Well done Geelong for finally taking a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can all agree players hold too much power these days with the ridiculous rules we have in place that gives all the power to players. Contracts mean nothing these days... Perhaps until now...

Kudos to Geelong for finally taking a stand and not allowing players and player managers dictate their fate.

Hopefully this swings the favour somewhat back with the club and other teams follow suit.

Last edited:

Can’t have wanted to go home too badly. Fremantle would’ve offered 14 & 31 and Geelong would’ve taken that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No they wouldn't have. They wanted 20 22 and wc first next year which in all likelihood would have been around 15

No they wouldn't have. They wanted 20 22 and wc first next year which in all likelihood would have been around 15

That’s because he wanted to go to WCE. If Kelly was happy to go to Freo, the Cats would’ve got what they wanted.

That’s because he wanted to go to WCE. If Kelly was happy to go to Freo, the Cats would’ve got what they wanted.

Why? To spite Kelly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If WC offered 20 and wc first rd next year it still wouldn't have been acceptable

Why? To spite Kelly?

He wanted to get home soooo badly.

But not badly enough to play at Freo.

Seriously, good on Geelong for taking a stand against rubbish like this.

If WC offered 20 and wc first rd next year it still wouldn't have been acceptable

West Coast clearly offered Kelly a dream offer. And this is what lured him to rule out Freo. It still would've been a dream job with good pay and a solid future for his family. But obviously West Coast made him a deal he couldn't refuse, which came before his wife and children getting home.

Last edited:
West Coast clearly offered Kelly a dream offer. And this is what lured him to rule out Freo. It still would've still be a dream job with good pay a solid future for his family. But obviously West coast made him an offer he couldn't refuse and that came before his wife and children getting home.

There must be some truth behind the messaging of his manager re Freo - i wouldn't send one of my players there.

B. Hill didn't seem happy there this year.
Nealle want to go to a new state.

I think we can all agree players hold too much power these days with the ridiculous free agency rules we have in place.

Kudos to Geelong for finally taking a stand and not allowing players and player managers dictate their fate.

Hopefully this swings the favour somewhat back with the club and other teams follow suit.
players don't hold too much power with free agency rules. free agency is being used as it is intended to be. players that are less than 8 years into their afl career at one club that are dictating where they want to play are the ones that are subjectively bending the rules.

but oh yes, well done to the cats. i'm sure when the time comes for a contracted player who wants to play at home in geelong but is declined by their club they will also get their due praise. oh wait...

As soon as news of Gaffy re-signing dropped I was praying to God that the Kelly deal doesn't go through. The only reason we were negotiating with Geelong is because Kelly nominated to come to us and he doesn't really fill a need in our midfield.

It's gonna be rough enough as it is in our midfield to see who in our Grand Final winning team makes way for Gaff, let alone trying to find another spot for Kelly. I'd rather us have tried to go for Lobb instead, we NEEDED a ruck more than we needed a mid, let alone a mid we didn't really need and have to give up three apparent first rounders for.

Congratulate yourselves all you want but you were foolish not to take a pretty good offer of 2 early 20s picks when it's unlikely there will be a better offer on the table next year. Added to that the draft this year is supposedly the best for some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Geelong for finally taking a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back