Player Watch #45 Tylar Young

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s actually a worry below the knees. We can’t have him in the side just as a spoiler if he can’t keep up with his opponent. Yze should’ve put Miller on King as he got off the chain.
I was a fan of Youbg last year, but his game hasn’t improved and I don’t see any upside in him anymore.
His a stopper that's it like Dave Astbury you need one of them in your side we don't need him to be a star.

His a stopper that's it like Dave Astbury you need one of them in your side we don't need him to be a star.
Yes, but he’s actually not very good at it anymore bc opposition coaches know he’s slow off the mark. Forwards are running him into the ground now.

Young is the least of our worries. He is a backman, he isn't an intercept defener, he is a lock down defender. People are way too harsh sometimes.

Eh with Balta going forward, a key defender is by far our most pressing need and if this guy is the option moving forward then we are royally ****ed.

Eh with Balta going forward, a key defender is by far our most pressing need and if this guy is the option moving forward then we are royally ****ed.
He isn't Baltas replacement and never has been. 2 very different kind of defenders. Our back 6 was actually pretty good today. Saints only kicked 9 goals, our forward line is a bigger concern.

He isn't Baltas replacement and never has been. 2 very different kind of defenders. Our back 6 was actually pretty good today. Saints only kicked 9 goals, our forward line is a bigger concern.

He absolutely is Baltas replacement, just that Balta was just as capable of an intercepter as he was a lockdown defender cause when you're very good at job that is the result. Not simply a lockdown player which is all Young is and not very good one at that.

No shit our forward line was a bigger concern today. It was missing 100 goals in the form Lynch and Balta.

He absolutely is Baltas replacement, just that Balta was just as capable of an intercepter as he was a lockdown defender cause when you're very good at job that is the result. Not simply a lockdown player which is all Young is and not very good one at that.

No s**t our forward line was a bigger concern today. It was missing 100 goals in the form Lynch and Balta.
Actually Miller or Gibcus were/are Baltas replacement. Young was already there.

Kept King to 1 goal & is being criticized jesus...

Such basic and lazy analysis of his game. Look at the big picture and you see how much of liability he is.

Actually Miller or Gibcus were/are Baltas replacement. Young was already there.

Same as the above. Last year it was Balta playing on Mckay and King x2. Who is matching up on them this year?

Kept King to 1 goal & is being criticized jesus...
That's because we have some supporters still clinging on to the fact that Balta should play down back.
Young might be down on his form this year compared to last year but he is still considered above average for spoils and 1 on 1's in his 23 game career.
I remember when Astbury used to cop it week after week when the club decided we should try him down back.

That's because we have some supporters still clinging on to the fact that Balta should play down back.
Young might be down on his form this year compared to last year but he is still considered above average for spoils and 1 on 1's in his 23 game career.
I remember when Astbury used to cop it week after week when the club decided we should try him down back.
Balta has more talent than Young but I would argue he makes more mistakes as well.
Balta has proven better imo as fwd/ruck makes far less errors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta has more talent than Young but I would argue he makes more mistakes as well.
Balta has proven better imo as fwd/ruck makes far less errors.
Careful, others will bring out the Rance comparisons even though Rance couldn't kick for shit as a forward and couldn't ruck.

He just didn't spoil the ball today, like didn't even attempt to. Miller was guilty of it too. They had the size and reach advantage on Watergate and refused to use it. Honestly never seen anything like it and from two players known for killing the ball before the oppo gets their mitts near it. Was like the fix was in.

He just didn't spoil the ball today, like didn't even attempt to. Miller was guilty of it too. They had the size and reach advantage on Watergate and refused to use it. Honestly never seen anything like it and from two players known for killing the ball before the oppo gets their mitts near it. Was like the fix was in.

We know Young is capable of being very good defensively from last year. It was astonishing to see Young beaten pointless in so many aerial 1 v 1's today. He either isn't right physically, or has gotten off track a bit tactically or he is just way down on confidence. It could also be he is focussing on adding other elements to his game, and his 1 v 1 defensive work is being neglected a bit. His 1 v 1 loss % has gone from a top class 13.8% in 2023 to an eye-wateringly shocking 45.5% in 2024. This will not be a problem at all so long as it is fixed by the time we are competitive, but it is a bit of a worry for now.

I guess it could also be that opposition teams and players have studied his methods carefully and worked out what his kryptonite is with their positioning and delivery. If it is this then he will just need to work towards adding some new tricks to his defensive repertoire. That was tough viewing today though.

He’s our worst defender

Ben Miller has flown past him

May aswell try Kosi back to see if he has any value staying at the club otherwise him and Young can go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair Miller was never actually behind him from an ability standpoint.

Miller became a victim of being on an AFL list and was essentially forced to play as a key forward/ruck as that is what the team required in 2022 and spent two years wasting away there. At the beginning of 2022 in the VFL Miller who is 12 months younger than Young was so much better as a defender it wasn't funny. Had he not been shifted for the sake of the team then he really should have been the one to come into the team at the start of last year to replace Astbury.

Im still uncertain about Miller as a long term option but he is streets ahead of Young.

Beaten too easily though when there was 50/50 ball in play.
lacked any sort of intensity.

It is pretty clear Young is miles below where he was last year, there is no hiding from that. It is just whether this is to do with method, desire or his ability to compete in contests has been impacted by physical issues.

2023 v 2024 Tylar Young

Contested Marks 0.7 per match average v 0.0 per match average

Contested possessions 4.0 per match average v 1.2 per match average(almost unbelievably bad)

Defensive 1 v 1 contest loss 13.8% average v 45.5% average.

I mean if there was any viable alternative whatsoever, you couldn't possibly select him next week. I guess Grimes comes back in to give Young a bit of time to work things out.

Young is very good just had a bad game but that's what happens as he is not right but forced to play because of our current plight. All the pros that still think Balta is a forward well don't know what to say. Young was a better player with him in defense. Old saying you don't rob Peter to pay Paul.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back