Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that impressed me was the footage after the game of him and Sharman speaking about their marks.

Sharman was joking about him finally pulling off a mark. For a 18 year old to just go along with it and even praise Sharman. It showed a lot of maturity and his self confidence.

This kid believes in him self. If there is one thing we know, being around these sort of people only raises others up.

I wonder how many Kobe motivational videos he has watched on YouTube.

The Robbo interview where he realised that he'd made his dad sound like a tennis dad and reversed out of it like pro was exceptional. You'd think he'd had 10 years of media training. My son is 17 and more into grunting at you than speaking, he's obviously a very receptive kid who is happy to absorb information from those around him.

If he does psychology he could become a guru, the guy has excellent positive psychology and a great learning mindset. His enthusiasm and well considered but off the cuff style reminds me of what I like about watching Ross Lyon in the media. I'm going to enjoy watching him develop off-field as much as on it I reckon.

The Robbo interview where he realised that he'd made his dad sound like a tennis dad and reversed out of it like pro was exceptional. You'd think he'd had 10 years of media training. My son is 17 and more into grunting at you than speaking, he's obviously a very receptive kid who is happy to absorb information from those around him.

If he does psychology he could become a guru, the guy has excellent positive psychology and a great learning mindset. His enthusiasm and well considered but off the cuff style reminds me of what I like about watching Ross Lyon in the media. I'm going to enjoy watching him develop off-field as much as on it I reckon.

Personality wise, I don’t think the Pou could of ended up with a better matched coach in the afl.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personality wise, I don’t think the Pou could of ended up with a better matched coach in the afl.

Thank the dear lord, infant baby jesus that RTB is the man guiding the beginning of Scud's career.

We'd probably already be discussing what off cuts the Crows will throw us if Good Bloke/Bad Coach Ratts was still in charge.

Thank the dear lord, infant baby jesus that RTB is the man guiding the beginning of Scud's career.

We'd probably already be discussing what off cuts the Crows will throw us if Good Bloke/Bad Coach Ratts was still in charge.

Possibly not even getting a game. Ratts would have through no fault of his own been playing to make finals knowing that the guillotine was being put up after every loss. Kid's futures take a back seat when a coach is playing for his job.

Ross is backing him in to keep playing through quiet games and really building belief in these kids. He's been questioned in the past when it comes to developing players but he's embracing what these guys are bringing to the side and not taking the easy road. Helps when the return on investment doesn't look too far away though. This lot of kids looks a lot more blue chip than some of the past choices though.

We'd legit be bundling Pou and Nas to the Crows for Worrell and a Future 2nd...

He's an exceptional interviewee for his age. A lot of late career guys don't handle it as well. He's very open but quick thinking at the same time. He's got the self confidence of Fyfe but has a real self awareness about how he comes across. He looks like the complete package.
I know this is a very small thing. However, even the fact that he referred to them by their names in the interview says a lot about his comfort ability and confidence in the interview. A lot of guys get nervous and won’t be that level of confident and personable.

I know this is a very small thing. However, even the fact that he referred to them by their names in the interview says a lot about his comfort ability and confidence in the interview. A lot of guys get nervous and won’t be that level of confident and personable.

He's got a very warm and enthusiastic manner when he interviews and doesn't have a guard up. He'll happily admit to the feeling of being a kid walking into his dream job meeting his heroes so you feel like you are part of his journey. A lot of kids that do the media training through the pathways end up closed off and guarding against the bad publicity that can come with it. He seems so joyous even the cynical media types don't want to cut him down.

He's a really happy go lucky energetic media performer. He could do well post footy doing it as a career if he can keep what makes him unique.

I’m really interested to see how he goes now the Rising Star nom has been achieved.

It was always going to come. We all knew that and the Pou deep down would’ve known that.

But the kid is proud and driven. He talked himself up pre draft and obviously believes he has the commitment and ability to become one of the elite. But he probably would’ve put a bit of inward pressure on himself to get a nom as he watched other lesser beings (not Mitch obviously) get picked and honoured with each passing week.

Now that weight is off this back he can just concentrate fully on playing to his fullest and simply getting better and better each week.

Exciting times ahead for all Saints fans 😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly he landed on his feet with Ross. I feel like the Boss gets him, he's confident, proud and driven. He likes the attention and the danger for a small club is trying to keep a big personality feeling engaged in what he wants his path to be. We are letting him do the media and not pulling him down to earth. An old school coach could have really got this wrong and tried to take the cockiness out of him.

Lyon's biggest skill is his exceptional man management. He seems to intuitively know how to best direct different personalities into the right path. Playing him in the VFL might be taken the wrong way and with his dad micromanaging him and having a clear vision for greatness, it needs its own attention. So far Lyon has done it perfectly. We have a unique personality and talent that directed in the right way could be an absolute superstar. I trust Ross to get every drop out of him and make him into the best he can be.

There is a real similarity to Fyfe I reckon. He had a similar type of personality and I think Lyon was his career architect. That said Phillipou has much more humility. I think he's more of a people person too.

I’ve been nervous since we drafted him but the JHF scenario is pretty rare. He made it well known he was miserable all year and we’re not seeing anything like that from Phillipou.

He always said he was rapt to come to Melbourne, wanted to leave the small pond I believe, and that he is a very loyal person.
I’m not worrying about him at all. He’s had every opportunity this season.

He always said he was rapt to come to Melbourne, wanted to leave the small pond I believe, and that he is a very loyal person.
I’m not worrying about him at all. He’s had every opportunity this season.
Yep wanted to play in Melbourne and hates Essendon because they passed on him. Think he's fully invested in the club and has mentioned he values loyalty quite a few times. If he had a choice think he wants to be a one club player.

I think playing AFL level all season is the best thing for him, he has been humbled and now has a huge reel of footage to address over the preseason. He will no doubt put in the work required to address and improve any aspects of his game that need improving.

I just hope we haven't pigeon holed him as a half forward. Needs to be a contested ball midfielder who can also spread and recieve.

I think playing AFL level all season is the best thing for him, he has been humbled and now has a huge reel of footage to address over the preseason. He will no doubt put in the work required to address and improve any aspects of his game that need improving.

I just hope we haven't pigeon holed him as a half forward. Needs to be a contested ball midfielder who can also spread and recieve.
He gets some midifield time here and there. The club isn't stupid, they know the talent he has.

Oh he’s hands in tight are wayyy too good not to spend a lot of time in the middle. I think he’s being seriously underrated.

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back