Well, well, well...lookie here!

Remove this Banner Ad

We're owed so much 'karma' from gifts we gave to clubs in the mid 90s (Bell + Abraham to North), that it's probably time to stop believing that shit. You make your own luck.
Aww man, I really thought we'd get the next five #1 draft picks which we karmically deserve ;)

Oh, and ausbacker... best Eagles fan ever! There may be hope yet. Hmmm, I still prefer not.

In Lyon we trust...

Though in the back of my mind I can't help but think Key forwards can take up to 4 years to come on and does Pavlich have 5 years in him? I'm not sold on JA being a short term gap fill and Mayne certainly should not be our main focal point.

You'd imagine we would trade some player surplus to our needs next season but with lines like superdraft floating around picks will be at an even greater premium.

I was thinking the same. KPF normally take longer to develop than mids so this is kind of done in reverse. The only thing I think is that we are looking at some bit more mature talls in the RD (Tom Lee age type??) to tide us over and then hit the ND hard for talls in 2012.

I guess games are won in the midfield but we still need tall forwards. With Dawson an almost certainty in the PSD, I would of used 1 pick inside the top 30 to draft 1 KPF or KPD this year. Maybe the recruiting staff doesnt think ANY are much chop except for the top couple that were already gone.

Looking from the outside, I guess we are thinking why develop a tall for four years until they start playing a good footy and then when they complete 8 seasons they can be stolen via free agency. That means you get 4 years out of them.

If a tall is ready to go in one or two years, then go for it?

I think a lot of the clubs (Including Fremantle) might now think that unless a young KP player is a sure thing OR they have a significant vacancy right now, then they might as well wait till the rookie draft where they can take time to develop and there is not temptation to rush them in "because they are a high pick". The success rate of a KP after pick 10 in a ND is probably very similar to that of one taken in a rookie draft, mainly because at 17/18 it is just too early to tell.

We're owed so much 'karma' from gifts we gave to clubs in the mid 90s (Bell + Abraham to North), that it's probably time to stop believing that shit. You make your own luck.
Man, you can't even take jokes... you are so uptight.

An because key position players in draft can be hit or miss, if we use 2 picks in top 40 next draft an there both misses it means we have done SFA in the so called super draft.

Still believe should of used 1 of our top 30 picks to take the risk on a hit or miss pick.

Hope to see us trade 1 of our any medium sized players next year to try an get another good draft pick.

An because key position players in draft can be hit or miss, if we use 2 picks in top 40 next draft an there both misses it means we have done SFA in the so called super draft.

Still believe should of used 1 of our top 30 picks to take the risk on a hit or miss pick.

Hope to see us trade 1 of our any medium sized players next year to try an get another good draft pick.

If you want a hit or miss KPP take'm in the rookie draft.

Whilst I have never seem him play I still would have liked Kersten at 29 but that goes along the BF line. We did get an AA junior with senior experience.

The club's logic is solid, all-be-it risky if the higher picks who would more probably work out fail (like a Murphy, McDougall etc).

The other look in will be via the free agent list.

If Forster grows another 3 or 4 cms, we look like we already have our next McPharlin. Amazing how people here thought Kersten at 190 cms was a tall but Forster at 189 cm (and probably more by now) is not.

And while we are waiting for our first premiership, forgive me if I enjoy every minute of watching Hayden Crozier play.

I'll pray for you.

Someone show Clay the refresh button.

Here it is

f5-button.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of the clubs (Including Fremantle) might now think that unless a young KP player is a sure thing OR they have a significant vacancy right now, then they might as well wait till the rookie draft where they can take time to develop and there is not temptation to rush them in "because they are a high pick". The success rate of a KP after pick 10 in a ND is probably very similar to that of one taken in a rookie draft, mainly because at 17/18 it is just too early to tell.

Exactly.

Good to hear they see the massive hole in our list.
Its actually not key backs, i think we have done well to fill that gap an we did it very cheaply.

Key forwards will not be so easily filled.
I dont like our chances of getting 3 picks inside the top 30 again next draft so if we use our 1 high pick on a key forward prospect an he turns out no good it will be a terrible draft for us.
Had we took the gamble this year with just 1 of our top30 picks we could of wasted 1 on a key forward prospect but still had a great draft by picking up good players with other 2 top30 picks.

Might have to consider trading a decent medium sized player to try an get another good draft pick inside the top 30.

Would of been alot better to take the gamble on key forward this draft.

It is great to see that the obvious lack to KP depth is being recognized. Pity that some on here just blindly follow what is happening and accept it regardless.

Dangerous strategy though, I still think that a continual recruitment process is best and we had the chance to pick up one with pick 29 this draft. I am all for picking up the best possible player available. The only problem is when you end up with a team of short asses.

Ahem, I sure hope that we get some great Rookie Picks and PAV Mk II with our first pick next year.

Well, well, well :rolleyes:

There is chance we will not get another Pav until we next bottom out (if at all). The reason why so many clubs are in desperate need of good tall forwards is because there are so few around. WB have been trying to recruit a tall forward in the first round for years and have essentially failed. We may have to fashion a forward line around second tier talls and good small forwards until either the next draft opportunity comes, we can jag one off the rookie list or we somehow trade for one.
The only way WC got Kennedy was part of a trade which saw them lose Judd.

Good to hear they see the massive hole in our list.
Its actually not key backs, i think we have done well to fill that gap an we did it very cheaply.

Key forwards will not be so easily filled.
I dont like our chances of getting 3 picks inside the top 30 again next draft so if we use our 1 high pick on a key forward prospect an he turns out no good it will be a terrible draft for us.
Had we took the gamble this year with just 1 of our top30 picks we could of wasted 1 on a key forward prospect but still had a great draft by picking up good players with other 2 top30 picks.

Might have to consider trading a decent medium sized player to try an get another good draft pick inside the top 30.

Would of been alot better to take the gamble on key forward this draft.

It is great to see that the obvious lack to KP depth is being recognized. Pity that some on here just blindly follow what is happening and accept it regardless.

Dangerous strategy though, I still think that a continual recruitment process is best and we had the chance to pick up one with pick 29 this draft. I am all for picking up the best possible player available. The only problem is when you end up with a team of short asses.

Ahem, I sure hope that we get some great Rookie Picks and PAV Mk II with our first pick next year.

Well, well, well :rolleyes:

Mate, very few people on this site are draft experts, and even they won't know more about the quality of this draft then the recruiters of AFL clubs. Those who you claim "just blindly accept anything" realise this. As of now there judgement is worth more than any one on this site till after 2 or 3 years when we see who actually did well or not.

Mate, very few people on this site are draft experts, and even they won't know more about the quality of this draft then the recruiters of AFL clubs. Those who you claim "just blindly accept anything" realise this. As of now there judgement is worth more than any one on this site till after 2 or 3 years when we see who actually did well or not.

Tis is exactly my point. Fremantle have not drafted a Key Position forward (apart from Houghton which worked out well) in the Draft for over 5 years. Just how long are we expected to keep following the same formula of going to the Rookie list or recruiting players from other clubs who dont work out?

You want to go for 10 years and see how that works out?

P.S. 2006 Draft was a full on Disaster for Freo. Just beyond awful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freman...ting_and_trading_history#2006.2F07_off_season

We all know we have one A-grade power forward,we also have a few lads (kep,zac & JA ) that are capable of playing a role up forward IMO.
The hawks showed that you can mix it with the best with just one power forward and a tall who plays a role.

Remember we are re- building from a list that what was an absolute joke.
Think of it FREO's rebuild as a pyramid.
We've got a really solid foundation now,next is to source a couple of finishing rocks.Which by the sounds of it will start in earnest in next years " bomb draft ".

That was before the present recruiters, so why are you going back over that. If you wanted a good tall in that draft you got Tarrant. the first draft pick was then 31. Won't find no Pav there.

Tis is exactly my point. Fremantle have not drafted a Key Position forward (apart from Houghton which worked out well) in the Draft for over 5 years. Just how long are we expected to keep following the same formula of going to the Rookie list or recruiting players from other clubs who dont work out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freman...ting_and_trading_history#2006.2F07_off_season

Getting a key forward wasn't a priority for most of those 5 years. Only recently have we come out and stated it is. They have a strategy of obtaining one, whether in the next draft, free agency, rookie, what ever, and i can't see how you can question them now when they have far more intimate knowledge of the quality of players available.

so what is it you suggest we do? take players who we think are of lesser quality, purely because they play forward? thats a Bullshit attitude to take into a draft. If we clearly rate one player ahead of another, then we need to take the better of them.

oh and 2008 was also a shocking draft for us, we have had plenty of draft failures, but to suggest that this draft is already a failure is utter rubbish

After that draft there was media speculation suggesting Freo should be looked into for draft tampering due to the quality of players we got with our selections, jagging Mourish late (read Manson for the same type of hype) a prime example of how we may have somehow manipulated the draft.

Also worth noting we delisted Copping, Juniper, Krieger and Warren, as well as trading Polak. The development of talls is not an easy thing, and that draft is a great example of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, well, well...lookie here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back