Game Day West Coast V Adelaide Friday March 3rd 4.40PM @ MRP

Remove this Banner Ad

More worried about McGovern and Barrass to be honest. The amount of times they end up with their bodies being completely exposed against opposing outnumbers in aerial contests (due to no fault of their own) isn't sustainable.

The way the back line is (not)functioning, it's becoming only a matter of time before one of them ends up with a collision injury that causes them to miss a sizeable part of the season.

We do have depth KPD`s not at their level but already developing with AFL experience in Edwards and Bazzo ..

Just finished watching the replay also. Concur with other comments - still too slow, need more pace. TK was invisible, Gaff was a liability, and Hurn should be in the twos. Cole did very little. Yeo didn't do much either - was expecting more.
Turnovers were woeful.
I don't understand why Hewitt is not getting more ground time.
We are light on for tall forwards and rucks, gawd I hope Nik Nat can be ready for Norths.

Even worse then you goose. The rise and rise of him since the move to the middle for the champs when he was AA capped showed how formidable he could be around the contest - and in a weak side.

He’s been on the sharp build since last year in becoming a contested beast, though you’d know this. With that and what we saw about how he’s come on again in that area it’s so weird you point out not once but twice that he is going to have to work on finding the footy more. Pretty sure that’s not what those that are actually in the know would list as a weakness of his at this point

Some of these guys are still pissed we didn`t take Phillipoo ..

Too many player's were in preservation mode. Ginbey, Jamo, Hunt,Gov, Petch and Barass the only players that had a crack. Barrass got crunched and was hurt but still throws himself into it after that. The sort of stuff that should inspire his teammates. I don't know how some of them can look him in the eye in the changerooms after the game. Mostly the seasoned players going through the motions

Barrass, next captain designate. 👍

I must say Port look to be in trouble as a team, they made us look ok. The Crows are emerging as a quality team which may put our performance into some sort of perspective. The Crows have a game that will stand up in finals.

The brigade that have expertly gauged from the preseason scratchies that:

A) Port must be shit and will struggle
B) The Crows are the real deal and might do some damage in finals
C) We stink and nothing has changed

….are wildly entertaining!

I think quite likely Port play finals this year. But, but what about the preseason games you say? Exactly, what about them! We also may just pip the Crows for a spot or two on the ladder come season’s end although I don’t think either of those sides play finals in 2023

Last edited:
Need the older heads

While the kids are still raw

Yes, just not all of them all the time.

There are 17 players 27 or over, all of whom are unlikely to feature in our next campaign. Doesn’t leave many spots for ‘development’.

Play say two-thirds of the oldies each week so as to really open up spots. (Plus get a really good look at who is/isn’t worth keeping.)

But will the MC have the courage? Or does the rebuild take a few years more than need be?

• Gaff was the 2022 version unfortunately. Based on form I don’t think he should be picked round 1 but I expect he will be. He looks slow and ineffectual- at least he was kept out of centre bounces but played on a wing he had no impact. Unless he improves rapidly it’s going to be a test of Simpson’s coaching to see if he has the minerals to drop him

What do you mean? Why wouldn't Simpson drop him? :think:

Are you suggesting he treats senior players differently and holds them to entirely different standards lacking accountability compared to other players?

First I'm hearing about this, please elaborate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The brigade that have expertly gauged from the preseason scratchies that:

A) Port must be s**t and will struggle
B) The Crows are the real deal and might do some damage in finals
C) We stink and nothing has changed

….are wildly entertaining!

I think quite likely Port play finals this year. But, but what about the preseason games you say? Exactly, what about them! We also may just pip the Crows for a spot or two on the ladder come season’s end although I don’t think either of those sides play finals in 2023
English and logic trouble you. Looks like translated into must be s**t. Lost to us did Port and fell apart playing the Dockers. They look to have shortcomings. In your words, are they s**t, matched Dockers for a half and outplayed us compeetely earely in the game - should have won if they could translated good play onto the score board.

Crows V us - it was a lower intensity practice game and we were belted by one one one defence across the ground, strong tackling and lost hopelessly at the contest. Crows do have strong key defenders and forwards and a hardworking midfield. Not a bad start. Extrapolate that to higher intensity game! They were quick, we were slow. We were mentally and physically defeated in 10 minutes. But all is good.

We are fitter but the Crows much fitter for footy. Discussed widely. Thats the onlyt decernable change so far, outside of draftting kids as all teams do.

Crows must be poor and we must be great. And Waterman is the next Carey. Do you moonlight with the Eagles spin department - they publically stated we are a top 8 team, thus any team that does us orer so completely must be ok.

We stink and nothing has changed - well all accepth the game plan is changing. There are at best only fleeting glimpses of this being executed. Hunt brings welcome run. Drafted kids have pace that will help. As a team we remain slow and have slow ponderous ball movement. What has not changed over thee years is that we can not win the contested footy enough.

Last edited:
Hopefully that dead cat bounce WCE_phil mentioned doesn’t occur.

Nothing will change if we see success in 2023 for mine.

My excitement will come from the watching the youngsters, once they are given the opportunity to play.

One thing certain in life.

Is change.

Players dont play forever and we have quite a few close to retirement.

Change is already here for the Eagles. We are about to see it.

Yes, just not all of them all the time.

There are 17 players 27 or over, all of whom are unlikely to feature in our next campaign. Doesn’t leave many spots for ‘development’.

Play say two-thirds of the oldies each week so as to really open up spots. (Plus get a really good look at who is/isn’t worth keeping.)

But will the MC have the courage? Or does the rebuild take a few years more than need be?

Simpson said before the first pre season game 16(or was it 18) of the side was pencilled in so leaves 6 not of the credits crew fighting for spots

Not even close.

You want melts, go check out the Port board Freo game.

Preseason melts, the sequel v Freo was better than the original, lol. They should be up there with the better teams but just...........aren't.
Think we would all be happy to death ride Port to a bottom 8 finish for the second year in a row. Another pick in the twenties would be nice

Think we would all be happy to death ride Port to a bottom 8 finish for the second year in a row. Another pick in the twenties would be nice
Aside from watching our younger players develop, this is honestly the thing I'm looking forward to the most. Long live Hinkley!

English and logic trouble you

compeetely earely

one one one defence

We are fitter but the Crows much fitter for footy

Thats the onlyt decernable [sic] change so far, outside of draftting kids.

publically

any team that does us orer

well all accepth

I made complete sense. Thanks for very incoherently solidifying that you are part of the brigade I mentioned. Again, it’s reductive to assume pre season games will be a decent predictor of season proper performances. Year on year the correlation between those is flimsy. Or is this your first pre season following AFL? As I said - thanks though, wildly entertaining!

Last edited:
English and logic trouble you. Looks like translated into must be s**t. Lost to us did Port and fell apart playing the Dockers. They look to have shortcomings. In your words, are they s**t, matched Dockers for a half and outplayed us compeetely earely in the game - should have won if they could translated good play onto the score board.

Crows V us - it was a lower intensity practice game and we were belted by one one one defence across the ground, strong tackling and lost hopelessly at the contest. Crows do have strong key defenders and forwards and a hardworking midfield. Not a bad start. Extrapolate that to higher intensity game! They were quick, we were slow. We were mentally and physically defeated in 10 minutes. But all is good.

We are fitter but the Crows much fitter for footy. Discussed widely. Thats the onlyt decernable change so far, outside of draftting kids as all teams do.

Crows must be poor and we must be great. And Waterman is the next Carey. Do you moonlight with the Eagles spin department - they publically stated we are a top 8 team, thus any team that does us orer so completely must be ok.

We stink and nothing has changed - well all accepth the game plan is changing. There are at best only fleeting glimpses of this being executed. Hunt brings welcome run. Drafted kids have pace that will help. As a team we remain slow and have slow ponderous ball movement. What has not changed over thee years is that we can not win the contested footy enough.
I've referred your response on to my 8 year-old in the hope he can throw some light on your creative writing efforts. Once he's deciphered the above, I should be in a better position to understand what the hell you're talking about.

I've referred your response on to my 8 year-old in the hope he can throw some light on your creative writing efforts. Once he's deciphered the above, I should be in a better position to understand what the hell you're talking about.
perhaps she can explainit to you - at least you are getting help. Ask her about 'cannot win a contast and havent for three years' - hard to then win a game'. Opposition are improving faster than we are.

Last edited:
Is Ashcroft another HBF hand-ball received stats padder like Daicos?

Yes I'm aware Daicos is a gun you dip s**t, it's called stirring. Get the * off my porch.

He has Mitchell qualities with his one two handball game.

Better not get too predictable at the highest level though. Smart defenders will know he is looking for that.

Is Ashcroft another HBF hand-ball received stats padder like Daicos?

Yes I'm aware Daicos is a gun you dip s**t, it's called stirring. Get the * off my porch.

He's a jet. People will accuse that he "pads" his stats as he ends up with a lot of one-two possessions, but he is one of the most natural outside accumulators I have seen in an exceptionally long time. Reminds me of Boomer Harvey in the way he can read play very early and get into position to receive and go.

One of Brisbane's main problems has been they have had no wings to complement McCluggage, which becomes obviously more problematic when McCluggage moves inside onball. Dunkley means McCluggage can stay on the wing and Ashcroft provides a ready-made piece that can slot in seamlessly onto the other. Their midfield is far better balanced going into this season as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day West Coast V Adelaide Friday March 3rd 4.40PM @ MRP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back