AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder of why Zippy Fish is such a big deal. Also a bunch of players in various top tens who aren't getting mentioned in the top 40 overall picks. It demonstrates how deep this draft is.

We'd really benefit from an increase to list sizes (as would a lot of teams with the draft as deep as you say).

It'll be a hard balancing act cause while there's a few likely delistings, we'll hopefully get a lot of players back but some of the injury replacements have certainly earnt another year.

Add the unfortunate question mark around SMac's health + not really knowing how well Hooker will come back given she'd already faded a bit in past seasons.

Really drives home that a few extra list spots might give players who deserve it and have development in them a chance, or retain some who will help the team be competitive now then might be moved on in future years, and still let us turn over a good amount of draft picks.

Lakay and Lyons both dropped, Hosking + Gibson in.

The ins need no explanation but interesting we're dropping 2 ruck options and leaving LWakfer solo against Wales (good ruck IMO). Maybe Cleaver to get a run in there?

Lakfer was good in the ruck round 1 which is the only game Lakay/Lyons haven't played imo, I quite like it.

True, Richmond were rucking Poppy Kelly though who I reckon is a level below Wales (not extremely to be fair).

Will be interesting for Lakfer's development, and if Lakay doesn't get her fitness right we'll eventually need this to become the norm, but can see her getting pushed around a bit this game in the contests.

Just came to the forums to talk about Scholz, has a younger sister Poppy coming through the draft that I reckon is worth looking at...
I think she was the difference last week, absolutely killed us in the ruck. I suspect its why Lakay and Lyon were dropped. They do not provide much except for the ruck, so if they are getting beaten there badly, there is little point having them in the side.

I think she was the difference last week, absolutely killed us in the ruck. I suspect its why Lakay and Lyon were dropped. They do not provide much except for the ruck, so if they are getting beaten there badly, there is little point having them in the side.

Our ruck situations a tricky one. I haven't lost hope with Lakay, she's the only one on our list with the potential to actually get on top of most rucks in the hitouts and at her best was decent at the general clearances/contest as well. She's also at that perfect age to be slightly older/more hardened than the midfield around her which is handy for a ruck.

But she needs to come back next preseason marathon fit. Is getting beaten around the ground and not able to play enough game time where she's worth it/not a Naitanui where that's ok.

Lakfer is currently the better option but think as she keeps developing she'd be such an elite 2nd ruck who could play forward, back, wing, wherever we needed her otherwise and be invaluable that way. Probably not going to be big or strong enough to be competitive as #1 all game against the top few in the league or the bigger stronger juniors coming through though. I'd definitely take her being one of the best 2nd ruck/versatility options in the league over an honest trier of a 1st ruck.

Lakay and Lyons both dropped, Hosking + Gibson in.

The ins need no explanation but interesting we're dropping 2 ruck options and leaving LWakfer solo against Wales (good ruck IMO). Maybe Cleaver to get a run in there?
Hawthorn are fast, and spread the field. We'll need to run a lot to have any chance, thus no Lakay and Lyons.

Against teams that play rugby, like Adelaide on narrow Norwood Oval, or Fremantle at Freo, three talls contesting pack marks might make sense, but anywhere with wings, the Hawks will just run rings around them. (those two grounds should be banned, they produce horrible games).

Will be interesting to see how we go against a faster team. I reckon we'll gets smashed in the midfield, which then puts our backs under huge pressure, because their forward line might be the best in the comp. Tough ask.

Makes some very valid and good points. :thumbsu:

Like a lot the vAFL do, its not done with the necessary input from those that are hands on at the coal face.

Rather all to often the important decisions are made by those who haven't played or managed teams, at that level, as they sit in their glass and chrome furnished Ivory Tower, siping their coffee of choice and dunking their favourite danish into the coffee, as they listen to the marketing departments latest brainstorming presentation, of ideas for revenue generation.

Thats the pitfalls of managing a football league as if it's an entertainment enterprise and not a sporting organisation.

But then again I might just be a cynical old fool, that cant think straight any more, as dementia can be be a real bitch.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW West Coast Womens 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back