Preview Wellingham reminds me of Paul Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Marvel 21

Rookie
Aug 20, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
After watching closely some of Wellinghams games throughout the second half of the season im finding he is showing alot of similarities to Paul Williams when he was in full flight..

1) In 50/50 chances he tends to add a tap on (foot or hand) and manages to beat his opponent using his pace.
2) Good over head marking
3) Not affraid to have a go at goals and backs himself.
4) Good ball usage and in and under player.
5) Creative when under pressure.

He mite end up becoming a better player but at his early stages of his career he tends to show similar attributes. possibly could be compared to Peter Matera also..

Williams was a pure half forward who could kick a bag of goals and had super burst of speed.

Wellingham is great inside and a better mark, but is not deadly in front of goal

Different players to me.

Wellingham seems far more like a poor mans Judd to me. Which probably explains why I like him so much.

Only Collingwood mid I've seen run at a pack full tilt and come out with the ball the way Judd does. Just see his first goal in the GF.2 as SORT OF an example of what I'm talking about.

Just like Judd is an extractor and can play outside too, with so so disposal, again, just like Judd.

Also has the ability to shut Judd down. Just see the second Blues game for an example. Got 19 disposals himself and kept Judd to 9 in a half before getting hurt.

In time i think this kid will be a star, just finding his legs in the big time atm.

Has shown awsome talent and flickers of brilliance, i think he will be better than Paul Williams towards the end of his career.

Understand the comparison but Williams is ahead so far but I can't remember him kicking two goals on GF day :)

Williams kicking goals from outside 50 on the run was a true highlight of watching footy when I was younger!

After watching closely some of Wellinghams games throughout the second half of the season im finding he is showing alot of similarities to Paul Williams when he was in full flight..

1) In 50/50 chances he tends to add a tap on (foot or hand) and manages to beat his opponent using his pace.
2) Good over head marking
3) Not affraid to have a go at goals and backs himself.
4) Good ball usage and in and under player.
5) Creative when under pressure.

He mite end up becoming a better player but at his early stages of his career he tends to show similar attributes. possibly could be compared to Peter Matera also..

I can see where your coming from. As others have mentioned Willo was a gem, and was a much better kick for goal.... Willo was my favourite player as a youngster, but I think with time Wellingham will be a better player.. His field kicking has improved a lot since last season.

Wellingham seems far more like a poor mans Judd to me. Which probably explains why I like him so much.

I remember when Pendlebury was a 'poor mans' Dal Santo...
Let's hope the Wello/Judd comparison goes the same way..... :thumbsu::)

I can see a slight comparison between the 2, but to me, Wellingham is more like a Luke Power or Brent Harvey type, who does a lot more inside work then most people give him credit for.

Williams was notoriously "soft" at the start of his career, although he did toughen up over his career, and ended it as a tagger at Sydney.

I'd rate Williams the better player, obviously because of his success over a longer period of time, but I firmly believe that by the end of Wellingham's career, Paul Williams won't be mentioned in the same breath as Sharrod.

You also have to remember Sharrod played injured during the finals series, yet still performed very well in the prelim and the second Grand Final.

I love/loved them both, and was disappointed when Williams went to Sydney.

I think the inclusion of Krakouer and the "youngens" in Sidebottom, Beams, Josh Thomas and Blair over the next few seasons will make Wellingham into an even better player, as he can play a little more "outside" and use his pace.

I can see a slight comparison between the 2, but to me, Wellingham is more like a Luke Power or Brent Harvey type, who does a lot more inside work then most people give him credit for.

Williams was notoriously "soft" at the start of his career, although he did toughen up over his career, and ended it as a tagger at Sydney.

I'd rate Williams the better player, obviously because of his success over a longer period of time, but I firmly believe that by the end of Wellingham's career, Paul Williams won't be mentioned in the same breath as Sharrod.

You also have to remember Sharrod played injured during the finals series, yet still performed very well in the prelim and the second Grand Final.

I think the inclusion of Krakouer and the "youngens" in Sidebottom, Beams, Josh Thomas and Blair over the next few seasons will make Wellingham into an even better player, as he can play a little more "outside" and use his pace.

Spot on, i think if he can improve his foot skills, we will see him dominating out the centre, with his pace we won't need him to give it off, he will destroy sides out of the centre, and i can see him kicking the running goals like Willo from 50 and inside.

I really hope that goal kicking is a real focus at training this year, if we can get that sorted, we are unstoppable, for a few years to com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I think he looks 'Judd-like' at times; particulalrly when he gathers the tap out when able to hit stoppages at pace and the way he often stands up in the tackle.

Have to disagree on this - watched his career from when he was playing Reserves at Vic park - always hard at the ball - manic even. He injured his knee going in hard in a pack and this may have altered his style of play. certainly wasn't soft tho. Willo better player at this stage

play simliar roles.. thats about it.. pendlebury played a simliar role to mick mcguane.

similar roles.. of the 1990 team
Mcguane and pendlebury
daicos and didak
Tony shaw and blair..hopefully
G Wright and thomas:thumbsu:

The thing I remember about a "young Paul Williams" the most was that he didn't slow down before he kicked the ball, and sometimes it would be quite funny watching him run flat out and then spray the ball wide of the mark, it was his trademark early on.:)

yeh i can see the pendles - del santo connection..... they are both left-footers, but I cant see the wellingham - williams connection, although they played for the Pies

maybe there's a wellingham - monkhorst connection?

I'd say our closest play to Willo would be Ben Johnson. Not as stacked as Willo, field kicking is not as good, but has the pace and every time he gets the ball around 50 out you'd almost put your house on him banging it through. Every time Johnno does this it reminds me of when Willo would do the same.

Wellingham I see more as a cross between Paul Licuria and Ryan Lonie, but better disposal than Lica and a lot more courage than Lonie, which puts him above both of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back