Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go to work and call your workmate or customer that slur, you would be sacked.

6 weeks is light.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could be fired for your job in many cases for calling a workmate or customer f*ckface.

Should an afl player get 6 weeks for calling an opposition player f*ckface?

Sure

Let's never look at an individual with understanding and compassion.

Let's never take any of their circumstances into account.

Let's just sit on our holier than throne and pass judgement.

That's how to move the world forward.

People really want the world to be black and white, itā€™s too much effort for them to think about all the shades of grey.

You could be fired for your job in many cases for calling a workmate or customer f*ckface.

Should an afl player get 6 weeks for calling an opposition player f*ckface?
Did he though? Silly comparison. You go to your workplace and call people there F****t ten times and see if you get six weeks off.

It is their workplace, they crap on about that all the time when it suits them for extra money or rights etc, suddenly it's just a footy game when it doesn't.

So they throw the book at this kid while Clarko gets a slap on the wrist wtf
Finlayson got 3, someone else got 5.

The Clarko thing was pathetic especially with his record.
Anyway unAustralian to use an American homophobic slurs, what every happened to good old Aussie slurs like shirtlifter, or Sheila's blouse? Surely if you are gunna get rubbed out for 6 weeks, get done for a decent slur.

Disappointing but as others have said it could be make or break for him. The kick in the backside he needs, hopefully. All of a sudden he's had a lot of growing up to do which can be hard considering the apparent culture shock of being drafted, so I hope he's got the right attitude and support around him that he needs, otherwise it could all very quickly become a wasted opportunity.

Still feels weird to me you get a harsher penalty for a word than physically injuring someone, but the AFL made it clear this year that it wouldn't be tolerated - aside from the gentle slap on the wrist clarkson got - so no excuse for it to happen again really.

Did he though? Silly comparison. You go to your workplace and call people there F****t ten times and see if you get six weeks off.

It is their workplace, they crap on about that all the time when it suits them for extra money or rights etc, suddenly it's just a footy game when it doesn't.

You seem to have missed my point.

I'm not saying that in a place of work you wouldn't be fired for using a homophobic slur.

I'm saying you could also be fired for swearing at a colleague or customer. Calling them a name. I used f*ckface as an example. I could have used dickhead, shit-for-brains, c*cknose, fartybumdickshit etc....

So if the place of work thing is what you're measuring this by, which you've just done again saying "It is their workplace, they crap on about that all the time when it suits them for extra money or rights etc" ... then should an AFL player be suspended for swearing at an opposition player?

If fartybumdickshit is gonna get you booted from your job... then using your logic if this weekend Mason Wood gets tackled high by Elliot Yeo, and a frustrated Mason says "that was really uncalled for fartybumdickshit" would he be getting off lightly if he got suspended for 6 weeks?

Fartybumdickshit

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Okay, so that's interesting. That means in the next few weeks if a player from say the Swans or Carlton offend then that's their season done. Even if it's an A Grader not a nobody kid like Collard.

Let's wait and see if that eventuates and the media reaction if it does.
When Errol Guldon calls Nick Daicos a cxxxmunching fxxxxx wxx cxxx, watch him get a one match suspended sentence.

Finlayson got 3, someone else got 5.

The Clarko thing was pathetic especially with his record.
Anyway unAustralian to use an American homophobic slurs, what every happened to good old Aussie slurs like shirtlifter, or Sheila's blouse? Surely if you are gunna get rubbed out for 6 weeks, get done for a decent slur.

Thatā€™s what I find ridiculous.
First offence, should be standard for all. 4, 5, 6 weeks, whatever they decide. And Education.

Repeat offender, really load it.

Who's the weirdo sticky beak running around near Lance counting how many times he said this word?

Lance needs a bit of 2024 inclusion awareness and a bloody dictionary, I mean, it's weird when you think of it, the same word again and again.

He'll be fine in the long run, better for him that he gets this out of his system early doors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing but as others have said it could be make or break for him. The kick in the backside he needs, hopefully. All of a sudden he's had a lot of growing up to do which can be hard considering the apparent culture shock of being drafted, so I hope he's got the right attitude and support around him that he needs, otherwise it could all very quickly become a wasted opportunity.

Still feels weird to me you get a harsher penalty for a word than physically injuring someone, but the AFL made it clear this year that it wouldn't be tolerated - aside from the gentle slap on the wrist clarkson got - so no excuse for it to happen again really.
He doesn't want anything near his backside it would seem....maybe clip around the ear.

Who's the weirdo sticky beak running around near Lance counting how many times he said this word?

Lance needs a bit of 2024 inclusion awareness and a bloody dictionary, I mean, it's weird when you think of it, the same word again and again.

He'll be fine in the long run, better for him that he gets this out of his system early doors.
A bit of rhyming slang, should have called him a Jimmy. Short for Jimmy McTaggart.

Club is concerned that the word is so embedded in his brain that even with further education it may slip out again under duress.

So in 2025 they will be taking no chances.

rYlijke.jpeg[.img]

This one to me is fair. Sure, you could argue "it's only words" like I've read from so many on certain platforms, but what's the point in using words like that? What does it give you? Nothing. The AFL has set a precedent already this year about this kind of behaviour, and considering he targeted multiple players multiple times with this bullshit, he deserves it and it's fair.

You don't have to agree that words deserve a punishment like this, but surely you must agree with what is the point of hurting someone when you can just... not? It's the simplest thing to avoid doing.

I've been ashamed reading some of the shit our supporters are saying on Facebook & other platforms. Do better.

Someone should get him a thesaurus. I bought one the other day, but it was really terrible. And it was really terrible. I'll see myself out.

Collard punishment is fair, since it was said on repeated occasions. He now needs to learn from this and make a career for himself. It could be the turning point.

Or, as I fear, it may be the catalyst for him to do a JHF to us and go home after just one year.

The talk of him beimg on the verge of re-signing for two more years, sounded good, but as the week dragged on nothing happened.

Then f*****t gate happened. The timing of all of this is a bit spooky.

The allegation was weird in itself. Repeating the slur ten times, it seems as though he was trying to deliberately do it in order to get caught.

If a number of Williamstown players heard it then surely one of his team mates did. Why didn't someone tell him to stop or shutup? Poor leadership?

With this penalty, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for personal leave, and if granted he heads home for a "break".

It would be a shame if he did go home. If he does, we have to drive a hard bargain, unlike when the Eagles bent us over on the Jamie Cripps deal. No junk picks in the 40s. At least a first rounder with some steak knives thrown in.

I may be letting my overactive imagination get the better of me, but I have an uneasy feeling about this one.

FWIW, I think he'll be a very good player in time, a Shai Bolton type. Hang on to him if we can. He's exactly the type we need in this rebuilding phase.

Collard punishment is fair, since it was said on repeated occasions. He now needs to learn from this and make a career for himself. It could be the turning point.
agree,next important step is where is Lance now?

this is his time to show he is invested and wants to play for the saints,if i hear he has gone back to Perth in these next 6 weeks,we need a seious kick up the ass

in the gym lad,regular training & extra training in the gym during game times for a 6 week block,if he is not on board with that,then fxxx him off for best pick we can get,he would just be taking up a list spot from someone who might want to play

I donā€™t have a problem with lance getting six. What I do find interesting are the points other posters have raised about what constitutes a reasonable sledge and language.

Some of the obsurd sledges you used to hear in junior football for example are they Ok ?. Think Mark Murphy style stuff is that ok ?, what was it that had the Melbourne player rattled and in tears ?.

I was embarrassed at the time by the Murphy incident and Iā€™d be happy if the league took the same line in the sand approach it does with racism and homophobic comments. Get inventive, use some humour, maybe try beating your opponent.

The heat of battle argument versus the office. I acknowledge the difference but it falls apart when you consider many other sports where you just canā€™t get away with any of this stuff and they players manage just fine.

Odd that he suddenly started using it.
Was he thinking , "last week a called them "twerps" and it didn't work, i'll try something different "

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - LANCE COLLARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back