Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to get too carried away, but it certainly is pleasing to see him put together a complete game.

Funnily enough my favourite highlight of his game weren't the goals, but a play on the wing where he ran well to be an option.
Kicked in board, but stuffed the kick up as it was a bit short, he then sprinted to make up for his mistake and did very well to win the ball back and deliver the ball fwd.

I really like when a player doesn't drop their head, but instead immediately looks to make up for a mistake.

I still don't think he has a future tbh. He's played a couple of decent games and was great in the first half of the weekend but i just see a couple of key flaws that don't match up well with the rest of the side. If he was playing in a team of hard nuts who needed some polish then sure, but in a team which is physically quite soft I struggle to see him making it for us.

Wish him all the best however and hope he proves me wrong.
He was second for pressure acts on the weekend and will probably won't impose him self physically like most players his size. 2 of our man 3 smalls are physically not as imposing and both seem to have a clouds future (could say the same for Cripps). Imo theres a spot for him as his best position is as a high half forward and over the years we haven't had anyone hold that spot.

Don't want to get too carried away, but it certainly is pleasing to see him put together a complete game.

Funnily enough my favourite highlight of his game weren't the goals, but a play on the wing where he ran well to be an option.
Kicked in board, but stuffed the kick up as it was a bit short, he then sprinted to make up for his mistake and did very well to win the ball back and deliver the ball fwd.

I really like when a player doesn't drop their head, but instead immediately looks to make up for a mistake.
A couple of those field kicks were sublime... there was one to Cripps and one to Darling that were spot on. Not sure that many players in our team could have hit them as well as Karps did on those occasions, good signs.

Remember when the entirety of this board thought he was a waste of space?

A little over 12 months ago he was badly out of form and was playing reserves at East Perth in his third year on the list. There were genuine reasons why we thought he wasn't much value

Something clicked with him midway during the season and he started to blossom to the point where he made his debut as a late inclusion

All credit to him for knuckling down and turning things around as well as the club for keeping the faith with him

At times the club seems to persist too long with players hoping they'll come good. This time it looks to have worked out - can see him being a very useful half forward for us

A little over 12 months ago he was badly out of form and was playing reserves at East Perth in his third year on the list. There were genuine reasons why we thought he wasn't much value

Something clicked with him midway during the season and he started to blossom to the point where he made his debut as a late inclusion

All credit to him for knuckling down and turning things around as well as the club for keeping the faith with him

At times the club seems to persist too long with players hoping they'll come good. This time it looks to have worked out - can see him being a very useful half forward for us

Yeah but wasnt it when they stopped trying to turn him into a small forward and started playing in the midfield that the turn around happened?

Yeah but wasnt it when they stopped trying to turn him into a small forward and started playing in the midfield that the turn around happened?
His tank and work rate being below what was needed to play midfield didn't help until he improved those areas

At times the club seems to persist too long with players hoping they'll come good.
Yeah but when the player has weapons like Karps's evasion and agility you have to persist, especially when they're probably not as mentally strong/settled as other draftees.

It's more frustrating persisting with blokes with no apparent special traits and hoping they'll somehow develop some over time

Yeah but when the player has weapons like Karps's evasion and agility you have to persist, especially when they're probably not as mentally strong/settled as other draftees.

It's more frustrating persisting with blokes with no apparent special traits and hoping they'll somehow develop some over time
Can't understand how long McGinnity lasted. He would have been delisted W few years into his career at most clubs.

We're the good guy club. :)
199d4cd5be63c42ee953af460f982eba

I hope Karpany earns a contract extension soon. Our remaining unsigned players list is surprisingly short and we need to turn over 3 players minimum every year.

From the contracts thread:

Contracted until the end of 2017 (9):
Eric Mackenzie - Signed 4-year contract (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) in June 2013.
Mark LeCras - Signed a 4-year contract (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) in June 2013.
Sharrod Wellingham - Signed a 2-year contract (2016, 2017) in August 2015.
Malcom Karpany - Signed a 2-year contract (2016, 2017) in October 2015
Josh Hill - Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in September 2016.
Sam Mitchell - Signed a 1-year deal (2017) when traded in October 2016
Sam Butler ā€“ Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in October 2016.
Tom Lamb - Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in October 2016

Unknown Contracts (2):
Jack Redden - Was contracted for 2016 at Brisbane. Unknown if contract renegotiated at West Coast
Nathan Vardy - Signed a deal when traded in October 2016.

I'd like Mitchell to play another year, and Butler's just about the only retirement certainty (and even that's not 100% certain).

Maybe turf Giles a year early? Will Matt fail to come back and pull the pin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Background research fail from Stocksy on the WCE site:

"In his third year at the club, he has found opportunities difficult to come by, and while he has not yet locked down a spot, his performance against the Dogs was encouraging. He kicked three goals, worked hard for his 11 possessions and was an important element of the victory."

I hope Karpany earns a contract extension soon. Our remaining unsigned players list is surprisingly short and we need to turn over 3 players minimum every year.

From the contracts thread:

Contracted until the end of 2017 (9):
Eric Mackenzie - Signed 4-year contract (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) in June 2013.
Mark LeCras - Signed a 4-year contract (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) in June 2013.
Sharrod Wellingham - Signed a 2-year contract (2016, 2017) in August 2015.
Malcom Karpany - Signed a 2-year contract (2016, 2017) in October 2015
Josh Hill - Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in September 2016.
Sam Mitchell - Signed a 1-year deal (2017) when traded in October 2016
Sam Butler ā€“ Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in October 2016.
Tom Lamb - Signed a 1-year contract (2017) in October 2016

Unknown Contracts (2):
Jack Redden - Was contracted for 2016 at Brisbane. Unknown if contract renegotiated at West Coast
Nathan Vardy - Signed a deal when traded in October 2016.

I'd like Mitchell to play another year, and Butler's just about the only retirement certainty (and even that's not 100% certain).

Maybe turf Giles a year early? Will Matt fail to come back and pull the pin?
Turfing Giles and keeping McInnes makes more sense.

Turfing Giles and keeping McInnes makes more sense.

We are then paying out Giles and paying another year for a depth player in McInness.

Doesn't make financial sense to essentially pay twice for the same thing.

Surely Giles is on **** all. It makes football sense however.

Football sense maybe, but there is still this thing called a salary cap, spread over 40+ players to consider.

It also goes up 20% next season. I'm sure we can waste 20% of **** all, on him not at our club.
Salary cap actually goes up this season by 20% so even if we had used up all the anticipated 10% the AFL told clubs to allow for we still have an extra million or so to use up this year

Paying out Giles contract for 2018 and delisting him so it's in this years cap makes sense to me

If he hasn't been able to get a game this year he won't be getting one next year. I'd rather retain Petrie and McInnes

Salary cap actually goes up this season by 20% so even if we had used up all the anticipated 10% the AFL told clubs to allow for we still have an extra million or so to use up this year

Paying out Giles contract for 2018 and delisting him so it's in this years cap makes sense to me

If he hasn't been able to get a game this year he won't be getting one next year. I'd rather retain Petrie and McInnes
Love the dish. Makes so much more sense. Rookie a young project ruck and project full forward.

His tank and work rate being below what was needed to play midfield didn't help until he improved those areas

https://thewest.com.au/sport/the-ho...t-coast-forward-malcolm-karpany-ng-b88529158z

Turns out a private chat between Simpson and Karpany midway through last season was the catalyst for Karps turning his career around

Guess what he was told

Karpany, 22, met privately with Simpson in the midst of a six-game stint during the 2016 season when he was dropped to the WAFL reserves. The South Australian product was told bluntly he had to lift his training standards and fitness levels if he wanted an AFL future.

From the tone of the article and the quotes from Vozzo in it, I don't think it'll be long before we hear about a contract extension for Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

Back