Preview Wellingham reminds me of Paul Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Never seen a player kick the ball at full pace with anything like to fluidity or accuracy of Paul Williams, particularly as people have said, at goals. 99% of players need to slow down at least a tiny bit in order to kick it properly when running flat out, Williams on the other hand actually seemed to kick it better and further when at absolute full tilt.

What's with the Licuria/Lonie comparison? There isn't one part of his game that resembles Lonie whatsoever, and I don't see much resemblance to Licca either. Terrible comparison. If you are going to compare to former Collingwood players, I'd say a more dynamic Scott Russell. Probably still not a great comparison.

I can see a slight comparison between the 2, but to me, Wellingham is more like a Luke Power or Brent Harvey type, who does a lot more inside work then most people give him credit for.

Williams was notoriously "soft" at the start of his career, although he did toughen up over his career, and ended it as a tagger at Sydney.

Sorry Matty, but that is as stupid and ignorant a comment as I have ever read on this forum.

Williams was never soft. If you walk into a Premiership side at the age of 18-19, you are not soft, particularly in the early 1990s when footy was a more brutal game.

I remember a Collingwood official in 1990 telling me that they had their eyes on Williams and he would walk into our Premiership side. I looked at the guy as if he was on some serious opioids. When 1991 arrived and Williams played his first game out at VFL Park Waverley against Footscray, burst with the ball from the centre square, took a couple of bounces and drilled at home from outside 50, I could see what he meant.

Wellingham and Williams are nothing alike in my eyes. Williams was predominatley an outside player with blistering speed and a dead eye dick for goal on the run outside 50. Wellers can be both and inside and outside player and his skills aren't as good as Williams just yet.

Wellers has only been around a short while and whilst he has done some very nice things and the signs are etremely encouraging, he hasn't reached anywhere near the heights of Willow's career. (excluding a premiership)

Someone also compared Wellingham to Peter Matera which is almost laughable. Matera is an out and out champion and tore opposition sides a new one so many times, especially in the big dance. I'll never forget the new one he tore Geelong in the 1992 GF (I think). He was absolutely everywhere and banging goals on the run from the member's wing from at least 60 metres out. I was only 17 then but still remember it vividly. Wellers has never tore the opposition a new one in any match to date, but I certainly hope he develops and starts doing it. :thumbsu:

Willow = match winning star. Would have won us the 2002 GF.
Wellingham is good and is important to us- but has a way to go to be a match winner. But there is a reason why we kept him after he lost us the million dollar TAC sponsorship.

After watching closely some of Wellinghams games throughout the second half of the season im finding he is showing alot of similarities to Paul Williams when he was in full flight..

1) In 50/50 chances he tends to add a tap on (foot or hand) and manages to beat his opponent using his pace.
2) Good over head marking
3) Not affraid to have a go at goals and backs himself.
4) Good ball usage and in and under player.
5) Creative when under pressure.

He mite end up becoming a better player but at his early stages of his career he tends to show similar attributes. possibly could be compared to Peter Matera also..

You have compared Wellingham to Peter Matera in any capacity...no....

Wellingham and Williams are nothing alike in my eyes. Williams was predominatley an outside player with blistering speed and a dead eye dick for goal on the run outside 50. Wellers can be both and inside and outside player and his skills aren't as good as Williams just yet.

Wellers has only been around a short while and whilst he has done some very nice things and the signs are etremely encouraging, he hasn't reached anywhere near the heights of Willow's career. (excluding a premiership)

Someone also compared Wellingham to Peter Matera which is almost laughable. Matera is an out and out champion and tore opposition sides a new one so many times, especially in the big dance. I'll never forget the new one he tore Geelong in the 1992 GF (I think). He was absolutely everywhere and banging goals on the run from the member's wing from at least 60 metres out. I was only 17 then but still remember it vividly. Wellers has never tore the opposition a new one in any match to date, but I certainly hope he develops and starts doing it. :thumbsu:

Good post but are people forgetting that Paul's career didn't end at Collingwood? He was a premiership player.

He won 2 B&Fs, a premiership, All Australian and nearly won a Brownlow at Sydney playing more predominantly as a midfielder. He was a better comparison to Wellers when he was at Sydney because he could play inside, outside, he could run with players and he still had pace. His first two years at Sydney were scary good, one of the best players in the competition at the time.

Personally I see Wellingham more in the mould of Judd, or probably closer to the mark, Shain Burgoyne with poorer disposal but probably tougher and more of a defensive game. The Ryan Lonie and Paul Licuria comparison was funny funny funny. Personally I can't think of a Collingwood player like Wellingham in my time watching the game. Williams (Collingwood version) too actually, perhaps Davis when he plays on the wing? Dunno, who cares.

Sorry Matty, but that is as stupid and ignorant a comment as I have ever read on this forum.

Williams was never soft. If you walk into a Premiership side at the age of 18-19, you are not soft, particularly in the early 1990s when footy was a more brutal game.

I remember a Collingwood official in 1990 telling me that they had their eyes on Williams and he would walk into our Premiership side. I looked at the guy as if he was on some serious opioids.

I was talking from a supporters point of view, hence the word "notorious".

It wasn't my belief at the time, as I have always watched the young players an how they attack the ball, but at the time, I'd say 80% of our supporters thought he was soft in his first few years, especially for a player with a solid build.

He came into the side with Troy Lehmman (sp?) and they were both seen as very "outside" players by the supporters at that time.

And as for your official "comment", I'd say 90% of Collingwood supporters have never even spoken to or have an "inside source" at Collingwood, and hence they form their own opinions.

To state that my comment was stupid and ignorant was just plain, well, stupid and ignorant from your behalf, because in 91 and 92, Paul Williams, as far as most Pies fans were concerned, was a little "soft". Sorry, BUT THAT IS HOW IT WAS.

Good post but are people forgetting that Paul's career didn't end at Collingwood? He was a premiership player

Mate I didn't forget about Willow's premiership at all. Hence why I said excluding a premiership because that is the one thing both players have in common. :thumbsu:

I was talking from a supporters point of view, hence the word "notorious".

It wasn't my belief at the time, as I have always watched the young players an how they attack the ball, but at the time, I'd say 80% of our supporters thought he was soft in his first few years, especially for a player with a solid build.

He came into the side with Troy Lehmman (sp?) and they were both seen as very "outside" players by the supporters at that time.

And as for your official "comment", I'd say 90% of Collingwood supporters have never even spoken to or have an "inside source" at Collingwood, and hence they form their own opinions.

To state that my comment was stupid and ignorant was just plain, well, stupid and ignorant from your behalf, because in 91 and 92, Paul Williams, as far as most Pies fans were concerned, was a little "soft". Sorry, BUT THAT IS HOW IT WAS.

You must have incredible access to polling to say 80%. Is your surname 'Gallop' or 'Morgan'?

In the early 1990's I was a social club member and knew maybe 30-40 other social club members. Not one of them thought Williams was soft. Lehman, for sure, he was definetely thought of as not being as hard at the contest as required.

We all rated Williams and Buckley(after the Brown and Daicos retirements) to be absolute A graders. Williams actually won a Copeland whilst Buckley was in the same team. No mean feat. The only question on Williams was his knee problems and his recovery after the 'reco'. And I believe that was the real reason we traded him.

After games we would usually have a drink in the social club and chat with players, officials ect. And believe me, many love to tell you what they know. One of my social club friends was also good friends with Peter Daicos, so after the social club, we usually went to one of Daic's pubs and players in the company of other players also talk a lot more freely.

One night in fact we spent 3 hours( thanks to my friend) talking footy with Leigh Mathews during the 1990 season. Mathews was very open with his comments. He was a big rap for Williams but very critical of others, particularly Brian Taylor. Mathews was also big on players 'going' when it is their turn to 'go' and he mentioned a few names he got rid of because he lost confidence in them putting their body on the line.

It was quite an entertaining evening as Leigh was there with his wife of the time and a friend of hers who adorned the evening with a plunging neckline that seemed to shout to the whole bar 'Hey, look at my ****'.

In fact Leigh put his arm around her at one stage,looked at my friend and I and declared "So what do you think fellas, has she got great **** or what?". Needless to say, only a wife at home prevented me from exploring how great they really were.

I still get a laugh though when I see Leigh on the telly. A great guy to chat footy with for a couple of hours .

terrible comparison. completely different players. 1 is a hard working inside mid with neat skills at best but always improving and the other is an explosive line breaking skillfull midfield who played mainly outside but was one of the best 1 on 1.

Willo was one of my favs and IMO was clearly our second best player in the late 90s.

I like wellers and he plays his role well but not a patch on willo at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back