Were you a member in '96? and still are now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sco

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watching the 1996 grand final the other day, we seemed to have a heap at the grand final (supporters), just wondering if they are all still with us as members or got what they came for and now just follow the roos, not members!

i used to always see that mad old lady on TV barracking her heart out for the roos and dont see her anymore.... maybe she's crook, i dunno?? and maybe she still goes??

anyhow, I was there in 1996 a member at the time
(and have been all my life)... and i'm a member in 2003!

Were you a member then and still are???

Yes was then and still are now.
I go to every grand final but that 96 one was awesome.

That lady you mentioned, I remember on the old roos board someone wrote that she was ill for a while. That was a couple of years ago so not sure what happened since.

Originally posted by KangaMan
anyhow, I was there in 1996 a member at the time
(and have been all my life)... and i'm a member in 2003!

I was there in 96 (& 99). I bought my first membership in about 86 or 87 and have been a member ever since. And I will be a member for the rest of my life...

Yes of course. The lady u mention is a friend of mine. Her and her family dont go as regularly as they used to not sure why, they have never really said, but i think its probably to do with the many changes that have happened.
For example in the mid 90s we used to sit with a big group of about 30, but the afl changed the seating arrangements and we couldnt all sit together as it was impossible to find everyone to book tickets in the same area. We have also moved to docklands.

I have never understood our supporters when we were up and coming our crowds grew and grew we had very large crowds regularly on Friday nights but imo North was becoming to big for the so called big 4 .Remember our membership has grown dramatically since 93 it has now peaked around 20000 to 25000
but it will continue to grow.
Its ironic how we introduced Friday night football at the Mcg but have now lost it.

I've been a member since 93. It was very exciting to be the emerging "Team of the 90s".

And it was a goal that we achieved.

The Friday night matches at the "G" would get about 50000 against Richmond, Carlton etc...

I can't remember that last time we had 40000 at a game (excluding finals). The 28000 at the MCG on a perfect Saturday was a disappointing crowd (for both St Kilda and us).

I think when the club is coming off the bottom of the ladder and starts rising the supporters all rally behind the club. When you are at the top for 7 or 8 years they get used to it. (Remember how big Richmond gets when they have a good year).

Yep, had fence tickets for the 1996 and 1999 grand finals. That's what sleeping at the MCG get you. :eek:

I think the old lady Adriana lost interest and she wasn't sick as some people seem to think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a member since mid 70's, can recall camping out in the back of the station wagon as a kid, whilst the folks had the deck chairs lined up outside the gym in Arden St awaiting final tickets..

Originally posted by Malibu
That wouldn't be Metal Mick from Epping would it Fusion?
He got his head on tellie again on the weekend!! Is he our answer to Joffa?! :p

He's got himself a new big flag as well and is looking as into it as ever!

Thats one thing i miss about no longer playing any more gigs in Epping. Metal Mick up the front bellowing the songs back to us and then yelling out "Go Roosssss!" (u got that perfect Mal!!) between each song!! :D

Rock on Mick!! :cool:

Tried to join in the middle of all the merger stuff in 96, but the club said I might as well wait and join in 97 - which I did and have been a member of some sort ever since. Went to all the finals up to the GF, couldn't get a ticket for that but haven't missed much since then.

I've often wondered where the crowds went too - 50-55000 was the usual crowd for games against Geelong, we had big crowds against the Pies for years, and the great crowd against the Dogs last game in 98 stand out in my memory. We obviously had a lot of supporters (or at least aligned theatregoers) apart from the NMFC members.

Member from '88 onwards including social club membership. I also bought one of those 5 year social club memberships they were offering back in '93 for about $50, I think.
Ended up being one of the best purchases ever considering who much they were costing just a few years later.

Member since the Roos Started their Sydney Push.

Never saw the point in becoming a member if I only saw 1 Roos vs Swans match every year.

(I know better now !)

Originally posted by Hearts to hearts
against the Pies for years, and the great crowd against the Dogs last game in 98 stand out in my memory. We obviously had a lot of supporters (or at least aligned theatregoers) apart from the NMFC members.

That Round 22 match in 1998 v's the Bulldogs was us at our peak IMO. I think we finished on top of the ladder, and that match was one of the best games of football I've seen.

The Bulldogs were very good that year too... it's a pity that both of the clubs are struggling with members this year.

member since 1972 have seen every grand final since 74 except for the draw, well at eleven i had a birthday to go to thanks for the replay, still a member now.

great to see the devout followers of the club on bigfooty, we can only get stronger from here

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you a member in '96? and still are now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back