Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres a little of RP McMurphy* in all of us, watching Sam Darcy...

Being a modest type. I also like to wear shorts over my jeans when playing sport.

* Or Martini.

Last edited:
Other clubs will start putting strategies in place to counter him though. A bit like when Naughton looked as if he'd take every defence apart after his 6 goal break out game against Richmond, but then clubs figured out how to limit his ability to take the speccy mark.

It's been good for Naughton's development. He's now more of a rounded player. He is able to have an impact up the ground and he was even taking marks on the lead last night.

Opposition sides will find ways to limit Darcy's marking but he's so talented it won't take him long to adapt. And like Naughton it will end up making him a better player.
There were some things opposition did in regards to taking space but the main way of stopping Naughton was jumper grabbing with a hold, which is obviously against the rules.

Unless it’s a Charlie Curnow, the umpires don’t seem to pick up on those ones.

Naughton needs to looked after more, although it’ll be much harder to stop Darcy with those tactics.

That free kick that was paid against him late in the 4th was comical, Mykelti Lefau just ran at him and because Sam towers over him Lefau smacked his head against his arms. Free kick for high contact!

He reminds me a bit of Paul Salmon. Salmon was kicking bigger bags at Sam’s age (60 goals at the age of 19), however it was a different game back then.

I made this comparison the other week. If you go back and look at the vision of Salmon back then, the size difference between him and the defenders is more extreme, but comparable to Darcy.

There were times on Saturday night when the Tigger's defenders (Broad and Vlastuin) facial expressions and body language was saying

How are we supposed to stop that - far out

They wont be the last

I personally can’t wait for the moment all 4 of them fly for the same ball

Real Madrid Mind Blown GIF by Dan Leydon
Uhhhmm, surely this has happened perhaps 20 times to date. Perhaps it’s a Spangher tactic - “he fellas if all 4 of you go for the mark then one of you are bound to clunk it!!!!” Foolproof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back