Club Focus West Coast Eagles 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

They are going to get absolutely crucified by the media over there for this deal

Only one word describes this: cluster ****.

They could have got 14 for Barrass, used it for Baker (with something later back), kept 3, and got Owies for whatever later pick Richmond gave.

3, Baker, Owies vs 12, Baker, Owies.

If both arent in the Eagles top 5 B and F there would be riots.

3 could still have been turned into 2 picks around the 10 mark too...

You don’t get access to top 5 picks as often as you like.

2022 - trade from 2 (Sheezel) to 8 and 12 (Ginbey and Hewett)
2024 - trade from 3 for 12, Baker and Owies??

Scratching my head
Yeah it makes no sense, though I reckon Sheezel would have been a flight risk. I thought West Coast learned their lesson with Reid. Maybe they got mail that everyone they wanted at 3 was also a flight risk? Still a poor trade but more understandable if that's the case.

Pick 12 is likely Bo Allan who is a top young player.

Eagles get three players with one pick.
You're assuming Freo don't keep pick 11 and take him there.

They could have got 14 for Barrass, used it for Baker (with something later back), kept 3, and got Owies for whatever later pick Richmond gave.

yep, will go down as one of the worst trades in history you'd suspect.

Hawks already got rid of p14 to carlton

There appear to be both apples and oranges involved in that analysis.

Is this really that bad a trade? They get Baker and keep a first round - for a team with the paucity of talent of this mob that might be better than hoping they can find talent at #3 that will stick around for the long term.

And plenty of pressure on Blues to get #3 right - they've spent two firsts and a second on this bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There appear to be both apples and oranges involved in that analysis.

Is this really that bad a trade? They get Baker and keep a first round - for a team with the paucity of talent of this mob that might be better than hoping they can find talent at #3 that will stick around for the long term.

And plenty of pressure on Blues to get #3 right - they've spent two firsts and a second on this bloke.
Baker is an uncontracted 27 year old role player. A very good player but not worth taking a 9-pick downgrade on pick 3 for. Even 3 for 6 + Baker was questionable.

Baker is an uncontracted 27 year old role player. A very good player but not worth taking a 9-pick downgrade on pick 3 for. Even 3 for 6 + Baker was questionable.
But Dockers were sweating on him so there was real competition. He's a heart & soul player with some real ticker and not a little skill (one of my fave neutrals in the comp when he's up & about). He kinda feels just what your rudderless mob need right now (though last couple of years at the Tiges would suggest he'll need support).

So, sure it feels overs but you've got to start somewhere.

But Dockers were sweating on him so there was real competition. He's a heart & soul player with some real ticker and not a little skill (one of my fave neutrals in the comp when he's up & about). He kinda feels just what your rudderless mob need right now (though last couple of years at the Tiges would suggest he'll need support).

So, sure it feels overs but you've got to start somewhere.
We finished 17th this year. In no world should we be using first round picks for anything other than key pieces for our next premiership team. F2 was plenty for Baker. Swap 26 for 32 when Richmond had that pick if we really had to. If went to Freo, so be it.

We've just given up the third pick of the draft for a guy who will be very lucky to play in our next flag side.

Shocking deal for the eagles. If they were splitting 3 surely they could of done better.

14 gets pushed back to 17/18? For Baker it probably ends up being about right.

Carlton have made out like absolute pigs here.

We finished 17th this year. In no world should we be using first round picks for anything other than key pieces for our next premiership team. F2 was plenty for Baker. Swap 26 for 32 when Richmond had that pick if we really had to. If went to Freo, so be it.

We've just given up the third pick of the draft for a guy who will be very lucky to play in our next flag side.
Fair enough, you know your squad better than I do - just feel like you have to have leadership around the youngsters otherwise you end up looking like North.

We can say face value, eagles should have done better but we won't really know to this time next year to fully condemn the trade.

Shocking deal for the eagles. If they were splitting 3 surely they could of done better.

14 gets pushed back to 17/18? For Baker it probably ends up being about right.

Carlton have made out like absolute pigs here.

I've been mocking them ...because you know.

However I was expecting that there was something else to the deal that wasn't being reported.

I almost feel sorry for them.

With The Gun it's predominately self harm.

He gets extremely focused on any trade discussions involving Tigers players and gets disappointed when they go for market rates instead of his over inflated value.

It's going to be a tough off season for him. ;)
So far pick #14 for Baker
#6 + #23 for Rioli
#10 + #11 for Bolton

Yes i am having a really Tough off season

How you going are you ok ?

Only possible things I can think of are:

1) "We'll help you out this time and you do a favourable deal with us next time" handshake deal with Carlton/Richmond. WC know they traded for unders but will get 'overs' for some future deals with the Blues and Tigers.

2) WC feel most of the top draft picks are mummy's boys who won't come to Perth, so Eagles decided trading back for a local talent + someone who actively wants to come to them is better than wasting Pick 3 on someone who they feel won't commit to stay.

I've been mocking them ...because you know.

However I was expecting that there was something else to the deal that wasn't being reported.

I almost feel sorry for them.
Too much under rating of Blair Hartley in these threads
he is looking like a super star getting everything he wants so far with Rioli & Baker looking done

Baker went for Market Value ( Richmond Market )

Eagles board is on fire, no support for this trade whatsoever. One of the worst moves in club history. I hated barrass for 14 and a F2 but would have much rather given that up for owies and Baker (who I didn't want anyway)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus West Coast Eagles 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back