Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on so if the slurs being directed to a non homosexual, it's OK?

How about a white player running around calling other white players the N word?

For a start it would be incredibly stupid, but it is also a racial slur regardless.

Some mental gymnastics needed to say if as alleged, Collard repeatedly used the word f****t, but the players weren't gay he should be let off.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think anyone around here is suggesting Clarko got a fitting punishment for his words.

Clarko is a repeat offender too - Collard is a green first year player.

But that doesn't mean Collard should not or is not going to get his right whack - it means that Clarko got off easy. As usual.

I don't think anyone around here is suggesting Clarko got a fitting punishment for his words.

Clarko is a repeat offender too - Collard is a green first year player.

But that doesn't mean Collard should not or is not going to get his right whack - it means that Clarko got off easy. As usual.

YGi76ZF.gif

For a start it would be incredibly stupid, but it is also a racial slur regardless.

Some mental gymnastics needed to say if as alleged, Collard repeatedly used the word f****t, but the players weren't gay he should be let off.

Show me where anyone says it's ok and he should be let off

FMD

No one said he should be let off. That post clearly stated he deserved a harsh punishment.

It more seemed like they were trying to make the distinction between the slur being used by a hateful bigot and the slur being used as slang by an uneducated idiot who doesn't understand why it is hurtful and unacceptable language.

The n word and other various racial slurs used to be thrown around as jokes when I was a kid. Not always directed at those minorities but just casually. It doesn’t make for a very comfortable environment

I’d expect some of the more experienced guys to pull him aside and calm him down or give him some direction. Yes , is that so unreasonable?
Was it on video?
If it was said in a flurry, not much could have be done. If it was said over the course of 5 mins or a quarter, maybe.

The n word and other various racial slurs used to be thrown around as jokes when I was a kid. Not always directed at those minorities but just casually. It doesn’t make for a very comfortable environment

Kids at schools tend to say the words that are least accepted, so as to impress their mates.
My kids went through a "that's so gay dad" phase. Not in the context that it was gay, but in the context of "gay = crap"

Can't believe some here are trying to downplay this.

"Back in my day people had thicker skins etc..." No they ****ing didn't.

I agree with what Gringo said as far as how to deal with this but it doesn't need to be that or a suspension. Both can and I believe will happen.

Not the end of the world for Lance but needs to learn from it.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which tbh someone of indigenous Australian descent should be aware of. Racism while a different form of bigotry is something many players in the afl have had to deal with.
Homophobic slurs are common to pretty much every society. I don't think we should be assuming that because indigenous people face their own bigotry they are highly sensitive to dishing out bigotry of their own - sexuality/gender, or any other kind. As much as those slurs are terrible, it's a bit of an unfair expectation imo.

They word must be pretty ingrained in him for him to spew it out so many times at different players. Whether it's ingrained because his family/friends used it a lot or whether he's actually got an issue with gay people is just speculation and the punishment won't be based on it. He'd do well to learn to let his football do the talking first. Plenty of time for talking when you've cemented a spot in the ones, and will hopefully have matured by then if it happens.

Well without wishing to downplay anything.

And without looking to excuse Lance, or to “get him off”.

I would still like to hear his story, his version of what took place, before deciding how harshly to judge him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media are carrying on like he has killed someone. The AFL is rife with corruption, the drugs policy is farcical, they cant slow down the concussion rates and players lost to the game and this is the biggest issue in the AFL? Well the woke movement has taken over and become ridiculous.

Surely as a society we should be more concerned about crowd behaviour and the abuse hurled at officials and players in a public forum. It shouldnt be condoned but Lance is an indigenous kid who I'd garuantee would have far worse things said to him as he grew up and played in more competitive sports. These kids are playing a glatiator sport and tempers get heated and things said - educate and fine the kid and move on.

the same Jamie Cripps who is from a country town called Northampton... 450KM north of perth.
Mate, you seem to be obsessed by one small comment I made in a post about Lance.

If it makes you happy I’ll say Lance came from a big city to an even bigger city. Does that make you feel better?

Perhaps just put me on ignore if things like this trouble you so much.

For the record this is my original post:

Agree. Young indigenous kid already struggling in the big smoke.

A few here seem quick to want to throw him under the bus.

At this stage it’s an investigation into an alleged remark.

Maybe he said nothing. Maybe he said something in his shy voice that was misunderstood. And even if he did say something, how bad was it? People may say that doesn’t matter but perhaps he called someone a fairy and they got upset. There are certainly degrees of hate that constitute hate speech.

Let’s perhaps wait and see how things play out before his club’s own supporters start judging a first year player.

Last edited:
Mate, you seem to be obsessed by one small comment I made in a post about Lance.

If it makes you happy I’ll say Lance came from a big city to an even bigger city. Does that make you feel better?

Perhaps just put me on ignore if things like this trouble you so much.

For the record this is my original post:
i'm not obsessed by it... i just find the comments very strange. he's not from a remote community. he's not even from a country town. he's from metropolitan Perth. point that out and you got your back up and started to then point to jamie cripps, which is weirder given he is from a country town.

i think cause the kid is indigenous they're assuming he got drafted out of some remote community up north and there's all this culture shock going on. hence your big smoke comment.

the only strange thing here is your reaction. the double down was even weirder.

the slap on the wrist to Alastair Clarkson especially given his history whilst handing down a >10 week punishment to a pretty immature first year draftee is very very disturbing.

but i guess we knew that. the AFL do not hand out tough punishments to big name players and officials or those at big clubs.

it's all a bit pathetic really.

Wonder who the dibber dobber was.
It could easily have been dealt with by having a quiet word to Bachelor during the break.
If he said it as many times as was reported I'm guessing the entire Williamstown team dobbed him in. From what I've seen reported what he did wasn't exactly subtle.

Swearing is a great Australian tradition. I have lived overseas for a long time, and probably swear too much. My Aussie roots. But I reside in the old fashioned Anglo Saxon swear words. Usually aimed at myself after a less than satisfactory golf shot.

What he is alleged to have said I don’t think is a very effective insult in the first place. Even the Clarko one I wouldn’t contemplate using. And that has nothing to do with any modern woke sensibilities.

Maybe the AFL should issue a glossary of accepted insult words. Sledging is becoming a minefield. Sticks and stones etc. I do agree with someone earlier. You can concuss a guy and get three weeks. But call someone a bad thing you get double. Doesn’t really make sense.

More seriously…. I do feel a bit for the kid. Probably getting some stick from the opposition and he has reacted badly. It happens. He seems a bit fragile in more ways than just in body. Hopefully the club can steer him through it. Education rather than punishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back