News Welcome Tyson Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, two year deal. He will be line for a big payday in 12 months - I guess he's probably on the 300k mark and will be rightfully asking for 500-600k?

I can imagine a number of retirements at the end of 2023 so we will have the cap space to accommodate.
Stengle’s paycheck v output reminds me of the bargain that was Tim Kelly for two years on minimum chips. Well played Mr Wells👏👏

That makes him a free agent for life doesn't it. I presume he was on a two year deal. Will need to find him a $1 pub next year.

Yes it does but hopefully he stays with us.

Yes it does but hopefully he stays with us.
I wouldn’t imagine he would leave a club that’s given him another chance where’s he’s been AA and playing finals in his first year

Thankfully he doesn’t have a nagging wife that wants to be the centre of attention in Perth

Of course, all credit to Tyson for the accolade. I would like to recognise the role that coming into a quality and supportive environment can play too. Betts but also the club more broadly have done a fine job.
Listening to the club podcast this week gave another insight into this story as well. As Ling and Domsy were pumping up the story of what Tyson has brought on the field this year, the coach made the point of how the club is just as proud of the changes Tyson has made in his life off the field as well.

This is what I really love about what the GFC can bring into the lives of the footballers who pull on the hoops. While it's great to focus on what can be developed in their careers as players, the club is clearly also committed to contributing to their progress as quality people. That's a culture that I can't help but admire and seek to celebrate. And it stands our club in very good stead on and off the field in the days to come.

Stay classy, Cats. Everyone involved reaps the benefits when your bedrock culture is people development in preference to program delivery.

Incredible season from a player that I said that I didn't even want when we landed him. Be glad I'm not recruiting for us because that sure bit me on the ass as Tyson is the recruit and story of the year.

He sure shut me up, no complaints.

Well...it would be remiss to not even raise the question....Stengle>Cyril?

Enjoy it, Hawfs.
Stengle averaged 2.1 goals a game this season.

there is only 1 season of his entire career where rioli averaged over 1.75. And it was only marginally better then stengles at 2.2 per game. Safe to say stengle is on the way to becoming a much better player.

Last edited:
Stengle averaged 2.1 goals a game this season.

there is only 1 season of his entire career where rioli averaged over 1.75. And it was only marginally better then stengles at 2.2 per game. Safe to say stengle us on the way to becoming a much better player.

Different players and different roles.

Very happy with Stengle though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because they play in the same position, doesn't mean they play the same role.
I'd also think that playing as a small forward at the feet of Buddy Franklin is a different prospect to that of playing at the feet of Tommy Hawkins

How would you distinguish their roles, out of interest?

Rioli as a more defensive minded small forward who was an elite tackler, who would run through the mid at times who had the ability as a goal sneak.

Whereas Stengle is a pure small forward goal scorer who can provide good defensive moments and tackles.

Rioli as a more defensive minded small forward who was an elite tackler, who would run through the mid at times who had the ability as a goal sneak.

Whereas Stengle is a pure small forward goal scorer who can provide good defensive moments and tackles.
Hmm… I don’t see the role distinction there. Maybe the tackling part but that’s not as much about role as it is about them having different strengths.

Hmm… I don’t see the role distinction there. Maybe the tackling part but that’s not as much about role as it is about them having different strengths.

Do Close and Stengle have the same roles? No.

Of course there are role distinctions between players who have different strengths.

Do Close and Stengle have the same roles? No.

Of course there are role distinctions between players who have different strengths.
Players can have different strengths and play the same (or similar) role. That’s how I would describe Rioli and Stengle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back