West Coast > Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee what a great club Carltank was :eek: Most of their players were doing drugs and did nothing to help the players involved... including lying about providing support to them :eek:. I especially like the bit about Carlton payers being able to get him any drug he wanted.... and that he was recruited to drugs by a teammate as a young kid only months after joining the club :eek:

Ex-Blue Angwin points the finger
18 May 2005 Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

FORMER Carlton player Laurence Angwin has accused three "high profile" teammates of also taking ecstasy on the night he was sacked in 2004.

Angwin, who did not name the players in an interview with the Bulletin magazine, said the three were not tested by Carlton officials.

He said he and Karl Norman, who was suspended for a match and fined $5000 for his involvement, did not "dob in" their teammates.

"We were with three other Carlton players, higher profile players than us, who were also doing it," Angwin said.

"They weren't tested and we didn't dob them in.

"No one at Carlton asked us if other players were involved because, I guess, they didn't want to hear the answer."

Told last night of Angwin's accusation, Blues president Ian Collins said: "Well, if that's the case well that's sad." In an explosive interview, Angwin admits:

TOWARDS the end of his short career, he took ecstasy and sometimes cocaine every weekend after matches. "I just thought I was having fun and doing what everyone was doing." Angwin said.

NORMAN and he arrived at training after the night in question without sleeping and were "buzzing";

USE of social drugs were common in the AFL;

PLAYERS knew how to mask social drugs, using "liver-flushing" supplements from health food shops and chemists.

Sure to tarnish Carlton's last-game celebrations at Optus Oval this weekend, Angwin revealed he and teammates had partied and that he and Norman arrived at a Kerford Rd swimming session the next day having not slept.

"In hindsight it wasn't such a smart move to go to training, but we didn't think not to," Angwin said. "We were too switched on, we were still buzzing."

Angwin confessed that he was first offered drugs by a Carlton teammate, a few months after arriving at Optus Oval in 2003.

"There were two guys there, both players who could get you whatever you wanted," he said. Angwin's claims lend support to former Sydney Swan Dale Lewis' explosive revelations in March, 2002, that AFL players frequently used ecstasy, speed and marijuana.

At the time the AFL lambasted Lewis' assertion that "if there wasn't 75 per cent who have done some sort of recreation drug, I'd go he".

Yet two years later, in May 2004, the AFL recognised the emergence of illicit drug use among its players, releasing a new tougher drug code.

While Angwin, who previously pleaded guilty to burglary and theft charges, has a serious credibility problem, just two weeks ago Demon forward Russell Robertson warned in the Herald Sun that drugs were a much more serious issue among AFL players than alcohol.

In the Bulletin article, Angwin said he could name plenty of players who "used drugs, usually ecstasy, every two weeks or so".

Despite Carlton announcing at the time it would assist him with drug rehabilitation and "endeavour to find him meaningful employment", Angwin said he received neither.

I see what you did there.

And you missed Cousins. If you're going to name names, may as well collect the whole set.

Seriously? you thought I had to mention the main offender?

It's much worse for the integrity of the competition. You should just be greatful the AFL lacked the balls to make you hand back your tainted premierships.

Yes, that's why Cousins was deregistered. Because the AFL had no issue with effect he had on the integrity of the game.:eek:

Seriously? you thought I had to mention the main offender?

Making a list
Then checking it twice
Had to find out -
Who snorted some ice

16144.jpg

Gee what a great club Carltank was :eek: Most of their players were doing drugs and did nothing to help the players involved... including lying about providing support to them :eek:. I especially like the bit about Carlton payers being able to get him any drug he wanted.... and that he was recruited to drugs by a teammate as a young kid only months after joining the club :eek:

So what. It mirrors the behaviour of players at WC. I guess the only tangible difference is the coach didn't tell the club about it who then decided to do nothing.

You can have you little excuses as to why Carlton went into the game already accepting that they were going to lose, or you can admit that West Coast were the better team.

Again, no excuses, just facts. Not sure why you insist on repeating this misconception.

And sure, I can admit that the WCE 22 were the better 22 at Subi Oval that night. But the OP is not talking about that right, so why twist my reply into that context? The OP has an entirely different take and I'm just laughing that the facts I'm referring to seem to tell a different tale.

1) Weages were fully fit
2) Tankers were not
3) Judd failed to deliver in finals Again, no surprise.
4) Game was at Subi :confused:
5) They smashed you on your own dung heap, coming off a spoon.

1) True
2) But I thought you just said they were?
3) Again? lulz. The league's best finals player. First off finals games in his career :cool:
4) Replace :confused: with !
5) Our dung heap? Etihad? Lulz! We play better at Subi than that dung heap.

So we're comparing who has the better drug culture then? it's not about football at all.

Shall we explore West Coast's long and distinguished history then:

Michael Gardiner:eek:, Chad Fletcher:eek:, Daniel Chick:eek:, Chris Mainwaring:eek:, Daniel kerr:eek: to name a few and these were top flight or close to top flight players, not some nuffy who could barely crack a game.

One might question why some of these blokes played so well.

maybe show a little ****ing respect about mainwaring please. a jokes a joke but cmon now.

maybe show a little ****ing respect about mainwaring please. a jokes a joke but cmon now.

Correct, it's not funny, but that's what makes this thread premise such a joke. WCE will never be in the same stratosphere as the likes of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood. Hell, even Richmond.

Know your place minnows.

Correct, it's not funny, but that's what makes this thread premise such a joke. WCE will never be in the same stratosphere as the likes of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood. Hell, even Richmond.

Know your place minnows.

Response had promise. You lost me at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shuey, runner up in the rising star award, Masten played some good footy by the end of the year and Hurn is a big part of the leadership group.

Dude i think.... 1 game he played well against the swans

one off those players that has no problems finding the ball .. but looks slow and undecided everytime he gets it........ also he is a pussy soft soft soft soft

on the other hand Shuey and Hurn = Quality

Dude i think.... 1 game he played well against the swans

one off those players that has no problems finding the ball .. but looks slow and undecided everytime he gets it........ also he is a pussy soft soft soft soft

on the other hand Shuey and Hurn = Quality

Quite, no one doubts his ability to get the ball, just totally skill less.

I went to school with Chris and he was always ready for a good laugh however those names were not posted with humour in mind.

Whichever way you paint it their collective antics were an embarrasment to a club that didn't know how to deal with their issues and so initially swept it under the table.

Now the Eagles certainly weren't, arn't and never will be the only ones to get it wrong but for a WC poster to suggest that Carlton's drug problem was somehow worse than WestCoast's was too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast > Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back