Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

What do they require then ? Magic ? Pick upe like Harmes/Bramble ain't going to fix it....
Harmes is midfield depth. Neither was brought in intending to fix our problems but provide areas of depth, which has paid off in the case of Bramble as Johannisen has been injured for a majority of the season.

Just my opinion, but the biggest holes on our list right now are a decent pressure small forward (Weightman is not this, and West whilst good, is still going to be a midfielder long term), a good shut down key defender - Jones is still more of an inteceptor, which is what Lobb has shown to be and finally probably upgrading Caleb Poulter on the wing. But no list is ever perfect, there will be deficiencies somewhere and always room for improvement.

This year, as well as previous years, I don't think we lost games because of talent on the list - far less on field talented lists have seen success. The issue is more mindset and getting up for games on a consistent basis, which I think comes from coaching, leadership and maturity. We didn't lose to West Coast at the end of last year because we were less talented than them, ditto Adelaide yesterday. I think this year has been a reasonable step in the right direction, although we do find ourselves in a similar place on the ladder, we are +1 win ahead of this time last year, and a considerable amount of percentage.

Lol noone in their right mind trades a key forward to bring in outside mids and small forwards. You're also acting like we won't get good picks for Bailey Smith, and have a 2025 1st. You're also acting like these positions actually need good pics to bring in...

You're clueless!

Darcy too good to waste as a 2nd ruck

I think you fans seriously underestimate him. He is the best young KP aroumd. You dont put a Ferrari in the ruck like that.
Is it really a waste though? I've really liked what I've seen of Darcy around the contest when he's in the ruck. He's a good tap ruckman, tackles hard, marks the ball around the ground and is a great field kick.

One could argue that his current role is what he may be long term. A 60/40 split between ruck and forward impacting the game up the ground.

Is it really a waste though? I've really liked what I've seen of Darcy around the contest when he's in the ruck. He's a good tap ruckman, tackles hard, marks the ball around the ground and is a great field kick.

One could argue that his current role is what he may be long term. A 60/40 split between ruck and forward impacting the game up the ground.
Thats crazy to me. Darcy is the future Coleman medalist in waiting as a forward once his kicking is sorted. For some reason Doggies fans think he just going to sit in the forward pocket on 700k a year playing 50/50 split. I mean someones giving this guy 1.x mill a year and playing him at FF if you wont

Thats crazy to me. Darcy is the future Coleman medalist in waiting as a forward once his kicking is sorted. For some reason Doggies fans think he just going to sit in the forward pocket on 700k a year playing 50/50 split. I mean someones giving this guy 1.x mill a year and playing him at FF if you wont
"Once he gets his kicking sorted."

Before last round he'd kicked 27.16 for the year.... You clearly don't watch us play

28 goals 21 is a bad accuracy. Hogan has 61,19 , Waterman has 49,21, Ben King has 52,25 . He needs to get at thar level he is unlikely to get 60 goals 45 behinds for example
This is Sam Darcys first proper season. In which he has played more than 4 games. By proper season, I mean at least someone who has played at least 15 or more games (2/3 the season). Only managed 4 last season due to injuries.

You realize Hawkins was hardly much better in his first 5 seasons. Took his 6th year to significantly improve accuracy wise. And he only kicked more than 30 goals once in his first 5 seasons. Darcy is on track to hit 30 in this first full injury free season.

Waterman was 13-12 in his first real AFL season. And it has taken 7 years for him to finally kick rather accurately, and let alone more than 20 goals in a season. King was 17-9 in his first proper season, and then he kicked 25-20 the year after. Curnow 20.12 in his first season of more than 15 games. Curnow is still so and so accuracy wise, minus last season (2023) which appears to be a career outlier. McKay was 26.30 in his first season playing over 15 games. Etc

Hogan is an outlier who has always been accurate.

Point is, you're comparing players who are into their 5th or 7th seasons, to Darcy who only playing his first real season. And has played dozens of games less than the players listed. I think he is tracking okay at the same stage of his career. Also his 28.21 was 27.16 the week before that, you're letting an outlier game muddle up the rest of it. If you want to compare players, compare them to simular stages of their careers, not guys who were hardly much better or worse at the same stage, and are many games and years ahead of Darcy now.

Lobb is way too old to have 4 years left and no club will give him that sort of deal plus he will have to take a cash haircut if he moves.
He started his AFL journey late so there's a chance he does play into his mid 30s. Ben Hudson-like

One more KPD and a pressure forward/goal sneak.

Jow Berry in the draft could be a chance.
We had a good go at Lachie Schultz last year so our list manager agrees with you.
We're out of the running for Barrass but at least have JOD/Busslinger waiting in the wings. JOD could play this week and Buss is close to a debut and will be ready after a pre-season.

I'd be happy enough to keep hitting the draft though and think we also need a lockdown small defender as we'll only get one more year out of Duryea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The James Harmes decision was wrong because he was out for half the season so his match fitness wasn't there but that's on the selection committee.

That said dogs lost the finals because they couldn't keep up with the pace of the hawks. Bevo has been trying to turn the list over to combat this. It is likely older players like Macrae and Daniel will not be extended beyond their current contract.

The James Harmes decision was wrong because he was out for half the season so his match fitness wasn't there but that's on the selection committee.

That said dogs lost the finals because they couldn't keep up with the pace of the hawks. Bevo has been trying to turn the list over to combat this. It is likely older players like Macrae and Daniel will not be extended beyond their current contract.

Their contracts are terrible.

My knowledgable ass is here to save the day. Doggies should be looking to have the biggest off season in AFL history. So many moves to make to get them back on track

• One of Naughton/JUH has to go so Darcy cam own the forward line. Id 100% look to move one of them on to the Demons and be in Petraccas ear to get him over
  • With a extra spot for a tall down forward who isnt necessarily required to command the ball im putting Tim English up forward. In a way this isnt ideal. They should have let him go to the Eagles but gotta work with what you have
  • Ivan Soldo in from Port. He isnt A grade but he is dirt cheap and will ruck better around the ground
  • Rosas from Gold Coast. Make it happen
  • Jack Macrae off to GWS. Id be all over Peatling as a tackling mid. Bevo keeps going on about wanting more defensive pressure in the midfield. Peatling can be that guy
  • Garcia in the best 22
  • Bailey Williams back to HB and Sanders in
  • Bussliger moved on. Lobb taken his spot. Too much depth. Get in John Nobles ear and try to organise some more run

FB: Freijah, Jones, O'Donnell
HB: Williams, Lobb, Dale
C: Sanders, Bontempelli, Richards
HF: Petracca, Darcy, Weightman
FF: English, Naughton/JUH. Rosas
R: Soldo, Treloar, Libba
I/C: Garcia, Peatling , Daniel, Noble

More run of HB to help Dale. A superstar like Petracca. Him and Bont will be a force to reckon with. Sanders to be trusted with some role. A true crumber like Rosas. A physical ruck with English going in against the oppositions 2nd choice ruck to give them a run around. Weightman up the ground more to give a marking target

Top 4 guaranteed and premiership favourites

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Western Bulldogs 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back