Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a bunch of people stuck in the 80s on this board. He's going to cop a hefty suspension and rightfully so. I don't think it should be 10+ weeks but probably the rest of the season and another one or two beyond that. Hopefully he can take it as a learning experience and knuckle down on getting himself both physically and mentally prepared for the life of an AFL player.

So Finlayson gets 3 weeks,Powell gets 5 weeks & now Collard gets 6 weeks, i would of thought education would of been better then a whack or 2 give him 2 educate him & you would probably get a better educated player.
The AFL clearly stated when the Finlayson suspension was handed out that the penalty will become more severe each time someone else offends.

Education will be required alongside the suspension like it was for the others.

Hearing up to 14 weeks. Interesting that if my mail is even close to correct, that opposition players must have taken offence, umpires must have heard it and then lodged reports and that teammates must have been acutely aware of several verbal interactions. Could any one of the stakeholders done something to stop him? Up to 10 sledges directed at different people gives everyone enough time to alert Saints coaching staff that he needed to be removed from the field I would have thought
Just go away.

Hearing up to 14 weeks. Interesting that if my mail is even close to correct, that opposition players must have taken offence, umpires must have heard it and then lodged reports and that teammates must have been acutely aware of several verbal interactions. Could any one of the stakeholders done something to stop him? Up to 10 sledges directed at different people gives everyone enough time to alert Saints coaching staff that he needed to be removed from the field I would have thought
Anyone stop your racist, homophobic coach?

The AFL clearly stated when the Finlayson suspension was handed out that the penalty will become more severe each time someone else offends.

Education will be required alongside the suspension like it was for the others.
no issue's with that but the AFL should of been more harsh on Finlayson if he got 6 maybe that would of been a better deterrent for players to offend.

The AFL missed a golden oppurtunity to stamp their authority.

Oh dear. Take your whack young man. Learn from it. Come back and be better.

The club has been very quiet on this - I'd hoped they'd get out and be contrite before the decision was handed down.
I can understand why they'd wait for the AFL's verdict first, so they can explain what they'll be doing about it on top of that.
Given the club's stance with pride matches and inclusiveness in this area, I'd expect something soon.

Oh dear. Take your whack young man. Learn from it. Come back and be better.

The club has been very quiet on this - I'd hoped they'd get out and be contrite before the decision was handed down.
Not necessary. They're not going to hang him out to dry publicly. Will deal with it inhouse no doubt.
Remember when Richo came out and apologised for Carlisle? Was an awful look. I think it was the beginning of the end for him because some players did not think he had their backs.

did north remove clarkson from the field? oh wait.

Four matches left for Sandy (plus a bye) so I guess that's also the first two games of the new season unless they can squeeze into the top ten, win a final and have the second final the following week. Unlikely I know, but would be cool to not have it hanging over his head all summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four matches left for Sandy (plus a bye) so I guess that's also the first two games of the new season unless they can squeeze into the top ten, win a final and have the second final the following week. Unlikely I know, but would be cool to not have it hanging over his head all summer.
I think it’s based on possible remaining AFL games which just happens to be six. Time for Lance to hit the gym.

incredibley harsh for a young indigenous boy in his 1st AFL season

The AFL was clear that the penalties would keep increasing. I don't think it's harsh for any player to be fair, regardless of ethnic heritage or where they grew up. It's not 1973.

Why are you posting about Clarko in this thread?

Mind you good to hear that Clarko has toned somewhat. So another thirty years and he might get there.

I think it’s important to stamp out the language and focus on educating players as to the impact of the language. However, i think to continue to increase the penalty for every incident is unreasonable. It’s a first time offence. I think 4 and considerable education would have been appropriate.

It doesn’t sit well that you can get 6wks for this but no suspension for punching someone in the face on the field, which to me amounts to endorsement from the afl that that behaviour is acceptable.

I think it’s important to stamp out the language and focus on educating players as to the impact of the language. However, i think to continue to increase the penalty for every incident is unreasonable. It’s a first time offence. I think 4 and considerable education would have been appropriate.

It doesn’t sit well that you can get 6wks for this but no suspension for punching someone in the face on the field, which to me amounts to endorsement from the afl that that behaviour is acceptable.
100%
Now if he re-offended, then whack on extra weeks.

As usual, they don't actually think it through.

St Kilda Football Club can confirm that first-year player Lance Collard has admitted to using a homophobic slur during the Sandringham v Williamstown VFL game over the weekend.

Following an investigation by the AFL Integrity Unit, Collard has been handed a six-game suspension.

“I am incredibly remorseful for my comments and any hurt they may have caused,” Collard said.

“I’m disappointed in myself and fully accept the consequences for my behaviour.

“What I did doesn’t represent my values, or the values of the club. I have apologised to the Williamstown players who were impacted by my behaviour, and unreservedly reiterate that apology to anyone else my conduct affected.”

St Kilda Executive General Manager of Football David Misson said the club was thoroughly disappointed with Collard’s comments and will now look to support him through this process.

“There is no excuse for what Lance said,” Misson said.

“At St Kilda we have a strong policy of supporting the person but challenging the behaviour. Lance’s behaviour in this instance is totally unacceptable, but we will also be strong in our support and education for Lance.

“We have met with Lance and made sure he understands the seriousness of the situation and the depths to which comments of this nature can cause harm.

“We have spoken to Pride Cup, a long-term partner of the club, who will continue to support the club and now look to provide additional education to Lance and the rest of our playing group to ensure that this never happens again.”

well no going back to perth crap till after the final game,added to that the club needs to get him in the gym and on weights for the duration of every st.kilda and sandringham game for the rest of the season,make the most of the situation,put some size on him for 2025

if he doesnt like that then look at trading him,but if we allow him to get back to Perth,we are as weak as piss

Ten times is a bit much to be insulting the oppo no matter what he’s said.
Good to see home finally fire up a bit but how about getting him to focus on his game which has been found somewhat lacking recently.

A swearing story.

In the distant past when I was a primary school teacher, I had an 11 year old boy in my class who every second or third word he said was XXXX. It was so ingrained that even when he was trying to be polite, it would come out as Sir XXX can I go next in the XXXXing game etc. The swearing had got him into huge trouble throughout his school life and with past teachers and other teachers in the school.

We spent an entire school term on substituting XXXX for a new random word we picked from the dictionary each week. This was a game, in which he had to think of the new random word and use it instead of XXXX. After 10 weeks of school, there was a dramatic improvement and we were down to under 10 XXXX's a day.

Parent teacher meeting came up and I was ready, proud to tell his parents of the incredible improvement with his swearing, that would assist him throughout his school life and in the workplace. I had met mum a number of times, but never dad.

Dad entered the room, put out his hand to greet me and then said. "XXXX if the little XXXXer is giving you any XXXXing trouble, just tell me and I will XXXXing deal with it Thanks for all you are XXXXin doing for us, we XXXXin appreciate it." Not surprisingly I then didn't mention my great achievement with their son, but pointed out his other areas of development and improvement.

Don't know Lance and obviously his language was unacceptable, but possibly his background may include a different exposure to swearing than is acceptable or normal in mainstream situations.

Ten times is a bit much to be insulting the oppo no matter what he’s said.
Good to see home finally fire up a bit but how about getting him to focus on his game which has been found somewhat lacking recently.

Its kind of odd that he suddenly started doing it during one game. Unless its been happening all along and no-one worried about it.

I'm sure the players have all been through development sessions at the club where these things are discussed, so I guess the only way to learn if it hasn't sunk in, is to get rubbed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back