AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
Where's the respect? Simpson
6:24:44 PM Thu 21 April, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au
Kangaroos captain Adam Simpson believes his side is not receiving the kudos it deserves after winning the opening four rounds of the 2005 home-and-away season.

The dual premiership player pointed to a lack of respect stemming from the media as a major reason why the club was not gaining the plaudits.

"We still don't think that we've got the respect of a lot of people and especially in the media - you guys are still waiting for us to fall over. We haven't proved a lot yet and hopefully we get over the line this week and we're five-zip and we give the finals a good shake," Simpson said at the MCG on Thursday.

But Simpson said he understood the reasoning of Roos' hype, as they have started strongly in recent seasons, before dropping having a dip in form, as evidenced last year when they won their first three rounds, before dropping their next four in a row.

"I understand it - we've done it for the last three years, so I wouldn't expect it, but the only thing that disappoints you is you get Essendon and Collingwood in the paper all of the time and you've got to win every game to try and get a bit of coverage down at Arden Street," Simpson said.

"That's the frustrating thing, the attention that we don't get and then again we don't get it when we're playing badly either, so it's pretty much the same, the whole way through, so it's something we'd like to get more of, but if we win in footy, we will."

Simpson said the Kangaroos were playing a different style of football this year and had also come up against tougher teams in the opening rounds, which is why he believes they can make it five in succession over Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday. But he is adamant the club is not taking Hawthorn lightly.

"We probably thought that Brisbane didn't respect Hawthorn last week and we've had a good chance to look at them over the last four weeks and I know Dean (Laidley) has been to every game, so we're going to show them a lot more respect than what Brisbane did," Simpson said.

"I think it was pretty obvious they (Brisbane) probably just thought they'd come down and notch up a win and you can't do that these days with any team, so we know what we've got to do and it'll start by trying to lock down their important players."

Meanwhile, 1975 Kangaroos premiership player Sam Kekovich said the club's form was compelling, although he could understand why the Roos had their skeptics.

"Quite conceivably, we could have been one and three, because of a couple of lucky escapes. But we've been terrific - the cynics can think what they like, we're quite happy with our 'possie' at the moment," Kekovich said.

scooby1279 said:
But Simpson said he understood the reasoning of Roos' hype, as they have started strongly in recent seasons, before dropping having a dip in form, as evidenced last year when they won their first three rounds, before dropping their next four in a row.

"I understand it - we've done it for the last three years, so I wouldn't expect it, but the only thing that disappoints you is you get Essendon and Collingwood in the paper all of the time and you've got to win every game to try and get a bit of coverage down at Arden Street," Simpson said.

"That's the frustrating thing, the attention that we don't get and then again we don't get it when we're playing badly either, so it's pretty much the same, the whole way through, so it's something we'd like to get more of, but if we win in footy, we will."

Simmo has got the timing wrong I believe. With the overated Bombers and the banged up Pies playing in a 'important game' this week, you'd find it virtually impossible to pinch any attention in the media. Sure Simmo makes a great point but North ain't viewed as a serious contender (we lost 7 of our last 8) so until we get three or 4 games ahead on third spot that maybe, just maybe we may get some respect going. Besides, to keep it low key is the way to go for North. I am still skepical that players (any team) get so BIG HEADED after reading about how great they are that they easily lose focus. We ain't done much wrong but on the flipside we are just pushing on enough to get over the line. To some in the media, that's UNACCEPTABLE.

Woodson said:
Simmo has got the timing wrong I believe. With the overated Bombers and the banged up Pies playing in a 'important game' this week, you'd find it virtually impossible to pinch any attention in the media. Sure Simmo makes a great point but North ain't viewed as a serious contender (we lost 7 of our last 8) so until we get three or 4 games ahead on third spot that maybe, just maybe we may get some respect going. Besides, to keep it low key is the way to go for North. I am still skepical that players (any team) get so BIG HEADED after reading about how great they are that they easily lose focus. We ain't done much wrong but on the flipside we are just pushing on enough to get over the line. To some in the media, that's UNACCEPTABLE.

Totally agree Woodson. Going by formlines if we drop (Hawthorn take) the game against us there is every chance we could play good 'retribution' footy for the two weeks over in Adelaide, still go down and wind up 4-3. The more we beat our chest now the more silly we will look if that eventuates.

Granted he acknowledges nothing has been done yet but we have to be careful.

I think the point is we should get coverage no matter what, as many of the other clubs do. Are the media covering the AFL or just a few clubs? If they want to give the best coverage of AFL then there should be a greater balance.

Im pretty sure most AFL fans are interested in whats going on at other clubs, after all, that effects their club. Just like watching a game not involving your team, im interested to see what we’re up against, how they play, whos in form ect ect.

R00StaR said:
I think the point is we should get coverage no matter what, as many of the other clubs do. Are the media covering the AFL or just a few clubs? If they want to give the best coverage of AFL then there should be a greater balance.

Im pretty sure most AFL fans are interested in whats going on at other clubs, after all, that effects their club. Just like watching a game not involving your team, im interested to see what we’re up against, how they play, whos in form ect ect.
Yeah, in the PERFECT WORLD which the AFL is not part of, even if the CEO played for North. :eek:

Something which im sure will help, is Laidley interviews so much better now and may seem more appealing/ approachable to the media.

A big well done to Dean, I think he’s come a long way.

This time last year we had the second best midfield in the league. :eek: Well that's what the morons who write these crap stories said. These people don't know too much about footy and probably feel like idiots about writing nice stuff last year. And so they should. It's only 4 games in FFS.
I don't think these morons will beat us up to look like world beaters only to see us crash and burn in a heap like last year. Unlike Collingwood we will have to earn our respect and that will come by finally having a convincing win.

R00StaR said:
Something which im sure will help, is Laidley interviews so much better now and may seem more appealing/ approachable to the media.

A big well done to Dean, I think he’s come a long way.
Those were interviews of Dean after a win.

:)

I don't mind his interviews actually. I wish there were more like him. He speaks his mind and that is exactly what the interview should be about. What do you get out of a Pagan interview? I can see from Dean's point of view that he has morons who no nothing about the game ask him questions as if they no better. As if he made bad decisions all day yet these experts who have never played a game serve up the most absurd questions and expect him to respond.
It's always easy when you are winning because the questions are friendly.

The other timing issue is that none of the coverage of Collingwood or Essendon has been positive this week. It's all underperformance, softness, nightclubs and injuries. I think we are well out of it.

Nice lot of nostalgia in the Herald Sun yesterday too, added to plenty of positive pieces in both papers over the past week or two, and I don't think we've got much to complain about atm.

I'm getting a bit tired of this "respect" debate. You earn respect by performances and 4 weeks into a 22 week season we have performed quite well. As people were reluctant to acknowledge Port Adelaide until they got past their Final losses, so they are reluctant to acknowledge the Roos until they do better than win the first few rounds as they have done the last couple of years. Let's worry about respect at the end of the year when we can make sensible evaluations of our performances.
I also think the carping about poor coverage of the Roos is inaccurate. I think this year we have done well. In recent weeks, Laidley was featured prominently. Archer has been given enormous praise, the media have covered the Hawks/Roos game in some depth, I have seen Brown and Makepeace on White Line Fever, Archer On The Couch.
It would be hard for media types to justify spending inordinate space on a team whose membership is close to the smallest in the competition!
It would be hard to

roowatch said:
In recent weeks, Laidley was featured prominently. Archer has been given enormous praise, the media have covered the Hawks/Roos game in some depth, I have seen Brown and Makepeace on White Line Fever, Archer On The Couch.

It would be hard for media types to justify spending inordinate space on a team whose membership is close to the smallest in the competition!
It would be hard to

Most of our coverage has been on Fox rather than FTA. Over here in ADL you still see plenty of Wallace, Daniaher, Mick and Sheedy. Even Bomber Tommo gets a good run. Plus you see a lot of the stars from these teams as well. Richo, Lloyd, Buckly (not even playing and still in it), are on all the time but you see very little of the Roos. As for the Saints, I'm sick of them! It's time the club started grooming someone for the media and pushing them into the lime light. Little tackers want to see the stars on TV.

When I was in the west (and I know its a 2 team town) Judd and Pav were on the TV all the time. The stars make the effort. We need to get Wells out there. I know he doesn't like it but public speaking is something you can learn. There are other possible stars to stick infront of the media, CJ is down to earth and with a bit of refining could do well. The Dish should be out there all the time. Even if it's TFS (which we all hate but still watch!). Get our players into the media spot light!

All this talk about membership yet the club doesn't promote the players. Maybe that lack of promotion over the last couple of years is a big reason our membership is down. AND I hate to say it but I reckon Carey has a bit to answer for this. For so long he was the face of North and was the only one out in the media. BUT you ask anyone who doesn't barrack for North and they hated him. Arrogant W they all said. He did very little to attract new people in as members as so many people hated him. Most of my mates love to hate North because of the Carey factor and this hate still lingers on. Despite the fact we were one of the best teams in the 90's our membership didn't grow the way it should have.

Come on North it's time we pushed our players into the spot light as we need all the promotion we can get. The media is the strongest tool for pushing membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mav said:
All this talk about membership yet the club doesn't promote the players. Maybe that lack of promotion over the last couple of years is a big reason our membership is down. AND I hate to say it but I reckon Carey has a bit to answer for this. For so long he was the face of North and was the only one out in the media. BUT you ask anyone who doesn't barrack for North and they hated him. Arrogant W they all said. He did very little to attract new people in as members as so many people hated him. Most of my mates love to hate North because of the Carey factor and this hate still lingers on. Despite the fact we were one of the best teams in the 90's our membership didn't grow the way it should have.

Come on North it's time we pushed our players into the spot light as we need all the promotion we can get. The media is the strongest tool for pushing membership.

Have a look at Woodson's post.

If Collingwood lose - it is a big story.
If Essendon lose - it is a big story.

If Collingwood win - it is a big story.
If Essendon win - it is a big story.

Add to that their respective coaches and their egos. And they fill newspapers.

Do you think if Simmo did a hammy, he would receive anywhere near the attention or publicity Fijam and his hammy have received? Or the Roccas? Sav v Pebble?

As for your garbage about Carey :mad:

If Carey had NOT played for North, I firmly believe that North would either now not exist at all, or exist in another state under another name.
He was the biggest name in football.
And he backed that up with his ability. His football brain, his endeavour, his desire and his competitive nature to win, sometimes turned games.
And North supporters should never forget that.

HOW IS CAREY TO BLAME FOR 7000 MEMBERS NOT RE-SIGNING FROM LAST YEAR? 2004 :rolleyes:

There was an article/interview with Shagga in last week's paper. He made it clear, he didn't like, not sought the limelight. And that is the same with some others.

How much publicity did Arch receive for winning the Jason McCartney medal?

North was the Team of the 90s.

If Essenson or Collingwood had received that title, we would still be hearing about it.
Compare that to how much publicity North received from that title.

I don't want a debate from those who insist that I believe there is a conspiracy against North in the media.

Just read the one-eyed reports form last week's game and you could be forgiven for believing that poor ol' Collinwood lost a game they deserved to win.
Just completely overlook that C. Jones kicked 3-3 and Wellsy missed 1. It just makes better copy to go on and on and on and on about Collingwood.

One more point - as I was driving home from work a couple of week's ago, Arch was on the 3aw. (Yes, couldn't believe my ears)

It was great to hear him interviewed because he is a champion.

BUT I was very disappointed when the interviewer asked Arch about a membership plug.

He didn't know or have the number for lapsed or new North members to call.

The interviewer was bemused. Arch did get the nymber off air.

But for the most senior player and the Shinboner of the Century, not to plug North's membership base (or threaten physical harm) was disappointing.

Michele said:
If Collingwood lose - it is a big story.
If Essendon lose - it is a big story.

If Collingwood win - it is a big story.
If Essendon win - it is a big story.

North was the Team of the 90s. If Essenson or Collingwood had received that title, we would still be hearing about it. Compare that to how much publicity North received from that title.

... they fill newspapers.
Twas always thus, and always thus will be I'm afraid. Life isn't fair. They have a bigger membership base and editors have to sell newspapers.

I agree with roowatch that we've had a 'reasonable' run with the media so far this year, aided, of course, by our good start.

C'mon guys, if we wanted to support a team that got the sort of media glare these teams do, we wouldn't support the Roos! Be honest, we love the Aussie battler, underdogs status. It's part of the attraction! :p

Michele said:
Just read the one-eyed reports form last week's game and you could be forgiven for believing that poor ol' Collinwood lost a game they deserved to win. Just completely overlook that C. Jones kicked 3-3 and Wellsy missed 1. It just makes better copy to go on and on and on and on about Collingwood.
..which is why I agree with you Michele! Bloody Eddie and his cronies... what about me... err, us? We missed goals too!

But seriously, I think it had more to do with the fact that the goals missed by Collingwood were at the end of the game. Had they been earlier, and Corey Jones' misses been later, it would have been reported differently. Similarly if we'd kicked all our goals to snatch victory. Blah, blah, blah. Also, it is hypothetical to say that they would have won if... Who knows what being behind on the scoreboard would have led us to have done?

Michele said:
As for your garbage about Carey :mad: If Carey had NOT played for North... he was the biggest name in football... North supporters should never forget that.

BUT I was very disappointed when the interviewer asked Arch about a membership plug. He didn't know or have the number for lapsed or new North members to call. The interviewer was bemused. Arch did get the number off air. But for the most senior player and the Shinboner of the Century, not to plug North's membership base (or threaten physical harm) was disappointing.
You rail against Arch not remembering a phone number, but defend Carey's arrogance? As much as I appreciate what Carey did for the club, it's my view that his arrogance, which came across in the media, was repugnant to many potential supporters. I'll wager his arrogance lost us more potential members than Arch forgetting a phone number. Anyone who really wants to join will find out. I'll take Archer's humility and genuine commitment to other (eg Stevo, club) over Carey's "It's all about me" egocentricity anyday!
Michele said:
HOW IS CAREY TO BLAME FOR 7000 MEMBERS NOT RE-SIGNING FROM LAST YEAR? 2004
How is Archer? He's not and neither is Carey. Your comment is totally spurious! :cool:
Michele said:
I don't want a debate from those who insist that I believe there is a conspiracy against North in the media.
There need not be a debate, but we're entitled to that assessment Michele. Or are you suggesting no-one should hold a different opinion?

Michele, I took a different interpretation of Mav's comments on Carey. I took his view to meaning that Carey was the media face of the Roos, loved by the media, pushed forward by the Roos. Don't really care whether others liked that or not. But since Carey, we haven't had the same "name" to promote the Club. Maybe the fault of the media, maybe contributed to by North. For whatever reason, there is not hte same focus on the Club via one individual and Mav's view was that the membership lagging was contributed to by the non-promotion from the Club. Not sure whether I am backing the chicken or the egg on this.
I think North play a very precarious balancing game on promotion through the media. They claim they don't get support (maybe true) but then don't allow Wells to comment after the article on him by Archer. They banned talk in the media after Tuesday before a game this season because they didn't want the players to lose focus. Difficult to keep playing that game all the time without falling over sometimes.
I think they do need to groom and encourage some of the younger players to be more active in the media.
As for membership, I have no doubt that the outstanding success of the North Story event has had an impact on the ability of some people to be able to purchase memberships. Hopefully, they will ahve had time to save and get memberships soon.

(Apologies to Mav if I overdid my "interpretation")!

Kimbo said:

You rail against Arch not remembering a phone number, but defend Carey's arrogance? As much as I appreciate what Carey did for the club, it's my view that his arrogance, which came across in the media, was repugnant to many potential supporters. I'll wager his arrogance lost us more potential members than Arch forgetting a phone number. Anyone who really wants to join will find out. I'll take Archer's humility and genuine commitment to other (eg Stevo, club) over Carey's "It's all about me" egocentricity anyday!

How is Archer? He's not and neither is Carey. Your comment is totally spurious! :cool:

I didn't 'rail' against Arch at all. I merely said I was thrilled and surprised to hear him being interviewed on 3AW's Sports Today.

I said I was disappointed that North's most senior player and Shinboner of the Century, didn't try and plug North's membership.

He didn't plug the membership, he was asked by the interviewer to give the membership a plug, but he didn't have the number.
The interviewer, I think it was Dwayne Russell, expressed surprised and made a comment about Arch not knowing the phone number - membership numbers etc.

Now how do you think that came across on radio?

What are we at North seeking. Publicity.

btw There was a quote form an article on Arch this/last week. He stated he wouldn't coach because he hates standing and talking in front of the playing group.

Just as well we had Carey. :) Arrogant - my foot.

Seems no one wants to talk at North. Not Shagga, not Arch, not Wellsy.

roowatch said:
Michele, I took a different interpretation of Mav's comments on Carey. I took his view to meaning that Carey was the media face of the Roos, loved by the media, pushed forward by the Roos. Don't really care whether others liked that or not. But since Carey, we haven't had the same "name" to promote the Club. Maybe the fault of the media, maybe contributed to by North. For whatever reason, there is not hte same focus on the Club via one individual and Mav's view was that the membership lagging was contributed to by the non-promotion from the Club. Not sure whether I am backing the chicken or the egg on this.
I think North play a very precarious balancing game on promotion through the media. They claim they don't get support (maybe true) but then don't allow Wells to comment after the article on him by Archer. They banned talk in the media after Tuesday before a game this season because they didn't want the players to lose focus. Difficult to keep playing that game all the time without falling over sometimes.
I think they do need to groom and encourage some of the younger players to be more active in the media.
As for membership, I have no doubt that the outstanding success of the North Story event has had an impact on the ability of some people to be able to purchase memberships. Hopefully, they will ahve had time to save and get memberships soon.

(Apologies to Mav if I overdid my "interpretation")!

Roowatch

You have partially agreed with what I said earlier.

I don't think Carey actually ever sought out the media, but because he was so good they couldn't ignore him.
I also don't think the media in general liked 'gorgeous eyes' either.

But my point was Carey sold papers.

And why blame/mention Carey. He has not been at the club for a few years :( , yet 7000 members from last year have not re-signed. Why?

We always will be the battlers,thats why we have shinnboner spirit every other team wants it and is trying to create it but will never get it.We don`t have any big names down at North since Wayne Carey left and thats why we don`t get public recognition,with the media or otherwise,So i don`t really care if you don`t see it in the papers for those of us that watch the games week in week out create our own stories and know how we are going.

Keep going North and for those poeple that have not re-signed as a member your missing out on the start of a new era that is the shinnboner spirit.

Michele said:
Would Arch be classified as a big name player? :confused:

I mean, what team wouldn't have Arch in theri side? Wellsy isn't too bad either.
Arch isn't either a goalkicker or a calender poser like Croad or play for the Big 4 Vic clubs.
Who gives a RATS CLACKER what the general public think >>> they would all DIE for a player like ARCH, they know it, we know it, the toothless morons in the opposition cheer squad know it. A Champion of the purest quality.
Big Name player sounds like a novelty as it's a 'glamour thing' unless your a REAL CHAMPION of the game. Ottens is a big name to laugh at. :p

Wellsy is in a different class all together. Big name isn't for him. Doesn't play a key position and besides, he plays for a team that gets continually ridiculed for our facilities to be a 'name' so I'll take the classification of 'future champion' as his moniker than 'Big Name'.
Let the media mince thier words and classifications to thier liking. ie: the Brayden Shaw (Pies fingiest of fringe players) ever to wear a footy boot gets a injury and ALL HELL IS BREAKING LOOSE with some media scoop making it out that he is a 'STAR' of the game. :rolleyes: the trainer falling over >>>did you all see that ?? <<< was bloody hilarious to watch and make a fuss about then the poor bloke falling over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done simmo. stick it up em

Remove this Banner Ad

Back