Player Watch #45 Tylar Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Young is very good just had a bad game but that's what happens as he is not right but forced to play because of our current plight. All the pros that still think Balta is a forward well don't know what to say. Young was a better player with him in defense. Old saying you don't rob Peter to pay Paul.

When our other forward options are that bleak you kind of have to though. We cant rely on Lynch anymore, who are we beating with with any combination of Ryan, Kosi, Lefau? We may not win a game at all with those. None will give us a getout option down the line, so we can only score by running the footy, so we will hit the wall 20 mins into the first quarter every week.

Young was awful today, but maybe not all tall defenders are suited to playing on a medium forward. Surely Broad should have been sent there straight away.

When our other forward options are that bleak you kind of have to though. We cant rely on Lynch anymore, who are we beating with with any combination of Ryan, Kosi, Lefau? We may not win a game at all with those. None will give us a getout option down the line, so we can only score by running the footy, so we will hit the wall 20 mins into the first quarter every week.

Young was awful today, but maybe not all tall defenders are suited to playing on a medium forward. Surely Broad should have been sent there straight away.
Mate the way the ball was coming in even Rance there wouldn't have helped. I thought our cupboard was bare but it's much worse. Might as well let the coach play them as he sees fit and make judgements end of the year and boy he will have headaches lol

We know Young is capable of being very good defensively from last year. It was astonishing to see Young beaten pointless in so many aerial 1 v 1's today. He either isn't right physically, or has gotten off track a bit tactically or he is just way down on confidence. It could also be he is focussing on adding other elements to his game, and his 1 v 1 defensive work is being neglected a bit. His 1 v 1 loss % has gone from a top class 13.8% in 2023 to an eye-wateringly shocking 45.5% in 2024. This will not be a problem at all so long as it is fixed by the time we are competitive, but it is a bit of a worry for now.

I guess it could also be that opposition teams and players have studied his methods carefully and worked out what his kryptonite is with their positioning and delivery. If it is this then he will just need to work towards adding some new tricks to his defensive repertoire. That was tough viewing today though.
Clubs do their homework on players and then work out their deficiencies and exploit them. Slow off the mark is his issue and poor at ground level so it’s pretty easy to take him apart. Mobile tall is obvious to play on him even if the forward is a dud. Just run him to the ground.

I virtually said that earlier both Young and Kozi don't like going for a hard ball get instead they're both bruise free footballers who love protecting themselves in a contest as their first priority.

In Young's case he was very physical in 2023, he was extremely competitive and manhandled his opponents. So he has that in him without any shadow of a doubt. Something is clearly wrong this year, he is a different player. He very obviously needs time out of the team to try to recapture the form he had in 2023.

In Young's case he was very physical in 2023, he was extremely competitive and manhandled his opponents. So he has that in him without any shadow of a doubt. Something is clearly wrong this year, he is a different player. He very obviously needs time out of the team to try to recapture the form he had in 2023.
He didn't play like that yesterday; ffs waterman is a potato and touched him up.

I virtually said that earlier both Young and Kozi don't like going for a hard ball get instead they're both bruise free footballers who love protecting themselves in a contest as their first priority.
I'd put Miller in the same category.

To be fair Miller was never actually behind him from an ability standpoint.

Miller became a victim of being on an AFL list and was essentially forced to play as a key forward/ruck as that is what the team required in 2022 and spent two years wasting away there. At the beginning of 2022 in the VFL Miller who is 12 months younger than Young was so much better as a defender it wasn't funny. Had he not been shifted for the sake of the team then he really should have been the one to come into the team at the start of last year to replace Astbury.

Im still uncertain about Miller as a long term option but he is streets ahead of Young.
In 22 Miller effectively debuted, mostly as KPD. Alongside Balta, Tarrant and Gibus. To go into season 22 with Balta, Gibcus and Miller was a bit inexperienced. So fair enough on Tarrant

Miller played back up ruck too.

Tarrant retired Gibus misses 23 Young was a good pick up and played well next to Balta. Injury to Lynch meant Miller KPF was an essential player. His ruck skills are OK too.

We need both Miller and Young. Gibcus is a year away. Young has not been as good with Balta out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

confidence is a big thing, players are not robots, Young is a great option and will get better over time. Give him a good season or two.
Hoping you’re right but I’ve gone from thinking he’ll be a lock at FB to having severe doubts whether he will make it. Was absolutely dreadful yesterday against a bog average forward. Not just yesterday but other games too, he’s been caught well out of position. Hope he gets coached to better position himself and use his height and strength to more advantage.

Hoping you’re right but I’ve gone from thinking he’ll be a lock at FB to having severe doubts whether he will make it. Was absolutely dreadful yesterday against a bog average forward. Not just yesterday but other games too, he’s been caught well out of position. Hope he gets coached to better position himself and use his height and strength to more advantage.

I would keep faith in a player who has shown what Young has shown in 2023. It is difficult to know why he would go so far backwards but it is surely likely to be fixable.

They’re playing more mobile players on him as he’s a statue. Also has allowed them to play in front more bc of this. Neede Nankervis to come in and block. It happened in the last quarter and we looked better. I’m having my doubts about him too this year as he looks one dimensional, frozen and not switched on.

even last year he was outrageously overrated and some of the positive stats that some of the posters came up with were pumped up and spun to ridiculous levels. last year he was barely adequate and he needed to improve vastly on that, he hasn't and any decent strong marking experienced Forward is going to dine out on him.

Last edited:
They’re playing more mobile players on him as he’s a statue. Also has allowed them to play in front more bc of this. Neede Nankervis to come in and block. It happened in the last quarter and we looked better. I’m having my doubts about him too this year as he looks one dimensional, frozen and not switched on.

That's not what you were saying about him at 4:35 in your nuffy video below TI. :)

That's not what you were saying about him at 4:35 in your nuffy video below TI. :)

Don’t watch bullshit like that as I’m not interested. You continue to make excuses and accept everything is fine. Nothing will change unless like 2016 Benny says enough is enough otherwise the termites will continue to run amok. You always continue to back the club and even guys like a Meehan, but fail to admit where incompetence and fault lies although it’s obvious.
Then you make attacking , stupid and immature posts like this one telling us more the serious issues you have with coping with reality and truth. Now get a grip of yourself as you’re not a school kid.

Don’t watch bullshit like that as I’m not interested. You continue to make excuses and accept everything is fine. Nothing will change unless like 2016 Benny says enough is enough otherwise the termites will continue to run amok. You always continue to back the club and even guys like a Meehan, but fail to admit where incompetence and fault lies although it’s obvious.
Then you make attacking , stupid and immature posts like this one telling us more the serious issues you have with coping with reality and truth. Now get a grip of yourself as you’re not a school kid.

I knew you would take it well TI. ;)

But seriously, what are you recommending Richmond does with Tylar Young? From what you have said in your post it sounds like you would drop him and delist him at the end on this season. Is that correct?

How do you explain his elite defensive numbers in 2023 if he is a statue?

I knew you would take it well TI. ;)

But seriously, what are you recommending Richmond does with Tylar Young? From what you have said in your post it sounds like you would drop him and delist him at the end on this season. Is that correct?

How do you explain his elite defensive numbers in 2023 if he is a statue?
Where have I said I would drop him or delist him? Again another poster who pops their thoughts and words into what they think others have said. It must be a virus on here or just lots of posters with poor literacy skills or just a form of narcissistic behaviour to get their narrative across. He basically has to play all season as he’s better than Grimes , but will need to learn the art of defence as it’s just not a stand by an opponents side anymore. He’s been found out as what mainly happens to a second year player. His numbers weren’t that amazing last year and as said by posters his stats were over exaggerated and misrepresented like they can be. His ground work was always an issue with transition work. He’s slow off the mark and he’s getting better opponents this year and been found out. Our midfield has been rubbish with the tractor factory and the balls coming in faster so again he’s getting less time to react. He’s limited and will most likely be replaced when or if Gibcus gets back if he doesn’t improve.

Where have I said I would drop him or delist him? Again another poster who pops their thoughts and words into what they think others have said. It must be a virus on here or just lots of posters with poor literacy skills or just a form of narcissistic behaviour to get their narrative across. He basically has to play all season as he’s better than Grimes , but will need to learn the art of defence as it’s just not a stand by an opponents side anymore. He’s been found out as what mainly happens to a second year player. His numbers weren’t that amazing last year and as said by posters his stats were over exaggerated and misrepresented like they can be. His ground work was always an issue with transition work. He’s slow off the mark and he’s getting better opponents this year and been found out. Our midfield has been rubbish with the tractor factory and the balls coming in faster so again he’s getting less time to react. He’s limited and will most likely be replaced when or if Gibcus gets back if he doesn’t improve.

Sorry he is a statue according to you but we should keep playing him and keep him on the list. Am I the only one who finds that confusing here? If he is a statue, why are we keeping him in the team and on the list?

Sorry he is a statue according to you but we should keep playing him and keep him on the list. Am I the only one who finds that confusing here? If he is a statue, why are we keeping him in the team and on the list?
Again that's where he needs to improve as it's his weakness .That's all he basically did well last year stood side by side on his opponent and spoiled and has now been exploited if you had read my posts rather than putting in your ill conceived opinion. Now stop being a narcissist with your thoughts and accusing them to make be mine. Learn to red understand rather than shooting from the hips at one word.

Again that's where he needs to improve as it's his weakness .That's all he basically did well last year stood side by side on his opponent and spoiled and has now been exploited if you had read my posts rather than putting in your ill conceived opinion. Now stop being a narcissist with your thoughts and accusing them to make be mine. Learn to red understand rather than shooting from the hips at one word.

Suitably chastened.

But how can a player fix being a statue?

Do you accept that sometimes players may not be near their best for reasons other than their own method and intent?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back