Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

noone will stop them, just goes to show how good they are when they get all their players on the park. we forget how dominant there list was 3 years ago. they are clearly the best
no vaughan hockley, sam anson and winis imbi, erik stewart and dylan fry still in reserves. going to take a premiership team to beat the tigers this season. west are the only ones that can do it.

There not rumours Warhog and of course Hooker will tell you differently, I am not going to post it on here because that would bring me to the Rigs level and we all know how low that is!!!!!! I just wanted to get his opinion as he was quick to bring Jon Copping down, and now his mesiah has caught himself in the same boat.

Don't try and claim the moral high ground now Freak, you bring up the Copping rumour, then allude that Ransom might be involved in his own rumour, straight away suggesting to everyone reading that it is of a similar nature. So don't get all "I'm not lowering myself to Rig's level by saying what it is" when you actually did worse by bringing it up and giving no details at all, effectively opening the flood gates for speculation and gossip. You're just trying to bignote yourself while running down a third party's reputation, and that's pretty low. Grow up or shut up. This is a football thread, lets keep it that way.

Don't try and claim the moral high ground now Freak, you bring up the Copping rumour, then allude that Ransom might be involved in his own rumour, straight away suggesting to everyone reading that it is of a similar nature. So don't get all "I'm not lowering myself to Rig's level by saying what it is" when you actually did worse by bringing it up and giving no details at all, effectively opening the flood gates for speculation and gossip. You're just trying to bignote yourself while running down a third party's reputation, and that's pretty low. Grow up or shut up. This is a football thread, lets keep it that way.

Bloody Hell Little Footy Battler, that is one of the best spray's I have ever received. I liked it!!

no vaughan hockley, sam anson and winis imbi, erik stewart and dylan fry still in reserves. going to take a premiership team to beat the tigers this season. west are the only ones that can do it.
Young Jayden Stiles has a great set of hands. Beautiful one grab mark of the ball. South very disappointing as was the crowd. South cant be the second best side...West looked much better when they played the Tiges.

At the start of last year the VCFL went to a ranking system.

Currently, the leagues are ranked as;
1. Goulburn Valley
2. Ballarat
3. Ovens & Murray
4. Mornington Peninsula Nepean
5. Geelong
6. Bendigo
7. Hampden
8. Murray
9. Gippsland
10. Central Murray
11. Bellarine
12. Sunraysia
13. Wimmera
14. Yarra Valley
15. Western Border
16. Geelong District
17. North Central
18. Mallee
19. Horsham
20. Heathcote

At the start of last year the VCFL went to a ranking system.

Currently, the leagues are ranked as;
1. Goulburn Valley
2. Ballarat
3. Ovens & Murray
4. Mornington Peninsula Nepean
5. Geelong
6. Bendigo
7. Hampden
8. Murray
9. Gippsland
10. Central Murray
11. Bellarine
12. Sunraysia
13. Wimmera
14. Yarra Valley
15. Western Border
16. Geelong District
17. North Central
18. Mallee
19. Horsham
20. Heathcote

Wimmera smashed us at Melville Oval a few years back, so cant argue with there ranking.

WBFL at full strength is surely better than 15th , executive need to make a serious decision about Rep. footy, either make it compulsory or scrap it!! A joke none of the Hamilton Imports are playing, if they play in the league then they play Rep. footy, no arguements!!!!!

Remember when WBFL had great battles against Hampden, played in the draw at Portland, the best game of Rep footy i have ever seen.

Thoughts??????

Wimmera smashed us at Melville Oval a few years back, so cant argue with there ranking.

WBFL at full strength is surely better than 15th , executive need to make a serious decision about Rep. footy, either make it compulsory or scrap it!! A joke none of the Hamilton Imports are playing, if they play in the league then they play Rep. footy, no arguements!!!!!

Remember when WBFL had great battles against Hampden, played in the draw at Portland, the best game of Rep footy i have ever seen.

Thoughts??????

Clearly not a full side for Wimmera to smash us - the league is not as strong as wbfl

problem is that we(league) need to pay the players or at least give them an incentive to play. gone are the days of playing at the highest level for the pride of playing or just wanting to play against the best as the almighty dollar rules.

maybe they play it in the first 2 weeks of the year, when the weather is better and players are keen to play.

back in the rig`s day he would have played for a pie and a coke.

problem is that we(league) need to pay the players or at least give them an incentive to play. gone are the days of playing at the highest level for the pride of playing or just wanting to play against the best as the almighty dollar rules.

maybe they play it in the first 2 weeks of the year, when the weather is better and players are keen to play.

back in the rig`s day he would have played for a pie and a coke.

If the best players arent going to play then why play
it is just a chance for the bigwigs to feel important
when was the last true interleague team that was even remotely close to the best team? it would be back when wb was going up against hampden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the best players arent going to play then why play
it is just a chance for the bigwigs to feel important
when was the last true interleague team that was even remotely close to the best team? it would be back when wb was going up against hampden

Sadly society has changed and all your points are correct. I grew up wanting to wear the bottle green jumper against the WBFL or wear the Green Hampden Cap in cricket. I have one of each and they are prized possessions that will be passed on in time.

Representing your league just isn't cool anymore. It's an intrusion on our selfish lifestyles and one that most people do not understand.

It should be an honour to be selected and there should be no cost involved and no requirement to be paid.

I look at the district leagues. Every week I see bad players getting paid good money, when in days gone by they would be lucky to get a game in the seconds.

Just something we all have to deal with and remember the good times.

Captaincy for Interleague??? My guesses it will be

C - Brad Wilson
VC - Simon Berkfield

Have heard that Geelong districts gun Full Forward has pulled out, has kicked huge amount of goals so far in the league, not quiet sure of his name. Things are looking good for a WB victory, espescially playing on a big ground and what looks like a youngish quick side..

U18 Intra league sides
Vic
B Jason Cowland (C) Cameron Bacon (Ha) Brandon Currie (C)
HB Josh Dawson (I) Charlie Valance (Ha) Josh Slade (P)
C Roger Morris (He) Stephen Keiller (He) Ben Walker (P)
HF Joel Mirtschin (P) James huf (I) Trent Lenehan (I)
F Billy McNeil (Ha) Tim Meulendyks (I) Brodie Fishwick (P)
R Cameron Whyte (I) Andrew Pepper (I) Liam Gill (C)
INT Zane Wakely (P) Kane Millard (He) Jarred O'Brien (I) Charlie Zwar (H)

SA
B N.Seager (S) J,Jones (W) J.Bruhn (N)
HB M.Laube (W) S.Scoenfish (N) B.Chant (M)
C N.Lock (S) S.Phillips (E) G.Tucker (N)
HF T.Currie (N) J.Dowdy (S) D.Munn (N)
F C.Wehl (N) M.Dempsey (E) J.Pratt (M)
R J.Turner (E) J.Eldridge (E) J.Walker (M)
INT K.Badman (W) B.Miller (S) L.Morton (E) R Judd (W)

Should be a good game of football and with the WBFL allowing free entry before 12 a great chance to come early get in for free and support the WBFL U18 talent.
Game starts at 12:30 SA time.

On the issue of Senior interleague and having been involved in the U18s for 5 years now I think it is the younger generation that want to play and it's the older players who prefer/need that valuable week off to rest the bodies.
My suggestion would be to make it an U23 game, allowing the young players a chance to showcase themselves and compete against the other youngsters of other leagues.
My personal opinion would be to also restrict selection to homegrown players and leave the mercenaries to their money. If each league was forced to do this it would promote our local talent rather than largest cheque books.

U18 Intra league sides
Vic

SA

Should be a good opener. There's some good kids in there

U18 Intra league sides
Vic

SA

Should be a good game of football and with the WBFL allowing free entry before 12 a great chance to come early get in for free and support the WBFL U18 talent.
Game starts at 12:30 SA time.

On the issue of Senior interleague and having been involved in the U18s for 5 years now I think it is the younger generation that want to play and it's the older players who prefer/need that valuable week off to rest the bodies.
My suggestion would be to make it an U23 game, allowing the young players a chance to showcase themselves and compete against the other youngsters of other leagues.
My personal opinion would be to also restrict selection to homegrown players and leave the mercenaries to their money. If each league was forced to do this it would promote our local talent rather than largest cheque books.
Why stop there? why not make it under 25.5? oh wait maybe under25 and only players with brown hair and wear white boots? j/k
seriously though if the best players arent running around there is no point in playing. people keep on putting restrictions on interleague and it just waters it down. why not just keep playing the home and away season?
And by the way can you elaborate on this
my personal opinion would be to restrict selection to homegrown players and leave the mercenaries to their money. if EACH LEAGUE was forced to do this it would promote OUR local talent rather than largest cheque books.

Why stop there? why not make it under 25.5? oh wait maybe under25 and only players with brown hair and wear white boots? j/k
seriously though if the best players arent running around there is no point in playing. people keep on putting restrictions on interleague and it just waters it down. why not just keep playing the home and away season?
And by the way can you elaborate on this
my personal opinion would be to restrict selection to homegrown players and leave the mercenaries to their money. if EACH LEAGUE was forced to do this it would promote OUR local talent rather than largest cheque books.
U23 was to eliminate the unpredictability currently in the format. Some leagues manage to get all their best players to play (pretty rare I'm sure) but others can often have up to 10 of the best 'unavailable'. If the VCFL want to base Major league rankings on interleague then they need to iron out that unpredictability

My thoughts were to restrict it to the homegrown players therefore seeing which leagues produce their own great players rather than those they are able to bring in. However this would only work if the VCFL placed the restriction on every league that competes at interleague level.

Having played and coached in several leagues across victoria and NSW the interleague concept of ranking leagues has some major flaws.
Up the North end of the state where minor league clubs have budgets of around $100K, there is at least 1 sometimes 2 or 3 players on $1000 - $1500 usually ex AFL or VFL players running around. When you put them in an interleague side it makes them a very strong league, however a succesful interleague side made up of these mercenaries doesn't mean the league is better than the local major league that has depth through each of its clubs. I personally would rather see leagues ranked on their local talent.

I tend to agree with you though, in the current format and the lack of interest in interleague, and certainly travelling, from some of the better players it is hardly worth playing.

watch both games on Saturday and was disappointed in the under 18 to see that the bench players did not get much of a run for the SA side, was that due to rotation or the clubs they played for???

watch both games on Saturday and was disappointed in the under 18 to see that the bench players did not get much of a run for the SA side, was that due to rotation or the clubs they played for???

Think that is Bruce Lacey for you. Coach's to win. Was there any particular club that the sa boys were from? If so that is a bit sad on bruce's behalf. All in all thought it was a good day for the league

Think that is Bruce Lacey for you. Coach's to win. Was there any particular club that the sa boys were from? If so that is a bit sad on bruce's behalf. All in all thought it was a good day for the league

I'm all for helping kids develop and giving kids a chance to play football, but fair go on Bruce, it is representative footy, it is there to push and promote the elite in the age group. Club football is the appropriate avenue for giving everyone a fair and equal go and developing all players.

I'm all for helping kids develop and giving kids a chance to play football, but fair go on Bruce, it is representative footy, it is there to push and promote the elite in the age group. Club football is the appropriate avenue for giving everyone a fair and equal go and developing all players.

I agree in part at the top end but surely at this level there should be a undertaking to make sure every player gets a reasonable chance to show their wares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back