2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we have a shit tonne of inside mids and no wings

Is he really exclusively "inside" though? Seems like he could be well balanced at both - moreso than Kelly IMO.

I know West Perth are dogshit, and still beating us (lol), but this is why Darling fulfilling the last year of his contract is a no brainer. Getting to 300 aside, which is nice but not something you can make a list decision based on, the benefit of having a few additional senior bodies for this Beagles side is going to be immeasurable for their development.

We simply can’t expect highly rated kids to develop alongside their counterparts at other AFL clubs when the Beagles is just a bunch of 18-23 year olds clinging on for dear life against fully grown and much more experienced players.

Darling, maybe Sheed, if Cripps gets phased out (which I don’t see happening given his AFL output), Witho. These guys have a serious role to play and are good break glass in case of emergency AFL options to have at the end of your list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know West Perth are dogshit, and still beating us (lol), but this is why Darling fulfilling the last year of his contract is a no brainer. Getting to 300 aside, which is nice but not something you can make a list decision based on, the benefit of having a few additional senior bodies for this Beagles side is going to be immeasurable for their development.

We simply can’t expect highly rated kids to develop alongside other their counterparts at other AFL clubs when the Beagles is just a bunch of 18-23 year olds clinging on for dear life against fully grown and much more experienced players.

Darling, maybe Sheed, if Cripps gets phased out (which I don’t see happening given his AFL output), Witho. These guys have a serious role to play and are good break glass in case of emergency AFL options to have at the end of your list.

It also points to the flaws in our team selection for this year at least. There wasn't the priority on youth in their positions, it was automatically given to veterans.

We are a rebuilding side, priority should be given to youth, if Flynn, Darling, Sheed, Rotham were made to earn their spots alongside developing players in the WAFL we'd have a better idea where we are actually at. Instead we're already hypothetically delisting Burgiel because he plays in a team akin to a veritable pile of dogshit.

I think he could play both. But hes not gonna get ahead of the five or so already ahead of him playing inside
There are options to get him more time in the middle. Kelly can rotate to a wing or hff. Yeo can move to half back. Ginbey can move to half back.
Saying we've got no wings so he has to play there makes no sense if he's crap at it, we have other running players who could play on the wing and do as much as Chesser does

It also points to the flaws in our team selection for this year at least. There wasn't the priority on youth in their positions, it was automatically given to veterans.

We are a rebuilding side, priority should be given to youth, if Flynn, Darling, Sheed, Rotham were made to earn their spots alongside developing players in the WAFL we'd have a better idea where we are actually at. Instead we're already hypothetically delisting Burgiel because he plays in a team akin to a veritable pile of dogshit.
Bailey Williams WAFL minutes with a Flynn and JWill chop out ruck approach at league level ❤️❤️❤️

Loves it in there. Can see his speed. Leave him there for the next 2-3 weeks.
For sure. Get his confidence up. Then bring him back in for a midfield rotation instead of throwing Hail Mary's at players like Ryan and Brockman (though they've had their moments) and move a winger to the wing - like the ones we drafted in Johnston amd Burgiel.

This isn't revolutionary stuff either. The Eagles have (for as long as I can remember) tried to outsmart the competition by shoehorning players into positions that just aren't for them.

Who are the five? I can only think of four - Yeo, Reid, Kelly and Ginbey.
Often they aren't all playing. Other teams play much deeper midfields than we do.
I was including hewett but he is more of a pipe dream at this stage.

Guys like trew and culley can only play as inside mids so probably have to be in there.

Do you actually have any evidence that other teams play deeper midfields?

There are options to get him more time in the middle. Kelly can rotate to a wing or hff. Yeo can move to half back. Ginbey can move to half back.
Saying we've got no wings so he has to play there makes no sense if he's crap at it, we have other running players who could play on the wing and do as much as Chesser does

100% all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back