essendon game at Moorabbin in 1990 to see the 4 Daniher boys play in the same side. The Rocca brothers and David Cloke wanting all his sons to play at the one club [ probably so his wife and himself could just go to one game on the weekend ] should both be a cautionary tale.

IMO from a club point of view would be too much $ tied up into the 2 brothers- and from Ben King's perspective financially it would be a solid no as well.

It's going to be an intestine patch from that perspective. If Sharman stays as good as he has been then King is going to be hard to fit cash, trade and position wise.

It's going to be an intestine patch from that perspective. If Sharman stays as good as he has been then King is going to be hard to fit cash, trade and position wise.

Ben’s auditioned and we’ve liked what we’ve seen.

Now would be a good time for him to start playing like David Windbanks or Paul Cahill.

A future fourth should then see the deal done (perhaps a future 5th if we can convince him to randomly collapse at training every few sessions )

If you sit on Sharman you get hit by King. Snags and Membrey need minding too. The forward line is stacked. Gresh and Billings might need time forwar

Sorry to hijack this Cooper Sharman thread!!!

Will be interesting to get other Saints perspective , but that is exactly why Ben is a no from me.
3 reasons as you say - Amount of $ and draft capital outlay way too much, he and plays the same posy as his twin.
In the rep sides before drafting, Max played up forward and Ben down back and were both basically unbeatable from all reports. Max was always regarded as the better of the King boys however, so we got the right one. 👌 But you could possibly raise an argument , particularly with our current situation at CHB that Ben could return to this position. [ hope that position is sorted by season end however]

Just to pluck some figures from my backside [ no expert on player worth ] but Essendon from example could pay Ben 1.3 million a year as a marquee player where at St.Kilda he may get 800,000- 900,000 as we already have Max. If we payed Ben and Max both market value we would have way too much investment into 2 players who play the same position.

Interesting to get other views, but I reckon we have enough in that area, and can't afford to gamble on Ben. But looking forward to Sharman next season. He looks a real prospect.

Ben’s auditioned and we’ve liked what we’ve seen.

Now would be a good time for him to start playing like David Windbanks or Paul Cahill.

A future fourth should then see the deal done (perhaps a future 5th if we can convince him to randomly collapse at training every few sessions )
David Windbanks :laughing: - bloody hell they were miserable times!!:'(

Sorry to hijack this Cooper Sharman thread!!!

Will be interesting to get other Saints perspective , but that is exactly why Ben is a no from me.
3 reasons as you say - Amount of $ and draft capital outlay way too much, he and plays the same posy as his twin.
In the rep sides before drafting, Max played up forward and Ben down back and were both basically unbeatable from all reports. Max was always regarded as the better of the King boys however, so we got the right one. 👌 But you could possibly raise an argument , particularly with our current situation at CHB that Ben could return to this position. [ hope that position is sorted by season end however]

Just to pluck some figures from my backside [ no expert on player worth ] but Essendon from example could pay Ben 1.3 million a year as a marquee player where at St.Kilda he may get 800,000- 900,000 as we already have Max. If we payed Ben and Max both market value we would have way too much investment into 2 players who play the same position.

Interesting to get other views, but I reckon we have enough in that area, and can't afford to gamble on Ben. But looking forward to Sharman next season. He looks a real prospect.
Apologies to the GOAT for littering in his thread.
A few things to note.
. Way too soon to call on GOAT vs Bing
. Bing does not play the same position as Max
. Trade wise, 2 picks in the mid/late teens is perfectly fine. Although we'd probably rather those picks to develop our list further. We might expect a little something back in the exchange too.
. Salery wise it would be better for Ben elsewhere, but it would be better for StKilda to have both Kings at a reduced price.
. The big clubs will offer stuff outside the cap that will be a bigger factor than the difference in salary

The key point is that Ben and his manager will be across all this, but for him its an emotional and lifestyle decision. If he wants in at StKilda we have to do it EOS.

Unless Ben want's to go back to being a defender.
Apologies to the GOAT for littering in his thread.
A few things to note.
. Way too soon to call on GOAT vs Bing
. Bing does not play the same position as Max
. Trade wise, 2 picks in the mid/late teens is perfectly fine. Although we'd probably rather those picks to develop our list further. We might expect a little something back in the exchange too.
. Salery wise it would be better for Ben elsewhere, but it would be better for StKilda to have both Kings at a reduced price.
. The big clubs will offer stuff outside the cap that will be a bigger factor than the difference in salary

The key point is that Ben and his manager will be across all this, but for him its an emotional and lifestyle decision. If he wants in at StKilda we have to do it EOS.
Good points. We have a few things in our favour in potentially landing him . Both brothers being Saints supporters and growing up nearby . Also have no other siblings and of course being twins they are very close . The appeal of playing with Max would be strong.
But he could play elsewhere for more $ and be the big bannana up forward which could be more appealing. Interesting how it plays out .

If he wants in at St Kilda we will have to do it. :think:
Gonna be hard to say no if he nominates us, but if the price is too high still a no from me. Remember how Cochrane screwed the Hawks over O'Meara 5 years ago.

If Ben wanted to come to us, we would move anyone not named Max from the forward line to make it happen.

I follow a footy club, I don't worship the players who haven't proven to deserve it yet, and i'd like to think the club i follow doesn't either.
Did Ben win a Coleman yet?

I follow a footy club, I don't worship the players who haven't proven to deserve it yet, and i'd like to think the club i follow doesn't either.

No, but he’s better than Tom Hickey and Billy Longer.

Combined.

Get him!

No he hasn't won the Coleman yet at 21.But he's done a hell of a lot more than the majority of our forwards already.

And if a talent like him wants to come to your club, you make it happen.

No he hasn't won the Coleman yet at 21.But he's done a hell of a lot more than the majority of our forwards already.

And if a talent like him wants to come to your club, you make it happen.
But make it happen at what cost?? Any cost ??
Remember Carlton gave up Josh Kennedy in the Judd deal after Judd nominated Carlton as his preferred destination. Don't get me wrong Ben King is a terrific young player. But I suspect the asking price if it comes to that, will be extremely high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Ben wanted to come to us, we would move anyone not named Max from the forward line to make it happen.

Ohhh Ben thank you for coming here.
It doesn't matter if you're playing crap, you'll be first selected.
Choose a number you like, doesn't matter if someone else has it.
Is the Coffee in the cafeteria acceptable for you?
Grovel grovel grovel.

But make it happen at what cost?? Any cost ??
Remember Carlton gave up Josh Kennedy in the Judd deal after Judd nominated Carlton as his preferred destination. Don't get me wrong Ben King is a terrific young player. But I suspect the asking price if it comes to that, will be extremely high.
Do you think any Carlton fan is upset they got Chris Judd? Was a great player for them.

Yes the asking price would be high, but that's what the top echelon of player costs in a trade.

Do you think any Carlton fan is upset that got Chris Judd? Was a great player for them.

Yes the asking price would be high, but that's what the top echelon of player costs in a trade.
No doubt- reckon some Blues fans would question it now Kennedy is closing 700 goals , a premiership player and still playing long after Judd has retired.
We payed a lot for Hill mind you and IMO he is not that sort of player.
But on Ben , you have no reservations that we should get him regardless of cost?

No doubt- reckon some Blues fans would question it now Kennedy is closing 700 goals , a premiership player and still playing long after Judd has retired.
We payed a lot for Hill mind you and IMO he is not that sort of player.
But on Ben , you have no reservations that we should get him regardless of cost?
I wouldn't. If Bing was gettable, it would be just as big on field as it would be off.

We are a smaller club and to be the home of both of the Kings would be huge for our relevance. Would give us those big marketing figures, get crowds through the gates, get us more media time etc.

It would be one o those those that puts us on the map and makes us stand out in the Melbourne market.

I've gone a bit cold on Bing as we have more pressing needs.

I think he's just about as proven as he could be at his age though.

The only other two players to kick as many goals as Bing has in his third year are Buddy and Cameron (who did it in his 2nd)

The fact we offered up a future 2nd to move up the draft to get Gibcus says the club agrees we need another quality key defender.

I don't think many would disagree our midfield is a long way off the league's best too.

I wouldn't. If Bing was gettable, it would be just as big on field as it would be off.

We are a smaller club and to be the home of both of the Kings would be huge for our relevance. Would give us those big marketing figures, get crowds through the gates, get us more media time etc.

It would be one o those those that puts us on the map and makes us stand out in the Melbourne market.
Yep, couldn't argue from a marketing perspective.

I know this is the GOAT thread. But if the club wants Ben, then I trust the club. And if they do want him, they have been preparing for this for a while now, it won’t just be impulsive.

In the meantime, it’s very hard not to be happy with Max, and the innate ability of Sharman.

What if Sharman is better. That would be up there for dumb moves. Feel good stories are great but winning is better.

Was a win win scenario. West Coast got a flag out of it and Carlton…
:laughing: Yep - nice to see our old favourites the Blues fall short. 👌
Eagles played in a couple of grand finals with Kennedy kicking truckloads of goals 2015 and 2018 after Judd had retired mid way through 2015. Plus gave the Eagles a first and second [ not great selections mind you] for a 4th. Still a no from me-suspect I'm in the minority of Saints on this one though.

I don't know about that. It would make some Saints fans happy but neither seem like huge personalities off field. Ben particularly looks quite reserved. McKay for Carlton is as good as any KPF going but I doubt he sold them massive amounts of memberships. Winning a premiership would do more and if that means keeping the cheaper but equally as effective Sharman then that would allow us to compete much more in trades to bring in missing pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back