Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently wasn't a slip , it was multiple slips to several players, done for the year I'm guessing.

The kid needs to concentrate on his footy not throwing insults as I'm sure he wouldn't like it coming back the other way
This could elevate it to a very significant ban. Finlayson & Powell both made a single comment that got them weeks (in Powells case five), so if he has repeatedly used a slur against multiple opposition players the league will rightfully come down on him like a ton of bricks.

This is very disappointing, especially considering the work done by the club in this space. He's going to cop a fair whack, but he's 19 and the response should have a significant focus on education.
Exactly. The club can not have influenced somebody that is 19 years old, in less than a year, more than their previous environment has.

The behavior is unacceptable, obviously, but the opportunity to address and reform that that is also at its highest potential as well.

Last edited:
Agree. Young indigenous kid already struggling in the big smoke.

A few here seem quick to want to throw him under the bus.

At this stage it’s an investigation into an alleged remark.

Maybe he said nothing. Maybe he said something in his shy voice that was misunderstood. And even if he did say something, how bad was it? People may say that doesn’t matter but perhaps he called someone a fairy and they got upset. There are certainly degrees of hate that constitute hate speech.

Let’s perhaps wait and see how things play out before his club’s own supporters start judging a first year player.
The club can support him and not tolerate homophobic slurs if they are true. Both actions are not mutually exclusive.
Nobody is saying to hang draw and quarter the kid, Christ we were all 19 once, and while he would have had AFL coaching on community standards and also seen that players have been suspended this season for homophobic, an immature kid can still say stupid stuff in the heat of the moment.

Everyone learns from their mistakes. Its his time to learn, and with support for the club, Auntie Katrina, the other first nations players and the AFL, he will learn a good lesson.

It's on the club to properly educate our players thst these words are not tolerated in the AFL by club, media or fans. Properly educate, not just saying it and moving on, but giving all first and second years case studies and clear warning what they can expect if they don't get these insults out of their vocabulary.

I guess the ensuing ban will be his education, but hope the club is also learning from this, can't allow their players to let themselves get rubbed out for this sort of rubbish.

Extremely disappointing. After multiple instances already in the league this year, you'd hope players knew better than to use homophobic language.

That said, I agree with others that I hope the club goes the education route rather than doubling down on the (rightfully) strong punishment from the AFL. He's still a teenager and someone who has seemingly already been struggling this year. I hope we use this as a turning point for not just his career but for his life and get him to understand why that language is so hurtful.

Will ask my nephew if he heard anything, he was playing on him for a bit on Saturday.

My nephew would have laughed if he was slurred, but that's not the issue. If Collard has done this, he should know better and will cop a suspension.
The time of racial and sexuality slurs are gone, no matter how frustrated you are.

And a week after the Pride game. Saints wont take this lightly if true.
apparantly he said it to a few of the willy players

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We must remember Lance is a young aboriginal man away from his aboriginal support structures and finding is way in Melbourne and the afl with the pressure of a new contract pressing.
Good to see him finally get fired up actually. Maybe next time just to watch his choice of insults.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must remember Lance is a young aboriginal man away from his aboriginal support structures and finding is way in Melbourne and the afl with the pressure of a new contract pressing.
Good to see him finally get fired up actually. Maybe next time just to watch his choice of insults.

Why do Aboriginals always get a free pass? The ABC will always report someone is Aboriginal for a good news story but no mention when they are homophobic. Same for Muslims, minorities get a free pass to be homophobic and their culture is never blamed, when often it's part of it. I don't really care personally I'm a straight white male but I don't give a shit about someone's background when it comes to punishment. Same rule for everyone.

apparantly he said it to a few of the willy players

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably just a general insult he likes to use against anyone, that he hasn't learned to turn off.

I hope my old car wasn't too offended, Back in the day i used to call it all sorts of things while i was working on it.

I hope my old car wasn't too offended, Back in the day i used to call it all sorts of things while i was working on it.

Alec Baldwin called his gun nasty names and it ended up being triggered.

Honest question. Are all slurs considered a suspendible offence or only racial and homophobic slurs?

Can they say stuff about each other's partners... families... etc?

No one minded when Brett insulted Michael's mum, though i guess it wasn't an insult.

Why do Aboriginals always get a free pass? The ABC will always report someone is Aboriginal for a good news story but no mention when they are homophobic. Same for Muslims, minorities get a free pass to be homophobic and their culture is never blamed, when often it's part of it. I don't really care personally I'm a straight white male but I don't give a shit about someone's background when it comes to punishment. Same rule for everyone.
Right so, some kid from a backwater community in WA should be expected to be as woke as some kid growing up in an inclusive urban metropolis?

Since he came to Melbourne, i doubt he focused on much else apart from settling in and working on his footy, the club might have given him a couple of hours of "sensitivity training" or something and if he cared to, he might have taken notice of the Finlayson - Clarkson media reports and had a moment to reflect but I doubt it.

He'll learn the hard way.

Would be interesting to know what instigated it. Maybe nothing. Maybe something.
I guess we'll wait and see what the facts are when the dust settles.

I'm loathe to comment until we know what the facts are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back