West Coast players being exposed in the absence of Judd and Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Independent Observer

Team Captain
Suspended
Jul 19, 2005
Other Teams
The Underdog
Now, it is not a slur on any player. A dominant midfield will always gloss over weaknesses and protect players who arent as exceptional as once thought.

Chad Fletcher
Andrew Embley
Darren Glass
Adam Hunter
Michael Braun
Ash Hansen
Quinten Lynch

Chad Fletcher has always been an outside mid, but this year and last year he has been exposed as a player who will not commit, he'd rather run around a body than through. Without the space and the hard work done by other players he hasnt shown much.

Andrew Embley, been horrible for a while now,seems to have lost his tank and only runs foward. Refuses to work hard in the absence of gut runners. Kicking is appalling, without the extra time manafactured by the former players he just kicks to no one.

Darren Glass, I'll wait for the storm for this one. But so far this year, in the absence of Judd and Cousins, and the dominance a midfield combo of such calibre brings, he's had 14 goals kicked on him in 3 games this year. Thats 4 and a bit a game.

Adam Hunter, where has he been?

Michael Braun, stilll working hard but isnt getting reward for running simply because West Coast arent winning as much ball.

Ash Hansen. If the ball isnt delivered lace out on the ___, every time, he is a liability. Hits the deck, he's out of the contest, cant put pressure on opposing defence running out and doesnt take contested marks. Trade Bait.

Quinten Lynch, doing his job but not as damaging without the constant supply.

Hunter had a interrupted preseason. He played well against Freo. Glass & Lynch have been trying hard. Add Stenglien to that list. He has done crapola as well.

Hunter had a interrupted preseason. He played well against Freo. Glass & Lynch have been trying hard. Add Stenglien to that list. He has done crapola as well.

From memory, didn't Stinger get injured in the pre-season?

I think it is mainly your forwardline that has suffered, it has exposed lynch and hansen badly without the hard running nad quick ball movement of judd and cousins. maybe get kennedy in there for either lynch or hansen, and then expose masten and ebert a little more in the midfield, those two were rated higher than palmer and he has instantly made our midfield look better, maybe your young guns can do the same :thumbsu:

I thought Hunter had one of his best games so far for the season. Started to do some good things. Hurn looks so much better running through the midfield and I thought he did alright yesterday too. Nicoski has to go back to WAFL to get some form. He's been out for too long. I'd like to see Jmac come in and have a go. Braun still works his arse off as usual and we need him because he is one of the better deliverers of the ball. Fletcher needs to go back to WAFL. Same with Hansen. Give Kennedy a chance to shine. Embley put in a much better effort against the Crows last week but once again went missing yesterday. Needs to lift his game big time. Other than that, their decision making is still very poor and handballing to stationary targets is just asking for trouble. Where has our running game gone?

Do you think that it is conceivable that the club would consider redrafting Cousins in 2009 if he is "rehabilitated" and we do have a totally crap year?:rolleyes:

hunter played very well yesterday. hes hardly worth questioning.

its mainly hansen, embers and fletch. the others are doing fine.

I'll concur with every comment bar Hunter and Lynch.

Lynch hasnt changed, even when the two Brownlows were running around. Will always be a good forward but not great (ie Pav Brown Fev etc)

Hunter has been very good in contested situations and decision making. 5 FA hurt is other wise good game yesterday.

Fletcher, agree.

Embley, agree.

Braun, agree. Old legs are catching up with one of our favourite sons. However every club needs outside mids.

Glass was destroyed by Jono Brown (6) but was clearly hampered yesterday. Pac took full toll after a slow start as champion players should.

Hansen has always needed silver service, always. Watch him in the WAFL one time, damn he sucked.

We are in a positon we arent used to, but will perserve with the cattle we have.

Can I just say once more, RELEASE THE FRIDGE DAMMIT!!!!

I like Lynchy, you know he tries hard for the team. I feel FF is his best spot. I would be happy, if he consistently kept scoring 55 goals for us in a season. Then the thing is we need our CHF to back it up too, I hope and pray Kennedy also gives us 30-40 goals. From there McKinley + LeCras could score 70-80 in between them and Wirra with about 30.

That would be 185-205 goals from our forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO lynchys getting off easy here. I think hes just as bad as Hansen.

It only seems that way because he's been having to come right out of the 50m to get the ball. And the reason that is happening is because of Hansen. When hes had the ball hes done alright i reckon considering hes had no one to kick it to in the forward 50.

Three questions for people to ask themselves.

1: Which WCE players have either significtanly improved or remained at a consistently high level from two years ago?

2: Which WCE players would you legitimately call a top level player?

3: Which players are significantly worse than they were two years ago?

My answers to those questions would be:

1: Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Waters
2: Cox, Glass, Kerr
3: Quite a few.

I think that would probably partly explain the problems we are having at the moment.

Shocking news everybody!
Body finds it hard to stay alive when it is missing it's heart and has suffered a severed right arm!

Seriously, no team would perform if you took two of their top 5 players out. Especially two recent brownlow medalists. They didnt win every game for us, but they were vital for our structure which worked. Our structure doesnt work right now, and we don't have the personel to excecute it any more. Quite simple really.

Lynch at least seems capable of taking a contested mark. Hansen doesn't.

Have the Eagles abandoned their man on man gameplan? Or are they players just not running hard defensively?

Three questions for people to ask themselves.

1: Which WCE players have either significtanly improved or remained at a consistently high level from two years ago?

2: Which WCE players would you legitimately call a top level player?

3: Which players are significantly worse than they were two years ago?

My answers to those questions would be:

1: Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Waters
2: Cox, Glass, Kerr
3: Quite a few.

I think that would probably partly explain the problems we are having at the moment.

1. Improved considerably or stayed ELITE from 2 years ago

Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Waters (just) - This is really bad. Ask any team and it will have at least 10 players. Except Melbourne, Carlton and maybe Richmond

2. Who you would consider ELITE

Cox, Glass and Kerr - Unlucky Priddis
Embley was pushing it 2 or 3 years ago

3. Players who have remained being average when they were talked up to improve and COULD IMO be used as trade bait

Hurn, Lynch, Hunter, Rosa, Staker, Armstrong

4. Players who have started to go downhill considerably and COULD be used as trade bait

Embley, Hansen, Fletcher, Wirra

5. Players I cant see improving but who will be around for a while longer

Stenglein, Braun

Lynch isn't working hard enough defensively. His kicking is fine and he is presenting well, and if he had the ball put out in front of him instead of over his head he'd have a few more goals to his name. He isn't crashing enough packs, nor is he chasing & tackling hard enough when the ball is loose.

its funny, if we had kicked a few more goals in that last qtr on saturday and won the game...none of this conversation would be taking place. 1-2 may look bad but theres still a long way to go. lets reserve judgement of who to sack/trade until the season actually ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast players being exposed in the absence of Judd and Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back