2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone able to access the replay of Saturday's WAFL game?

Couldn't catch it live so have been meaning to watch the replay, but the AFL website hasn't uploaded it yet. There's some extended highlights but I was keen to see how Johnston, Sheed, Gaff, Trew, Culley etc went over the full 4 quarters.

It appears they have uploaded the replays for all the other Round 2 WAFL games, except ours...

The "companion horse" Jason Gilbee has had a flat start to the season.

I would have expected he'd be a bit more given he started last years VFL with a few 20+ touch games.

Lined up on the outer wing at pretty much every centre bounce in Round 1, so it’s possible he’s been given the dreaded “defensive wing” role, which would account for his low possession numbers.

The "companion horse" Jason Gilbee has had a flat start to the season.

I would have expected he'd be a bit more given he started last years VFL with a few 20+ touch games.

Still adjusting to the milk in WA

Lined up on the outer wing at pretty much every centre bounce in Round 1, so it’s possible he’s been given the dreaded “defensive wing” role, which would account for his low possession numbers.
Such an important role. Has been critical to our success over the last few years.

Trew is putting together, stats wise anyway, a very good year, and is our best performed player in the Beagles. I wouldn't be too hasty on him, as he has been crippled by injury these past two years. Plus, he did well in an Eagle's game at the back end of '23, maybe the last game of the season, I don't recall exactly, but he was good. He can play.

Yeah i don't mind Trew, he does what's expected of him at WAFL level. Performs well, is generally one of our better players and he walks off with stats you'd expect from an AFL listed player. Does his job.

It's the fact none of his WAFL stuff really transfers over to AFL level which is the problem. He can play a full game and walk off with trash stats. 7 disposals last full game he played vs the power last year. 7 vs Carlton and 13 vs Bulldogs in 2022.

Other than that he's generally sub fodder and i he was only retained by the skin of his teeth last offseason so i'm thinking he's up against it.

This was posted in the changes thread but it’s relevant here as well

Does provide confirmation that Harry Edwards has indeed been suspended

Harry Edwards

“It was a tough line that Harry was playing with the ball coming in so quickly. He had some good moments and some poor moments. He will miss a week (with suspension) which is really disappointing for us as a team, and for him individually, but knowing ‘H’, he will want to make up for it.”

Leaves us with a maximum of 37 players available for this weekend depending on the fitness tests for Maric and Luke Edwards

Assuming we have our usual non-playing emergency we’ll have between 11-13 listed players for East Fremantle. (Last year’s premiers and they touched us up in preseason so it could be another difficult game)

Considering the WCER game is at 10am on the same day as WCE/Richmond game, would WCE keep a player just in case one goes down in the pre game warm up? Players pinging a hammy in the warm up last minute has happened before.

Considering the WCER game is at 10am on the same day as WCE/Richmond game, would WCE keep a player just in case one goes down in the pre game warm up? Players pinging a hammy in the warm up last minute has happened before.

WE normally have at least one player held out

Last week it was Jamaine Jones

WE normally have at least one player held out

Last week it was Jamaine Jones

Depends on whether there are any questions marks over the 23 as well though.

We held a player out a lot due to the fact our B23 was so unhealthy and having problems getting up.

When we’ve had a healthier list we often had our emergency play a half and the head Optus just in case.

Any confirmation on Harry Edwards getting suspended ?

Confirmed:

“West Coast Eagles defender Harry Edwards will not be available for selection this weekend after being handed a one game suspension by the Match Review Panel.

Edwards was reported for engaging in rough conduct for a dangerous tackle on South Fremantle’s Dylan Main on Saturday, with a base sanction of a two-week ban, reduced to one week for an early guilty plea.

The Eagles will face East Fremantle at Mineral Resources Park on Sunday, bouncedown at 10am.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Sheed, Culley and Ryan all on some form of limited minutes I don’t think we can afford to have an emergency play a half. Someone will probably have to sit out altogether

Both games are also on the same day which makes it even more problematic - WAFL at 10.00am and seniors at 2.00pm

Yes, because curtain raisers are played on the same day, at the same ground.

Would save a lot of effort and time working through logistics, physios, support staff etc.

Makes perfect sense.

But it won't happen. If we do get to a reserves comp their won't be curtain raisers as the grounds won't allow that much use.

It really is going to be nothing like it was in the past.

But it won't happen. If we do get to a reserves comp their won't be curtain raisers as the grounds won't allow that much use.

It really is going to be nothing like it was in the past.

AFL already plays VFL games at Marvel, GMHBa, SCG, Manuka, and I think the oval directly outside Metricon(?)

Not all games would be curtain raisers, but there’s plenty of scope for them.

AFL already plays VFL games at Marvel, GMHBa, SCG, Manuka, and I think the oval directly outside Metricon(?)

Not all games would be curtain raisers, but there’s plenty of scope for them.

Yes agree that the odd one might happen. But again it will finish an hour and a half before the main game so who will go watch it. It is clear no one cares about watching the Eagles seconds now so why would that change?

Such an important role. Has been critical to our success over the last few years.
Dont knock it. If we didnt have a bloke sitting out there guarding grass with his thumb up his arse, then the ball would move freely through that wing instead of through the corridor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back