Review West Coast defeats Witches Hats

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the dumbest comment of all from supporters is that the umps didn't lose us the game.
That's like saying that fair umpiring should only be expected if you play well and are winning the game.
That's a load of absolute crap.

Umpiring should be fair no matter what team is playing.
I know there'll always be some bloopers but no team deserved the umpires so obviously against them.

We accepted it in that Carlton game a couple of years back and we seem to have lay down after yesterday's umpiring effort.
It was shocking a couple of weeks ago at home too.
Then there's the decision against Charlie last year against Geelong and the Shuey decision.

The massive result of 30 : 13 yesterday. Paying tackles as a push in the back against us then push in the back as tackles for WC.
When the **** will we ever get a fair run?
The frees to oppo clubs in front of bloody goal too.

Now maybe some of it is the way we play but the coaches need to come out and explain that to the masses but one can be forgiven for feeling the umpires seem to have it in for us.

I am so pissed off.

And if the club think they will get a record crowd to the Showdown next weekend, tell 'em they're dreaming, because it won't be due to Port supporters.
It looks like the umpires have no respect for our club the way they umpire our games (commentators dont either fwiw). Yesterday was right up there with the worst performance I have seen (Carlton game was really bad etc). Nothing will change until we publicly call the umpires out and say it is completely unacceptable. Then the pressure is transferred back to the umpires and they have to think twice about every decision against us. And that means less disgraceful decisions.

However, the fault doesn't lie entirely with the umpires. Some of our tackles, holding was pathetic today.

So I listened to Ken's press conference...and for the first time, I was actually angry at what he had to say.

He talks about the fact that losing contested possession by such a huge margin was the reason why we lost, and that our over use of handball was a symptom of not being able to handle pressure.

Bullshit. ******* bullshit. It was the other way around. Our over use of handball was a symptom of a playing group that believed running fast and jamming the ball into holes that weren't even there was the way to win, which created pressure on the player with the ball, which resulted in excessive amounts of loose ball gets for West Coast because we never, ever got into clear space with a kick away from the congestion.

That's why we got slaughtered in clearances.

This is where we need a player like Rockliff at the coal face, because that's exactly what he's good at. That little dinky 20m kick to a player in space.

Like I said, if he thinks that style is truly the way to go against a team like West Coast...he needs to **** off immediately. Tell the players to play what is in front of them, and that being brave doesn't mean being ******* stupid.

yes but did he say Full Credit to West Coast?

We started to look better when

a) we started to actually contest the ball and win contested ball. So Ken is right as far as that goes

b) when we played our tall forwards close to goal where they became a threat and created structure. Which Ken doesn't like as he wants them upfield relieving pressure. But even Healy noted the change and improvement.

c) we started matching West Coast's work rate around the ball. Stop believing this fitness supermen crap and rope a dope wear them down self-mythologising. Contest hard from the outset.

That's why we need another mobile tall marking target back on the side. Marshall of course but play Frampton in the mean time. He can chop out Paddy in ruck and the tall forwards can stay close to goal.

Bring back SPP and Rocky to start in the square and fight like demons for the contested ball. Rely on our around the ground talls to win or halve aerial contests without having Dixon and Watts both 120m away from goal. Drop the tiny teddy under performers.

Let's get back to basics of Port Adelaide football and coach to win games by concentrating on what we do and not convoluted strategies about stopping what the other team does. Worry about bells and whistles later. That's if we need them.

As old mate Eddie Woloschek said Footy Ain't PlayStation. Nor is it rocket science. Do the basics well and a lot will take care of itself.

The season is young still and we can do great things if we do the right things.
It's also amazing how a well drilled and seemingly highly skilled team starts to make mistakes when they trail on the scoreboard or if scores are close, or if momentum is with the other team. WCE started to look far less polished when we did the above things. Would have been nice to have seen it from minute 1.

Unpopular opinion: We weren't that bad. Got smashed in contested ball yes but imagine being a port player going for the ball knowing that whatever u do the dopey green campaigners are gonna find an excuse to pull the whistle from between their cheeks and stick your direct opponent in the goalsquare over and over and over again (×34). Its no wonder we play scared.

I am not usually an umpire blamer, or i wasn't till yesterday anyway. Did they lose us the game? Probably not. Did they do just enough to sap our momentum at crucial times and turn the ball over at crucial spots on the field? Does the pope shit in the woods?

I am still fuming over this. My hand still hurts from thumping the wooden bit of the couch. How can they call holding the ball an in the back down one end, only to call that exact same in the back as holding the ball when it came our turn down the other end? Also the Robbie Gray 'throw'. The i cant remember who 1 millisecond jumper tug all the while dixon cops his usual 3 on 1 gangbang down the other end without even so much as a hot lunch to show for it. There were more too, these are just the obviously wrong ones without going into the 50/50s.

I am used to us being reamed in free kicks for the crime of being us but that was something else. Am considering walking away from the game unless port or the afl grow some ****ing balls and come out demanding some kind of review into the absolutely diabolical, amateurish, borderline corrupt, overzealous matchday administration of our once great game, because right now the game is broken, as am I.

RIP 2018.

Last edited:
I think the dumbest comment of all from supporters is that the umps didn't lose us the game.
That's like saying that fair umpiring should only be expected if you play well and are winning the game.
That's a load of absolute crap.

Umpiring should be fair no matter what team is playing.
I know there'll always be some bloopers but no team deserved the umpires so obviously against them.

We accepted it in that Carlton game a couple of years back and we seem to have lay down after yesterday's umpiring effort.
It was shocking a couple of weeks ago at home too.
Then there's the decision against Charlie last year against Geelong and the Shuey decision.

The massive result of 30 : 13 yesterday. Paying tackles as a push in the back against us then push in the back as tackles for WC.
When the **** will we ever get a fair run?
The frees to oppo clubs in front of bloody goal too.

Now maybe some of it is the way we play but the coaches need to come out and explain that to the masses but one can be forgiven for feeling the umpires seem to have it in for us.

I am so pissed off.

And if the club think they will get a record crowd to the Showdown next weekend, tell 'em they're dreaming, because it won't be due to Port supporters.
We are all very aware of how bad the umpire it was yesterday yet again and that Club does nothing to stand up for itself which is part of the reason why we get reamed.

but you reverse that free kick count to 13:30 our way and we still would have lost and we would have lost for the same predictable reasons we are disappointed and depressed about

most of your comment was correct except it did not cause the loss. we would have found the way to lose

It's also amazing how a well drilled and seemingly highly skilled team starts to make mistakes when they trail on the scoreboard or if scores are close, or if momentum is with the other team. WCE started to look far less polished when we did the above things. Would have been nice to have seen it from minute 1.

All season it looks like we are prepared to concede dominance early relying on our ability to absorb pressure. We want to let the other team wear themselves down and overrun them in the second half with superior fitness.

Which like all things nice in theory tends to fall apart in the face of the reality of being 50 points down halfway through the third quarter.

We have yet to come out this year in a game and assert ourselves from the outset and put the opposition back on their heels. Other teams know it and so we do not create a fear factor with any team. They all think they can beat us.

It's a change in mindset and strategy. It can be done and we have to prove we can do it.

but you reverse that free kick count to 13:30 our way and we still would have lost

I want to disagree with this but deep down we all know that Dixon would kick 2 goals 8 behinds if afforded the Kennedy luxury in front of goals

We are all very aware of how bad the umpire it was yesterday yet again and that Club does nothing to stand up for itself which is part of the reason why we get reamed.

but you reverse that free kick count to 13:30 our way and we still would have lost and we would have lost for the same predictable reasons we are disappointed and depressed about

most of your comment was correct except it did not cause the loss. we would have found the way to lose
I agree it didn't cause the loss but it sure helped and sure helped decimate our percentage. No wonder Charlie feels hard done by.
And still we deserve fair umpiring.

I'm frustrated and pissed off because our midfield's inability to win the contested ball has plagued us since 2014.

In 2014, sure, we played that kamikaze slingshot brand of footy, but it was all based on winning the contested footy. I would get excited before a game knowing that our midfield appeared to be willing to die on the field to win the footy in a tight contest.

These days I go into the game expecting us to get reamed in contested ball, and that we have to overcome that obstacle to win the game. Clarko has frequently emphasised that contested ball is not.the be all and end all, but their skills are the best in the comp. Hence, they are able to further capitalise on the chances they get. Our skills however are bottom 4-5 in the comp.

Less opportunities combined with horrendous skills creates for losses like yesterday's which have all too become the norm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got absolutely destroyed in and around the ball for 2 and a half quarters.
We finally moved out that loose man from defence and we actually looked somewhat at least local amateur league standard going forward.
We actually started kicking a score.
Even with that loose man back there, they still peppered shots on goal and took marks inside 50.
A loss by 7 goals, from a team that believes in defence, defence, defence is an utter smashing. Not to mention their best midfielder went down in the first 5 minutes for the entire game.

Unpopular opinion: We weren't that bad. Got smashed in contested ball yes but imagine being a port player going for the ball knowing that whatever u do the dopey green campaigners are gonna find an excuse to pull the whistle from between their cheeks and stick your direct opponent in the goalsquare over and over and over again (×34).

I am not usually an umpire blamer, or i wasn't till yesterday anyway. Did they lose us the game? Probably not. Did they do just enough to sap our momentum at crucial times and turn the ball over at crucial spots on the field? Does the pope shit in the woods?

I am still fuming over this. My hand still hurts from thumping the wooden bit of the couch. How can they call holding the ball an in the back down one end, only to call that exact same in the back as holding the ball when it came our turn down the other end? Also the Robbie Gray 'throw'. The i cant remember who 1 millisecond jumper tug all the while dixon cops his usual 3 on 1 gangbang down the other end without even so much as a hot lunch to show for it. There were more too, these are just the obviously wrong ones without going into the 50/50s.

I am used to us being reamed in free kicks for the crime of being us but that was something else. Am considering walking away from the game unless port or the afl grow some ******* balls and come out demanding some kind of review into the absolutely diabolical, amateurish borderline corrupt, overzealous matchday administration of our once great game, because right now the game is broken, as am I.

RIP 2018.

Yeah i didnt think we were too bad till 3/4 time. This wasnt an Essendon or Melbourne 17 type limp effort. We were just beaten by a better team who came with a better gameplan than what we have.

The last quarter was shithouse though. We are pathetic coming from behind in last quarters. Too hard, give up

Unpopular opinion: We weren't that bad. Got smashed in contested ball yes but imagine being a port player going for the ball knowing that whatever u do the dopey green campaigners are gonna find an excuse to pull out the whistle and stick your direct opponent in the goalsquare over and over and over again (×34).

I am used to us being reamed in free kicks for the crime of being us but that was something else. Am considering walking away from the game unless port or the afl grow some ******* balls and come out demanding some kind of review into the absolutely diabolical, amateurish borderline corrupt, overzealous matchday administration of our once great game, because right now the game is broken, as am I.

RIP 2018.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We lost the contested possession count by 42 lol. 42.

Over the last two weeks the biggest differentials in CP, outside of our loss last night, have been -22, -30 and -31. The -22 being Carlton against Adelaide last night, -30 being Gold Coast vs Adelaide last round and -31 Collingwood vs Richmond last round.

To even be having the conversation that our contested ball work is significantly worse than Carlton, Gold Coast and Collingwood is disgraceful. We have an engine room as good as any. Ebert, R. Gray, Polec, Wines...with SPP and Rockliff to come back in.

It’s the plodders around those blokes who we can’t afford to carry. We have far too many “cherry on top” outside types who completely rely on our inside mids to hand-feed them opportunities.

Don’t get me wrong, the umpiring was farcical last night, but we are never beating half-decent sides so long as the coaching panel continues actively handicapping the team.

back onto AJ. He's filled the Wingard void nicely. Maybe not as 'pressure acty' as Neade but i think he makes Neade redundant should we get to bring Marshall back into the forward line

It's just nice to see someone 30m out on 45d angle kick it farken

Yeah i didnt think we were too bad till 3/4 time. This wasnt an Essendon or Melbourne 17 type limp effort. We were just beaten by a better team who came with a better gameplan than what we have.

The last quarter was shithouse though. We are pathetic coming from behind in last quarters. Too hard, give up

Regardless of the ganeplan we are still soft. Only one game all year where we've won the contested ball.

All season it looks like we are prepared to concede dominance early relying on our ability to absorb pressure. We want to let the other team wear themselves down and overrun them in the second half with superior fitness.

Which like all things nice in theory tends to fall apart in the face of the reality of being 50 points down halfway through the third quarter.

We have yet to come out this year in a game and assert ourselves from the outset and put the opposition back on their heels. Other teams know it and so we do not create a fear factor with any team. They all think they can beat us.

It's a change in mindset and strategy. It can be done and we have to prove we can do it.
Unfortunately I am adding our slow starts this year to the diabolical starts against Adelaide recently and deducing a smacking.

Why was Amon in the centre square at the start of the game? He was with Gaff at the opening bounce, and I'm not sure if Karl was supposed to be playing some sort of defensive role, but Gaff had 11 touches in the first quarter.

Also, with Jonas, Hombsch, Howard and Westhoff in the side, how did we allow Jack Darling to take a career high six contested marks?

Last edited:
Some good points there but is your suggestions to not play fast football again because it will lose against half the teams....rather to play an insipid grind down game style - which itself loses against half the teams?

that sounds like eating the same shit sandwich from the other direction expecting a different taste

Wouldn't The Logical thing to do we play the correct strategy against each individual team my observation is we have the cattle to do it then during the games were we change the style we do perform well that sounds more like failed game day coaching direction and choosing the incorrect strategy to beat the other team

My suggestion is to play what is in front of you. That's why I say our players are dumb.

If the opposition is surrounding the contest, that means that there are players free elsewhere on the ground. We have idiots who seem to want to try and run through that wall instead of going around it at speed.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with how we approached the game against Geelong. The speed of execution was the problem. You cannot force things to happen against a stacked team defence and a top side. You can overpower a side like North Melbourne, Carlton, Gold Coast with brute force, but against the more well drilled sides a scalpel is required. And like any surgery, there are times when speed is required, and sometimes when precision is.

Until we learn to play both styles at the same time, we won't go anywhere. And we'll keep losing.

I look at Boak and his comments at half time. ****ing ludicrous bullshit from the captain saying that we actually WANT to sell ourselves into trouble with too much handball, that we were 'playing our style' and that we just had to keep at it. Then you listen to Ken's press conference and he's saying the exact opposite, that we weren't and we were getting flogged at the contest and the handball was a symptom of being under pressure.

That shows a complete disconnect between what the head coach believes the gameplan is and what the captain believes the gameplan is. Compare that to Wines, who actually seems to have an idea of what we are trying to accomplish.

The spare man in defence has not been working all year. Each time we do it, the opposition puts their spare around the ball causing us to lose contested possessions. If we were building something from half-back, it might be okay but we are not.

Also, Boak has to start on the ball in a few games. There is no doubt he has the engine for it. It is a better position for him to influence the game. It is a position where his stuff ups in disposal may hurt us less.

Losing Marshall at one end and Hartlett at the other has unbalanced us. It would be nice to think we had a team in which players can slot in easily to fill gaps but we don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review West Coast defeats Witches Hats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back