Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

People taking offense to crap said on the field is a joke.

Toughen up - I have been called far worse - but who cares
Short sighted. I live in Sydney in the 70's and 80's where '****ter' bashing was rife. In the Northern beaches area's there were quite a few murders of places frequented by gay men (still a big no no in the 70's and 80's where gays were doxxed and outed and lost jobs and accommodation) for casual sex.
The reason we are where we are today is that homophobia was stamped out. It is a thin edge of the wedge to regress back to bashing and alienation.

Short sighted. I live in Sydney in the 70's and 80's where '****ter' bashing was rife. In the Northern beaches area's there were quite a few murders of places frequented by gay men (still a big no no in the 70's and 80's where gays were doxxed and outed and lost jobs and accommodation) for casual sex.
The reason we are where we are today is that homophobia was stamped out. It is a thin edge of the wedge to regress back to bashing and alienation.
Calling someone a bad name - is far from bashing people.

People are getting killing in Ukraine and Gaza and we are worried someones called Covksucker.

Yep agree, but he can do all that while hes serving a suspension

Hopefully but I reckon suspensions are likely to make some players resentful instead or respectful. The media humiliation, the feeling like other people do it and don't face consequences are unlikely to change them other than hopefully make them not do it in public.

I prefer education over punishment. Hopefully he takes the hit, goes back, works hard and is a better person but I doubt he'll get more than a playing ban and learn to keep his mouth shut.

And it stopped when you left? Hmmm.

Honest question. Are all slurs considered a suspendible offence or only racial and homophobic slurs?

Can they say stuff about each other's partners... families... etc?
I think if it crossed enough of a line then probably tbh. If someone had something traumatic happen to a loved one and then someone used that as a sledge I reckon it would be looked at too.

The whole thing about education people tend to miss is it’s not about “don’t be stupid and get caught saying it.”

Education should be “this is why saying __ is harmful to __ community. They should learn why they shouldn’t say it and not just because getting caught gets them suspended”

Which tbh someone of indigenous Australian descent should be aware of. Racism while a different form of bigotry is something many players in the afl have had to deal with.

Why do Aboriginals always get a free pass? The ABC will always report someone is Aboriginal for a good news story but no mention when they are homophobic. Same for Muslims, minorities get a free pass to be homophobic and their culture is never blamed, when often it's part of it. I don't really care personally I'm a straight white male but I don't give a shit about someone's background when it comes to punishment. Same rule for everyone.

What a sad, sad comment. ‘Aboriginals always get a free pass’. Seriously one of the worst comments I have seen on Big Footy. A sad reflection of your understanding of the trauma of Aboriginal people.

Calling someone a bad name - is far from bashing people.

People are getting killing in Ukraine and Gaza and we are worried someones called Covksucker.
There is no moral equivalence. My God so everything that is topical in football has to be measured against a war? Give me a break.
And homophobic slurs are the thin edge of the wedge back to normalising and others who happen to be homosexual.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a sad, sad comment. ‘Aboriginals always get a free pass’. Seriously one of the worst comments I have seen on Big Footy. A sad reflection of your understanding of the trauma of Aboriginal people.
It's pretty sad. Just like the Paul Kelly song 'Special Treatment'.
People still believe this absolute tripe.

Ironic isnt it...... a black fella using a homophobic slur.

I would never stoop to calling anyone a poo@ter or a fa@got. Would never enter my head....seriously..

Yet at Saints games, I have yelled and used the c%on word on oppo players of a particular skin colour. Thought I was being clever....wouldn't do it now....education my marurity and also society norms move on.

So my point is a black fella who would know all about racist slurs....still goes out and does something stupid to another minority group. So racism etc is not characterised by specific demographic WASP males, etc, but by a lack of education and social interaction with other society demographics whatever the colour of our skin or the sexual orientation we prefer.

Just takes time to integrate and change behaviour. Lance's action is just a speed hump on his highway of life.

He takes his medicine we all learn from his and others mistakes and move on...one less societal issue now realigned.. we all learn together.

Oh and Go Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole meeting in toilets thing is kind of weird and seedy, gay or not.
I had coffee with a mate in Dandenong. A few weeks later we're at the same place and he says to me, " last time we were here , i went across the road to the dunny, i was hoping to have a piss, this other guy was there and he was hoping for something else, i guess we both left disappointed ".

Not Cool gay guy. The toilets are for everyone dude.

Ironic isnt it...... a black fella using a homophobic slur.

I would never stoop to calling anyone a poo@ter or a fa@got. Would never enter my head....seriously..

Yet at Saints games, I have yelled and used the c%on word on oppo players of a particular skin colour. Thought I was being clever....wouldn't do it now....education my marurity and also society norms move on.

So my point is a black fella who would know all about racist slurs....still goes out and does something stupid to another minority group. So racism etc is not characterised by specific demographic WASP males, etc, but by a lack of education and social interaction with other society demographics whatever the colour of our skin or the sexual orientation we prefer.

Just takes time to integrate and change behaviour. Lance's action is just a speed hump on his highway of life.

He takes his medicine we all learn from his and others mistakes and move on...one less societal issue now realigned.. we all learn together.

Oh and Go Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When i was at School, P*****r was the goto.
"Dead Leg!!!!!" "Arrrghh...you got me good ya f*ing P****".
normally you said it to your mates, and not really to anyone you thought might actually be gay.

f****t was not really used.

So my point is a black fella who would know all about racist slurs....still goes out and does something stupid to another minority group.
This point has been made by a few posters.

However just to clarify, and in no way defending Lance, these guys have experienced racist slurs whereby someone non-indigenous has made derogatory comments to them, with those comments specifically being derogatory about their race.

Unless the Williamstown players were knowingly homosexual, Lance had used homosexual slurs against non-homosexual men (a non minority group). He would therefore not regard it as an attack on a minority group but rather an insult to opponents.

Only a small point, but one worth making IMO.

This point has been made by a few posters.

However just to clarify, and in no way defending Lance, these guys have experienced racist slurs whereby someone non-indigenous has made derogatory comments to them, with those comments specifically being derogatory about their race.

Unless the Williamstown players were knowingly homosexual, Lance had used homosexual slurs against non-homosexual men (a non minority group). He would therefore not regard it as an attack on a minority group but rather an insult to opponents.

Only a small point, but one worth making IMO.
I'm afraid society cannot grasp such complex scenarios these days.
It matters not in this case. Lance needs to learn.

No, I’m not looking for excuses. You can’t say that these days and he’ll cop a punishment.

I’m commenting on the sheer hypocrisy of the AFL when dealing with an experienced coach who has allegedly already had some history at his previous club, and has in fact definitely made homophobic slurs to our players, getting a slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf.

It’s a shocking look.
Another very good point, Lance should get a suspended sentence like Clarko

If Lance gets suspended for a few naughty words whilst Clarko got off twice, something is very seriously wrong.
Yeah the AFL got the Clarko one wrong. Massive difference from heat of moment on field to a coach that has 10 mins post incident to say something.

What I would say is that a first year player should be given more support than players that have been in the AFL system a while.

Also if reports are true was anyone from Sandy letting Lance know that he can’t use these words? Was their any on field support.

I think education over a suspension is more appropriate for a first year player.

If Lance gets suspended for a few naughty words whilst Clarko got off twice, something is very seriously wrong.
The AFL said they were going to suspend players for making the slur. Since then two players have made the slur and the penalty has increased each time.

Lance should have known exactly what was coming if he got called out for the slur. He has no excuse.

If it was some other slur then maybe there'd be a grey area but the league has made it clear they're not standing for this one.

Hopefully he can learn from this moment, if you want to be an AFL player you have to take this stuff seriously

Lance needs to not use that language on the field. So he'll cop a penalty... fair enough.

But him using that slur to straight males is a very different thing to someone using a racial slur to a black person.

I feel like that distinction is getting lost a bit.

No, I'm not saying what he said is ok.

Yes, I'm aware that one of the players could potentially have been gay.

But it's not like he walked up to an openly gay man and used that slur to insult him because of his sexuality. That's a different thing.

Lance needs to not use that language on the field. So he'll cop a penalty... fair enough.

But him using that slur to straight males is a very different thing to someone using a racial slur to a black person.

I feel like that distinction is getting lost a bit.

No, I'm not saying what he said is ok.

Yes, I'm aware that one of the players could potentially have been gay.

But it's not like he walked up to an openly gay man and used that slur to insult him because of his sexuality. That's a different thing.
It's still not a good look to use such a derogatory term about gay people though. It suggests he has some fairly serious learning to do in that area.

For a lot of people if they called a work colleague a fa**** they'd be fired on the spot so hopefully he takes this opportunity and stops using the language and maybe tries to get an understanding of why it's a really bad word.

Let’s get this straight as people are either misinformed or misconstruing due to different words being thrown about.

Lance is not being accused of saying c***sucker

Lance is being accused of saying f***ot

This is not a “naughty” word. It has as much hatred and vitriol as the n-word.

The whole meeting in toilets thing is kind of weird and seedy, gay or not.
I had coffee with a mate in Dandenong. A few weeks later we're at the same place and he says to me, " last time we were here , i went across the road to the dunny, i was hoping to have a piss, this other guy was there and he was hoping for something else, i guess we both left disappointed ".

Not Cool gay guy. The toilets are for everyone dude.
The North Shore murders weren't toilets, they were secluded bushland areas.

I have always found the toilet thing a bit seedy as well but to each their own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back