Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Longest kick ever at the Whitten Oval I saw was Matthew Campbell from the Brisbane Bears.

Centre Wing, members side kicking towards the Geelong road end, nailed a torpedoe with the wind. Its the longest kick I have ever seen live or on tv.

Anyone else remember it. I tried looking for it on you tube. Would love to see it again.

It would outpoint Glendinning's? Am I right in thinking Glendinning's is the true Doug Hawkins wing position (where the placard was placed)?

It would outpoint Glendinning's? Am I right in thinking Glendinning's is the true Doug Hawkins wing position (where the placard was placed)?
I think it's slightly forward of true centre, however the angle of the camera is making it look like it's behind centre IMO

I think Glendinning's is in line with corner of the square yet out of the wing, still a massive kick as Whitten Oval was long between the 50 metre when introduced and the square.

My memory of Campbell's was a slight bit forward of centre wing members, torp, massive wind to the Geelong rd end.

I think Glendinning's is in line with corner of the square yet out of the wing, still a massive kick as Whitten Oval was long between the 50 metre when introduced and the square.

My memory of Campbell's was a slight bit forward of centre wing members, torp, massive wind to the Geelong rd end.
Ben Graham launched one after a point and while he had a 10m head start it cleared the wing

Whitten Oval used to be 201yds long (182m) when it was an AFL ground. Longest in the league. MCG was only 189 yds by comparison. They've probably changed it these days - I imagine it's a bit shorter.

So any kick from near the wing to the goal line would have been a monster, wind or no wind. I recall EJ booting one at the Geelong Rd end that must have gone 70-80m.

Bring back the torp! The only kick I ever truly mastered* ... apart from the mongrel punt of course. :p

* I even mastered the right to left swing which could be prodigious.

Whitten Oval used to be 201yds long (182m) when it was an AFL ground. Longest in the league. MCG was only 189 yds by comparison. They've probably changed it these days - I imagine it's a bit shorter.

So any kick from near the wing to the goal line would have been a monster, wind or no wind. I recall EJ booting one at the Geelong Rd end that must have gone 70-80m.

Bring back the torp! The only kick I ever truly mastered* ... apart from the mongrel punt of course. :p

* I even mastered the right to left swing which could be prodigious.
Today, Whitten Oval is 159m long (playing size) which is the same as Marvel Stadium. It is only 121m wide compared to Marvel's 129m.

The only time I can remember being shocked by a kick at WO was a kick by Richard Osborne against WCE in 1994 or 95 (he kicked a few on the day). He was inside the centre square right near the corner of the square, on the right flank kicking to the Geelong road end. I can still hear the thud of the connection, the ball went ridiculously high and floated on the wind, eventually hitting the goal post near the top.

Ozzie was an amazing talent.

The only time I can remember being shocked by a kick at WO was a kick by Richard Osborne against WCE in 1994 or 95 (he kicked a few on the day). He was inside the centre square right near the corner of the square, on the right flank kicking to the Geelong road end. I can still hear the thud of the connection, the ball went ridiculously high and floated on the wind, eventually hitting the goal post near the top.

He could seriously kick a footy. I dare say Bernie Quinlan would have roosted a few there as well.

I also remember a game at WO, I think in '95 when an opposition defender booted the ball out from the Geelong Rd end. Osborne was between CHF and the flank on the members' side, so about 40 metres out. Osborne launched himself at the ball before it hit the ground, kicked it on the volley and it sailed through for a sausage. Unbelievable goal.

About 10 years later I was at a wedding where Richard also attended. I reminded him of that kick and he told me to tell his mates, but include that he was kicking against a howling wind and that the ball was completely water-logged!

My memories aren’t the significant moments but more the odd moments.

I remember being a young kid of about 10 years old heading out there with my dad. he would let me roam when the game was finished and I would join the marauding group of abandoned kids exploring around the ground whilst their dads drank beer in the social club. I remember hanging around the scoreboard and finding a way in which was a highlight and finding all the team names and scoreboard numbers.
There was a dusty dirt hill behind the scoreboard and I remember there being big palm trees planted there which always struck me as odd. I also remember climbing up the ladder to the coaches box on the outer side. The ladder was covered in a cage and barbed wire. Most Saturday afternoons exploring the ground would stretch into the night and eventually my dad would emerge from the Social club, yell my name across the ground and I’d come scampering back out of the darkness and we’d drive home with my dad taking all the back streets to avoid the cops.

The really odd memory was being at the ground in the late 80’s / early 90’s when the club was having a multicultural day. there was hardly anyone there and it was shitty Melbourne weather - cold and drizzle. Before the game they had 4 small stages set up around the ground and had performers dancing etc... I remember watching some exotic scantily clad dancers performing (they might have been from India or Pakistan). I think the main performance was in the centre of the ground and CDB performed. Does anyone else remember that day?
It was weird, but good on the club for making an effort to bring a bit of culture to the Western Oval and letting a young boy see some scantily clad women dance in the freezing cold drizzle.

Love those memories

Another memory was the sea of ice that would be left to melt on the terracing as the crowd was leaving the ground. This was prior to 1982 when the 2 can opened limit was introduced.

So up to the end of 1981 the eskys would be emptied of their ice and all you could see was the emptied tinnies and ice strewn all over the crushed rock.

Just think about it if that poor bloke at the Carlton v Fitzroy game of 1982 hadn't been beaten to death just leaving a football ground, perhaps esky's with grog would still be allowed in.Then probably not
Can anyone elaborate on the supporter getting beaten to death in 1982? I’ve never heard that story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of stuff here I recall.

Its probably rather an odd memory but the smell of the place on game day was amazing. Never been a smoker but the mix of different tobacco smells, hot pies, donuts and beer wafting through the air was a delight. Fan favorite of the time must have been Winnie Reds and I will sometimes smell it walking through the city and it takes me back. Footy doesnt smell the same.

One game I remember was a comeback against Freo? around 1994 /95. May have been the game Leon mentioned above with Jason Watts. We looked gone, many had started to leave down the Barkly St exit, Dogs kicked two or three in a few mins to get back into the match. Early leavers heard the crowd roar and started to make their way back in like a wave through the open gates.

Lastly, Glenn Coleman knocking over the point post and the officials bringing out the Little League goal to take its place until the break when it could be repaired.

Where did everyone sit or stand at the Whitten Oval?

I was lucky enough to watch some games from the Whitten Stand in the early 90’s.

When we stood we were generally on the half forward line of the Doug Hawkins Wing towards the Barkly Street End.

Another memory:

The first game in Round 1 in 1990 after the fight back, playing St Kilda.

We got thrashed and Plugger kicked about 8 or 9, but the atmosphere beforehand was incredible, very emotional.

Also notable for being one Chris Grant’s debut, he kicked a few from memory and went on to kick 50 in his debut season, think he is still the only debutant to achieve that?

I was lucky enough to watch some games from the Whitten Stand in the early 90’s.

When we stood we were generally on the half forward line of the Doug Hawkins Wing towards the Barkly Street End.

About where the man with the white jumper turning his head is :D

1623298767413.png

Another memory was the Hyde Street Band at half time and the tarp for collections. Remember getting hit in the head by errant 2 bob donation being tossed.

The old dad joke. Who played on the Wing at the Whitten Oval for years and never got a kick. The Hyde Street Band.

Was there an older fella who walked around the ground selling Peanuts?

From memory he followed the Hyde Street Band and kept yelling " Peanuts" and he had a white sack carrying the peanuts?

Played two GF's on Western Oval in the one season (the first a draw) for Parkside U16's. The main thing I remember when playing deep in the backline was just how far it seemed to the other end of the ground. The ball would take ages to get from one end to the other and you could quite literally have long conversations with your opponent while the ball was down the other end. We lost the replay.

Was there an older fella who walked around the ground selling Peanuts?

From memory he followed the Hyde Street Band and kept yelling " Peanuts" and he had a white sack carrying the peanuts?

Yes a big man with arms like tree trunks

Very good peanuts from memory :)

The Peanut Man's story is a fascinating read which brings back many great memories. Here's the link to his story:

The first match I saw in 1976 we stood to the left of the visiting team's race. I did that for a year or two. Next I sat in the Whitten Stand when seats were free. I moved over to the top step of the scoreboard goals in line with the lefthand point post. (I remember that place distinctly because that's where I witnessed Simon Beasley's great mark and goal against Collingwood.) I had a few other different seats during the years. I was right up in the John Gent Stand, below it a year or two and behind the visiting team seats in the Whitten Stand about six rows up for most of my years.

I've posted this pic before. My mum and dad standing in the Whitten Stand at the game we went to in May 1979 during their first visit to Australia. My mum was amazed at how some older women around us could knit and barrack loudly at the same time during the match. My dad told me that he didn't understand some of the umpiring decisions. LOL He was hooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back