Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a joint working party between what's left of the WBFL, the Mid SE & KTNFL with SACF to determine what happens next.

Unfortunately this was always on the cards and as I pointed out many moons ago, the decision to deny Hamilton Imps a move always had the potential to backfire on the WBFL and it sure did.

Hopefully everything can e worked through and you might end up with a major and minor league out of what is there.[/quote

Imps most likely would not have been stronger to enough to compete long term especially financially. It seems something else has come out of the merger with melville oval getting a much needed makeover

It sounds like it will be a great result for footy in Hamilton and despite the coach dramas, they have actually ended up with a great result in the end.

While I'm hearing your concerns about Imps financially if they went on their own first, their was a fair bit of researsch to suggest they were going to be ok by heading south. We will never know if it would have worked or not. What we did know was that eventually there would be change and my info is the decision to knock Imps back was line ball and ultimately the VCFL got what they wanted. In effect the WBFL lit the bomb that blew themselves up.

It sounds like it will be a great result for footy in Hamilton and despite the coach dramas, they have actually ended up with a great result in the end.

While I'm hearing your concerns about Imps financially if they went on their own first, their was a fair bit of researsch to suggest they were going to be ok by heading south. We will never know if it would have worked or not. What we did know was that eventually there would be change and my info is the decision to knock Imps back was line ball and ultimately the VCFL got what they wanted. In effect the WBFL lit the bomb that blew themselves up.

I think everyone seems to be forgetting is the sacfl had an equal say where footy is heading...they were part of the review panel.

Heard Wbfl have been holding discussions with penola, any idea how that has been progressing

I heard the Sanfl are going to offer money to clubs to join the wbfl......you'd think the offer would have to be substantial to get clubs to switch leagues.
It looks like most clubs will be improvers this year except for east and maybe millicent.

I will be amazed if any club moves, it is one thing handing out cash on a one time basis quite another thing to continue to hand it out and that simply wont happen. WBFL is stuffed imo and wont be worth watching and that will drive what little support it has even further away. GF will be between North and South again imo, it is ridiculous when you can predict a GF winner before the start of the season.

I will be amazed if any club moves, it is one thing handing out cash on a one time basis quite another thing to continue to hand it out and that simply wont happen. WBFL is stuffed imo and wont be worth watching and that will drive what little support it has even further away. GF will be between North and South again imo, it is ridiculous when you can predict a GF winner before the start of the season.

I think the sacfl will stuff this up. Their lack of experience in conducting reviews means their policies are underdeveloped compared to that of the vcfl. For example the vcfl can enforce their recommendations while the sacfl cannot. There are 2 teams in this league whether it be reserves numbers or juniors will not survive, so when millicent and casterton decide to leave what happens to the mount teams???

I think the sacfl will stuff this up. Their lack of experience in conducting reviews means their policies are underdeveloped compared to that of the vcfl. For example the vcfl can enforce their recommendations while the sacfl cannot. There are 2 teams in this league whether it be reserves numbers or juniors will not survive, so when millicent and casterton decide to leave what happens to the mount teams???
They might even join the major league next door the MSEFL??
Going on what happened in the pre season cup they might even kull a few teams from the mount??

You cannot go on today's results. Agree on probably north and south will be teams to beat, but u will be surprised how competitive a west team could be, though they fielded a no one team. I still honestly think western borders best would beat mid South easts best. You imagine McConnell o Grady ransom Wilson Ryan wenman berkfield Duncan duldig Gascoyne etc on a big field I say good luck. Western border is still a good standard though it has dropped off considerably...

With an exception of a few players a wbfl vs mid se interleague match would be more or less wbfl footballers vs ex wbfl footballers.
There's a real problem with junior numbers in the kntfl so I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the bigger clubs reconsider their futures.

You cannot go on today's results. Agree on probably north and south will be teams to beat, but u will be surprised how competitive a west team could be, though they fielded a no one team. I still honestly think western borders best would beat mid South easts best. You imagine McConnell o Grady ransom Wilson Ryan wenman berkfield Duncan duldig Gascoyne etc on a big field I say good luck. Western border is still a good standard though it has dropped off considerably...

Western border is a good standard though it has dropped of significantly??
I think it has dropped of significantly and become a very poor standard i think crowds will be down as we will hate being bored to death by it!

Western border is a good standard though it has dropped of significantly??
I think it has dropped of significantly and become a very poor standard i think crowds will be down as we will hate being bored to death by it!
It is still a better standard then mid south east by a long shot. And you wanna call them a major league? The way I look at it is a lot of 2nd tier wbfl players head to the mid south east cas they want the easy option of training and trying to make a quick buck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day lads any thoughts about naracoorte possibly entering the wbfl next season? We've competed pretty well against north and south gambier in trial games and I think we play a brand of footy that would sit pretty well in the wbfl. I think we have a side fairly similar to south gambier. Our jumpers clash with west gambier....surely they wouldnt mind a change?
Any thoughts????

Would you lose any players if you made the jump, eg players not wanting to player a higher standard?

I'm led to believe the Naracoorte hierarchy was not keen at all when the idea came up.

No they are not but I am led to believe the sanfl are preparing a case for us to join. I think as a club we at a pretty high standard and have been for a while (apart from last year)
I wouldn't exactly call the kntfl a low standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back