Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

May sound a little melodramatic but can't help but think this will be the making (knuckles down and puts in the work) or the breaking (gmtfoh) of Collard in Victoria. Interesting that it came just after talk of him close to signing an extension. I'm guessing we won't be announcing he's signed that contract anytime soon. Pretty tough time for the kid now in the spotlight for the wrong reasons, hopefully he's doin' ok.

incredibley harsh for a young indigenous boy in his 1st AFL season
It shouldn't matter what race he is , the other bloke got five weeks for a once of, lance let it rip several times to several players, he could have easily been given more than six weeks.

The AFL clearly stated when the Finlayson suspension was handed out that the penalty will become more severe each time someone else offends.

Education will be required alongside the suspension like it was for the others.
Okay, so that's interesting. That means in the next few weeks if a player from say the Swans or Carlton offend then that's their season done. Even if it's an A Grader not a nobody kid like Collard.

Let's wait and see if that eventuates and the media reaction if it does.

A swearing story.

In the distant past when I was a primary school teacher, I had an 11 year old boy in my class who every second or third word he said was XXXX. It was so ingrained that even when he was trying to be polite, it would come out as Sir XXX can I go next in the XXXXing game etc. The swearing had got him into huge trouble throughout his school life and with past teachers and other teachers in the school.

We spent an entire school term on substituting XXXX for a new random word we picked from the dictionary each week. This was a game, in which he had to think of the new random word and use it instead of XXXX. After 10 weeks of school, there was a dramatic improvement and we were down to under 10 XXXX's a day.

Parent teacher meeting came up and I was ready, proud to tell his parents of the incredible improvement with his swearing, that would assist him throughout his school life and in the workplace. I had met mum a number of times, but never dad.

Dad entered the room, put out his hand to greet me and then said. "XXXX if the little XXXXer is giving you any XXXXing trouble, just tell me and I will XXXXing deal with it Thanks for all you are XXXXin doing for us, we XXXXin appreciate it." Not surprisingly I then didn't mention my great achievement with their son, but pointed out his other areas of development and improvement.

Don't know Lance and obviously his language was unacceptable, but possibly his background may include a different exposure to swearing than is acceptable or normal in mainstream situations.
Yada yada yada....no excuse.

Sure

Let's never look at an individual with understanding and compassion.

Let's never take any of their circumstances into account.

Let's just sit on our holier than throne and pass judgement.

That's how to move the world forward.
Come off it ...he clearly lost the plot and needs to be sat down and explained that he cant carry on like that in any situation or else piss off back home, where im sure he was hoping his behaviour was going to allow him this opportunity.

Yada yada yada....no excuse.

Great thing about hearing from the uniformed and intolerant, is the chance to illuminate your ignorance. The point of the story wasn't to make excuses for Collard, but simply that to say that sometimes there can be extenuating circumstances behind an incident. A story can be a way of showing a wider truth.

Read again where I said "Don't know Lance and obviously his language was unacceptable." He got 6 weeks and for that it is deserved, as commit the crime, do the time. I wasn't asking for a free pass, or a no suspension sanction, simply that sometimes people come from different backgrounds, make mistakes and learn from it. Hopefully this is the case with you.

Great thing about hearing from the uniformed and intolerant, is the chance to illuminate your ignorance. The point of the story wasn't to make excuses for Collard, but simply that to say that sometimes there can be extenuating circumstances behind an incident. A story can be a way of showing a wider truth.

Read again where I said "Don't know Lance and obviously his language was unacceptable." He got 6 weeks and for that it is deserved, as commit the crime, do the time. I wasn't asking for a free pass, or a no suspension sanction, simply that sometimes people come from different backgrounds, make mistakes and learn from it. Hopefully this is the case with you.
Your story was about an 11 yo kid. I hope that boy matures a tad before he reaches 19 and holds down a high paying job/career

Your story was about an 11 yo kid. I hope that boy matures a tad before he reaches 19 and holds down a high paying job/career
well Findlayson is a 28 year old man. He got half what Lance got.
Lance deserved weeks, but it stinks that a young kid gets double that of a very experienced guy.

And no, please dont tell me the AFL warned that each offence will increase in punishment, it is the most obscene and rediculous attempted policy in history of crime and punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well Findlayson is a 28 year old man. He got half what Lance got.
Lance deserved weeks, but it stinks that a young kid gets double that of a very experienced guy.

And no, please dont tell me the AFL warned that each offence will increase in punishment, it is the most obscene and rediculous attempted policy in history of crime and punishment.
100% it’s making up punishments on the run.
Like the “secret recipe” for deciding on compo picks.
Give a standard 4, 6, whatever weeks for a first offence.
If it happens again, then load it.

Clarkson should be thanking his lucky stars that a coach of a footy club can get away with anything.
And don’t give me the fine rubbish. He’s supposed to be the leader of a club and example to the players. Can you even imagine the fallout if Ross did what Clarko did, and keeps on doing?

Crazy that this is the 3rd time this year for an AFL player, makes you wonder how much these incidents have happened in the past unpunished.

Shows the importance of having a pride game, hopefully Lance can learn and eventually play in one

No doubt gone unpunished countless times.

I have absolutely no idea why we have a pride game though. But that's a whole other topic of discussion.

100% it’s making up punishments on the run.
Like the “secret recipe” for deciding on compo picks.
Give a standard 4, 6, whatever weeks for a first offence.
If it happens again, then load it.

Clarkson should be thanking his lucky stars that a coach of a footy club can get away with anything.
And don’t give me the fine rubbish. He’s supposed to be the leader of a club and example to the players. Can you even imagine the fallout if Ross did what Clarko did, and keeps on doing?
telling you now, if Lyon did it, there would have been hell to pay and Boris or Banger would have bee coaching the opening rounds...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

telling you now, if Lyon did it, there would have been hell to pay and Boris or Banger would have bee coaching the opening rounds...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lucky he just breaks phones. Don’t think there’s a penalty for that.
🤣

If you go to work and call your workmate or customer that slur, you would be sacked.

6 weeks is light.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not excusing the behaviour but it’s not apples and apples. Not sure you can compare the 2 scenarios. I don’t think a work environment mirrors the competitive nature of playing elite sport. Plenty of people who play amateur sport exhibit very different qualities on the sporting field vs in their workplace. I could give you plenty of vulgar examples from middle aged people playing amateur sport. Add to that I’m not sure anyone is in a corporate office at 18. And then if you were doing a trade that language wouldn’t be totally out of place.

I dunno, this seems to be the best outcome. He gets a solid wack and is now totally out of the spotlight for the next 8 months.
I reckon some time out was probably in order given his last few weeks, and if it's true he was getting pressure to go home l find that the hight of selfishness from whomever was giving it.

Putting aside comparisons to how many weeks you get for actual physical indiscretions, considering the path the afl have gone down this year, and the fact he said it multiple times, 6 weeks seems fairly consistent.

I understand the afl wanting to stamp it out of the game.

I would like some clarity though on what is considered an unacceptable slur on the field. Is it just Racist and Homophobic language?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back