Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call, but are they all playing traditional key forward roles at the same time? Are mobile key forwards also doubling up as tall wingers or midfielders? Can they be switched between forward line and backline if needed?

This team could start the next big trend in football that others may try to emulate. There aren’t many teams with mobile key forwards like the twins, Sharman and Membrey. I think you could flick them to any part of the ground at any time to fill various roles. Such flexibility is a massive weapon.

With the modern trend of wingers doubling up as both forwards and defenders teams are effectively playing both an 8 man forward line and backline. Plenty of room for all of these versatile lads in the team.
depends what you see their roles are.

I feel like a good stat sheet would be
Max with a 3-5 contested marks with most of them inside 50, low disposals, not many tackles, 2-4 goals.
Ben with 6-10 marks a game leading and running his opponent off his feet. 2-4 goals.
Sharman with a fair few marks playing higher up the ground and running around to all the empty space either as a decoy or providing a threat where an opposition defender's gone to double team Max or Ben. goal assists or a sneaky X factor goal.
Membrey almost like a defensive tall forward just providing a contested marking threat with that 2 foot jump and making a mismatch on medium defenders or drawing a tall of Max/Ben.

Gresh and Higgins/Butler crumbing

Completely different circumstance to him retiring

How valuable is he? would walk into any forward line in the AFL, boasts leadership qualities and is a great clubman and probably great to coach

still remember trying to shaft David Grant to get Barry Mitchell and how that wrecked the playing group for a while

You don't think our club should be respectful to players on our list ?

Tim wont be going anywhere only recently signed
I didn't ask how valuable Membrey is. I asked how valuable our Club's soul is if it is contingent on one player.

I'm not saying push him out if he really doesn't want to go. He's obviously a fan of living locally, but if he fancies a new challenge and a bigger pay packet what's the harm?

Still think we should have picked up Quinton Narkle, and maybe drafted Frankie Peckett's oldest as a rookie.

One Ace, two Kings, one Quin, and a handful of Jacks; that's a hell of a hand

Yes! Can’t believe I forgot the Jacks….sheesh!

I do too, I heard a rumour last time that we were neck deep into King that his name came up. Not sure how accurate it was though.

I’m sure every other club would ask the question just as I’m equally sure they’d be shot down in flames.

I didn't ask how valuable Membrey is. I asked how valuable our Club's soul is if it is contingent on one player.

I'm not saying push him out if he really doesn't want to go. He's obviously a fan of living locally, but if he fancies a new challenge and a bigger pay packet what's the harm?
who in their right mind would want to go and play for GC ?

Watch insta and the social media stuff and you can see how much Tim is loved and respected by his team mates

Look i would love Ben at the club but like I keep saying at the right price, I would rather a flag then a feel good story

Like when he stayed in Shitsville for cash? Essendon would offer him a property portfolio and all sorts of incentives. Depends how much he loves playing and training next to his brother I guess.

This will be the test that other clubs hope will lure Bing away from both the Suns and the Saints. I suspect his management will want him to go in the direction you mentioned. But let’s see what happens.

If our club's soul depends on one player leaving, how valuable is it really? What happens when he retires, we just whither away? He's bloody great, but he's not Harvey or Roo.

The danger is in the huge churn that we have already done over the last 5 years probably. 6 players left from the 2015 list. Webster, Geary, Ross, Membrey, Billings and Sinclair.

Webster was as good as gone if not for Paton getting Roughed up, Geary is cooked and only there as a mascot because he is the only player that has more than 10 years at the club, Ross was told to piss off to somewhere that wanted him, Billings see Ross, was told to shop himself around and Sinclair has only just made it to be a regular best 22 in the last 2 seasons.

That leaves Membrey as one of our few senior players that have any connection to the generations at the club. It leaves us vulnerable to a foreign legion temporary vibe.

If we had more of a culture and solid core I think you'd potentially shop him but we have put ourselves in a delicate spot due to the extreme turn over of the list over the last few years.

I’m sure every other club would ask the question just as I’m equally sure they’d be shot down in flames.

It sounded the other way around. I thought nothing of it at the time but then Stavro or another ITK came on here and put it up as a hypothetical at the same time. Might have been more a GC demand that was discussed internally rather than a plan though.

who in their right mind would want to go and play for GC ?

Watch insta and the social media stuff and you can see how much Tim is loved and respected by his team mates

Look i would love Ben at the club but like I keep saying at the right price, I would rather a flag then a feel good story

The danger is the Coasters hitting a vein of form together or a gun coach walking in the door. If they scraped into finals this year a few go home kids might lock themselves away.

That leaves Membrey as one of our few senior players that have any connection to the generations at the club. It leaves us vulnerable to a foreign legion temporary vibe.

If we had more of a culture and solid core I think you'd potentially shop him but we have put ourselves in a delicate spot due to the extreme turn over of the list over the last few years.

Agree, we really need some serious Roo+Lenny level leadership to grow from the young guys soon or anything could happen to the culture.

He's no certainty but he's certainly had one of the best first 4 games of any forward I can remember. Bing probably kicks less with his brother also sharing the spoils. I like Sharman because he plays a complimentary style to Max. There is no guarantee two Kings will be a great fit.
Jake Riccardi's first 5 games for GWS in 2020 were similar to what Sharman did. He then struggled to make their best 22 this year despite them losing their best forward.

Max and Ben are both very different styles of forwards. If they cant work together, then no key forwards can work together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The danger is the Coasters hitting a vein of form together or a gun coach walking in the door. If they scraped into finals this year a few go home kids might lock themselves away.
I wouldn't put stolen money on them playing finals

depends what you see their roles are.

I feel like a good stat sheet would be
Max with a 3-5 contested marks with most of them inside 50, low disposals, not many tackles, 2-4 goals.
Ben with 6-10 marks a game leading and running his opponent off his feet. 2-4 goals.
Sharman with a fair few marks playing higher up the ground and running around to all the empty space either as a decoy or providing a threat where an opposition defender's gone to double team Max or Ben. goal assists or a sneaky X factor goal.
Membrey almost like a defensive tall forward just providing a contested marking threat with that 2 foot jump and making a mismatch on medium defenders or drawing a tall of Max/Ben.

Gresh and Higgins/Butler crumbing

Maybe we are just drinking our own bath water, but now could any team defend against that much fire power. Every team gets inside 50s and with an arsenal like that we’d be scoring relentlessly.

Max will be the best contested mark in the league at some point if not soon, Ben is a proven lead up goal kicker, Sharman is all potential from what we have seen so far but he’s a perfect foil, Membrey is the reliable wiser head, and Gresh, Butler, Higgins are very quality small forwards in my eyes, Higgins ain’t a bad overhead mark either.

I mean you take Ben out of the picture and it’s still a very attractive forward line if Sharman keeps excelling enough to give King and Membrey space.

Can seriously see why we like the looks of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera / Brad Hill delivering the ball inside 50, that’s a real weapon. I like the way Byrnes delivers inside 50 as well, caught my eye a couple of times last season.

I wouldn't put stolen money on them playing finals

At some point their stock pile will start to fire surely. The kids they have now are starting to look like they will be a great crop. Miller is a gun and he's going to get Witts back to feed him. Witts is their leader and only true ruck. Then you have King, Anderson, Luko, Rankine, Rowell etc and still have Hollands to come in. I like Sharp and a few of their other kids too. They should start to get some flowers on the vine soon but holding the list together will be hard for them.

Maybe we are just drinking our own bath water, but now could any team defend against that much fire power. Every team gets inside 50s and with an arsenal like that we’d be scoring relentlessly.

Max will be the best contested mark in the league at some point if not soon, Ben is a proven lead up goal kicker, Sharman is all potential from what we have seen so far but he’s a perfect foil, Membrey is the reliable wiser head, and Gresh, Butler, Higgins are very quality small forwards in my eyes, Higgins ain’t a bad overhead mark either.

I mean you take Ben out of the picture and it’s still a very attractive forward line if Sharman keeps excelling enough to give King and Membrey space.

Can seriously see why we like the looks of Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera / Brad Hill delivering the ball inside 50, that’s a real weapon. I like the way Byrnes delivers inside 50 as well, caught my eye a couple of times last season.
Laid out like I did I honestly can’t see us kicking scores of less than 80 all season. The talls are good for 10 goals between them the smalls at least 4 then a couple from our mids.

if defence tightens up we’re a prelim side if not grand final side.

That would be good as Ben King would be easier to get considering he is odds on to request a trade to the Saints.

Meanwhile our midfield is stillshit and none of our forwards get the ball in the same half. That's the future I see with bing..
Yep Steele, Crouch, Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Gres and Clark are all shit. Are you new to football?

That would be good as Ben King would be easier to get considering he is odds on to request a trade to the Saints.
If they suddenly find some forwards even better than Ben king then they’ll be less reluctant to trade him to us. It’s only an issue because he’s currently their only good player

Yep Steele, Crouch, Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Gres and Clark are all sh*t. Are you new to football?
Why are you so aggressive Joffa? People are allowed to have an opinion without you jumping down their throats just cos you disagree. It's no big secret that our midfield doesn't stack up with the top teams. Adding nothing to that midfield isn't gonna magically make it better mate, so what's your solution to solving the problem we have of an underperforming midfield when you want to trade all the capital we have for another kpf?

At some point their stock pile will start to fire surely. The kids they have now are starting to look like they will be a great crop. Miller is a gun and he's going to get Witts back to feed him. Witts is their leader and only true ruck. Then you have King, Anderson, Luko, Rankine, Rowell etc and still have Hollands to come in. I like Sharp and a few of their other kids too. They should start to get some flowers on the vine soon but holding the list together will be hard for them.
I just don't see it, i agree they have heaps of talent on there list but that talent doesn't want to be there.
King will come home
Rankine went backwards, I would put money on him being back in SA sooner than later
Anderson wants out 100%
Just have a look at how they handled Greenwood they're a million miles away from it, think most managers would be doing everything they can to get their players out of there

Why are you so aggressive Joffa? People are allowed to have an opinion without you jumping down their throats just cos you disagree. It's no big secret that our midfield doesn't stack up with the top teams. Adding nothing to that midfield isn't gonna magically make it better mate, so what's your solution to solving the problem we have of an underperforming midfield when you want to trade all the capital we have for another kpf?
I think our midfield has issues when half are injured. Very different scenario between 20 and 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back