Western Border Football League - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have missed my point, and that is they are being paid by the SEFUL to umpire so that makes them official umpires of the league so they should then be able to be sent to any game not just Millicent games the same as any umpire is. The second point is if they are club, yes there is such a thing as club umpires and they are used by the home club when the umpires panel are short of umpires.Then they should not be paid by the SEFUL and the opposition side should be informed of such as is done by the Victorian Panel. That is my point I am not against them umpiring but at least be up front of what they are official or club umpires. And one last point it is interesting to see you say you are happy to have them every week doing the reserves as they are helping the league, but I did note that your club was on it`s high horse when a umpire did your senior games for three weeks in a row and stating that they should not being more the two in a row. What has changed your mine now
For gods sake man, it's only reserves footy... you obviously have a passion for 'b' grade football umpiring matters..I can see in the future that one day all clubs will have to supply umps for the early games..sad but true.

A week is a long time in footy. Heywood bounce back against arch rival Portland and South come back to earth. West and Millicent going along nicely.

Hows did marcus england get in the best let alone 2nd best on the weekend for portland? i mean he is a gun player but was held very quite on the weekend!!!

Hows did marcus england get in the best let alone 2nd best on the weekend for portland? i mean he is a gun player but was held very quite on the weekend!!!

Agree with that. I thought England got a bit of the ball still, but well below his usual impact and more importantly was very limited in the amount of clearances he won. I think some clubs tend to pick certain players in their best before the game has even started. Portland has a history of it. Most of them are great players that are the montys to be picked, but even great players have off days.
Given results of this weekend will match of the round be at Heywood again next week, against West? Former coach Hooker Ransom coaching at his old ground against the Lions for the first time, both sides up and about. Or will Heywood be emotionally drained from Saturday's win and go in flat?

Jarrod Ryan had a pretty good return on the weekend, held a lot better in the last quarter tho.
Johns also looked a bit stiff for most of the game out there....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened in the Millicent v North game? Only watching from afar (sporting pulse results really) I expected it to be a tight contest, not a 100 point blowout in North's favour.

It has been coming for a couple of weeks. They played a shocker against west, west was good, brilliant midfield, but Millicent on previous form should have had no trouble there 11pts (?) in it. Then the imps game yes a win and so it should have been, top against bottom, but ugly, ugly football. Imps lost it Millicent didn't win it and should have buried them as the reserves did .So they turn up at North with this psychological handicap, no self belief, no toughness, sloths in footy boots (and where did that come from they were top for God's sake!) and the result was posted before the ball was bounced. There are some players putting in but not enough lately to worry anyone except Imps. Deany has got a tough job, physical fitness you can do something about and he has them fit but mental fitness well as I say tough. Still if anyone can do it Deany can.

After having 10 rounds to have a look at all of the sides I'm interested who you guys rate as the most valuable players in the competition. If all 10 sides were starting from scratch and re-selecting their teams from the pool of players in the league, what do you reckon the order of the draft would be? Any cyber experts interested in a mock draft reply and I'll set one up. Should be interesting to see who rates where.

After having 10 rounds to have a look at all of the sides I'm interested who you guys rate as the most valuable players in the competition. If all 10 sides were starting from scratch and re-selecting their teams from the pool of players in the league, what do you reckon the order of the draft would be? Any cyber experts interested in a mock draft reply and I'll set one up. Should be interesting to see who rates where.

1. J. McConnell (Midfielder)
2. C. Johns (Forward)
3. M. England (Midfielder)
4. A. Kurzman (Midfielder)
5. M. Michael (Backman)

???

It has been coming for a couple of weeks. They played a shocker against west, west was good, brilliant midfield, but Millicent on previous form should have had no trouble there 11pts (?) in it. Then the imps game yes a win and so it should have been, top against bottom, but ugly, ugly football. Imps lost it Millicent didn't win it and should have buried them as the reserves did .So they turn up at North with this psychological handicap, no self belief, no toughness, sloths in footy boots (and where did that come from they were top for God's sake!) and the result was posted before the ball was bounced. There are some players putting in but not enough lately to worry anyone except Imps. Deany has got a tough job, physical fitness you can do something about and he has them fit but mental fitness well as I say tough. Still if anyone can do it Deany can.
How did you rate the umpiring, i only seen the first half and it was terrible.
McConnell could do anything and get away with it and Millicent got hammered and the kid that got sent off for a tackle, well that was just outright stupid E grade umpiring

1. J Ryan (Forward)
2. C Johns (forward)
3. J McConnell (Midfielder)
4. T Holmes (Midfielder)
5. B Smith (Ruck)
6. M Michael (Defender)
7. J Copping (Midfielder)

Totally agree they have been playing terrible football for some time and it was always on the cards. If they had been playing anyone apart from Imps 2 weeksago they would of been killed. Very very ordinary display and have been ordinary for a month.

Getting absolutely murdered in the centre square. West tore them a new one, so did Imps and against North it was just highly embarassing. I have wondered why Rehn and Tilley havent played as much on the ball over the past few weeks. Some times its like a midget farm in th centre square. Most weeks Haggett and Gascoyne are winning the majority of taps but it doesnt matter as the opposition have been taking it away time and time again.

The forward line is a worry as well. If Murray doesnt kick a bag they just dont look like it. They need a lift across the board thats for sure.

Any word on if Hosking will be back this year? He may be old and slow know but Billy Nitschke being back wouldnt hurt either.

How did you rate the umpiring, i only seen the first half and it was terrible.
McConnell could do anything and get away with it and Millicent got hammered and the kid that got sent off for a tackle, well that was just outright stupid E grade umpiring

The first half was without a doubt the single worst umpiring display I have ever seen in any sport, was so bad that North and Millicent supporters a like were saying it was a disgrace and blantanty biased.

The first quarter was a farce. Would of been at least 20 free kicks to Millicent about 2. Including a great free kick where one of the Millicent guys had his head over the ball, got smashed in the head and got the free kick paid against him.

It wasnt just some of the decisions. It was the fact that one Umpire in particular took at least 20 seconds to pay a decision. It was like he was processing what had just happened and whether or not he should pay a free. By time he blew his whistle that play was over. Was the reason Sullivan got sent off, didnt pay a decision so they went on with the play, decides something 20 seconds before warrants a free kick adds to that what happened after = sending off.

And McConell... well what can I say may as well of been umpiring the game really. Every time he called for a free he got it. Unsure what needs to happen for a holding the ball decision against him as well.

That being said Millicent were a disgrace on the weekend. No matter how bad the umpiring their display was worse.

What happened in the Millicent v North game? Only watching from afar (sporting pulse results really) I expected it to be a tight contest, not a 100 point blowout in North's favour.

North in my estimation will play off in the grand final when they are playing well they are equal if not better than most. Possibly south or west will get there the rest are also rans:eek:

It'd be nice if North can finally break their premiership curse, well IMO anyway.

I played in 2 losing and 1 drawn grandfinal through colts and U18s with them when I lived in the Mt, and know they've lost a few senior GFs since then with many of the guys I played with in those senior teams (Flett, Nulty, Norman, Chapman, guys from that age bracket). 1989 seems a very long time ago now.

North in my estimation will play off in the grand final when they are playing well they are equal if not better than most. Possibly south or west will get there the rest are also rans:eek:

Certainly seems that the top 3 will fight it out for a spot in the grand final at least on current form. The way West have been travelling they would nearly have to be favourites to be playing in the Grand Final, and I still think South are the best team I have seen this season but North have improved thats for ssure. They played well on the weekend, but didnt have much opposition.

Im not prepared to say its only a race between the three though. Still a lot of football to be played and a lot can happen over the next 8 weeks injuries form etc. I mean there are only 3 games between top and 7th. A few bad weeks of form and even the Top 3 could just about be on the outside looking in.

I still think Portland have the side and talent, that if they were to click could beat anyone in the league. Heywood may not have the depth of talent, but when you have a forward such as Courtney Johns you are always half a chance against anyone. If Millicent can rediscover their early season form then they cant be written off either. So to call the rest of the field also rans at this stage is extremely short sighted.

Certainly seems that the top 3 will fight it out for a spot in the grand final at least on current form. The way West have been travelling they would nearly have to be favourites to be playing in the Grand Final, and I still think South are the best team I have seen this season but North have improved thats for ssure. They played well on the weekend, but didnt have much opposition.

Im not prepared to say its only a race between the three though. Still a lot of football to be played and a lot can happen over the next 8 weeks injuries form etc. I mean there are only 3 games between top and 7th. A few bad weeks of form and even the Top 3 could just about be on the outside looking in.

I still think Portland have the side and talent, that if they were to click could beat anyone in the league. Heywood may not have the depth of talent, but when you have a forward such as Courtney Johns you are always half a chance against anyone. If Millicent can rediscover their early season form then they cant be written off either. So to call the rest of the field also rans at this stage is extremely short sighted.
To early to call who will play in the GF. All the top six sides have played well at one time or another. West at this stage seem to be setting the pace. But I wouldn't write off Heywood just yet will only take all their big guns to fire at once with the backing of some good local players and Portland have up to eight of their best players out at the moment. Whether they all get back is another matter. Injuries could well play a role come finals time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back