Western Region FL - Division One - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not coaching mate, got involved originally at Albion through a mate of mine Steve Stavalas who didn't have the time to do it himself and I'm in the same boat now. Thoroughly enjoyed my involvement though and will certainly be around the club next year supporting.

Name your price next time you do decide to coach.

Well done on the premiership. Don't think i have ever seen a turn around like that from mid season in the wrfl. Amazing. You will be regarded very highly forever at Albion i am sure.

How is the old war horse Johnny Haldane doing. Legend of a guy.

Agree with the call on Finco for rookie of the year. He looked at home as a senior footballer from the first moment he stepped out against Hoppers. He did some freakish things that day and has continued to do them since.

Players like him and Sam Stephens probably should consider giving footy a crack at a higher level but Albion will no doubt be hoping they can keep them. Finco has a sh*tload of ability. I guess Stephens had a crack at the Jets, and did well until he went back to Albion.

Keegan Powell from Sunshine went the whole season under rated, but internally we were rapt. Joe Hedditch also worthy of a mention.

As I said I think it is right! (The team)

Harro - I think you took my comment on Brad Hewitt the wrong way, I witnessed his first game in the magoos and he would have had 50 possesions easily which had me scratching my head. I coached him many years ago and am a big wrap that is all. Again congrats but I think if you look at my posts I was one of only a couple that thought you could win based on the balance of Albion v the depth of Spotty:thumbsu:

Still wondering why you blokes are sober enough to post after seeing Gibbo yesterday???

You mean Hewat?? Sounds like you know him really well. He had a knee op - he was just testing his knee.

I can confirm that I will be taking on the job next year and have already started....

Looking forward to the challenge of being a senior coach and am sure that with the support of the Spotswood football club that we will put our best foot forward next year.

Any plans on a clean out yet , if so Molan and Jensen seem to struggle in A1 these day's espically against the better teams.

Been told that Jenkins won the medal by 1 vote from Julier

Jenkins I can cop as good player who would have got minor votes in losses and 3 or 2 in wins. Julier struggled against Mcghie and Philpott but probably did well against other teams even though they lost more games this year.

Votes for Spotty, Albion and Sunshine were probably spread accross many worthy players.

Lets see how long it takes to get all votes on the website !!

I can confirm that I will be taking on the job next year and have already started....

Looking forward to the challenge of being a senior coach and am sure that with the support of the Spotswood football club that we will put our best foot forward next year.

Sounds like you will be taking it one week at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins I can cop as good player who would have got minor votes in losses and 3 or 2 in wins. Julier struggled against Mcghie and Philpott but probably did well against other teams even though they lost more games this year.

Votes for Spotty, Albion and Sunshine were probably spread accross many worthy players.

not long cobber. they are already up there.

Congrats to Tim Jenkins, fine effort to win the medal and has had an outstanding year no doubt winning it on behalf of all us little blokes!!! ha ha

Worthy winner. I have been hearing mixed reports on where he will be playing next season. Have been told that Sunshine made a major play for him and he declined and decided to take up an even bigger offer from Greenvale. I have since been told that he has not signed anywhere and may be at St Albans again next year. Not sure if anyone can clear that up.
Also heard that St Albans have signed up Mckeracher and Schroder (both back from werribee).

Any one see the spray Phil O'keefe gave the jets on the wrfl web t.v show. Quality!

Yeah it was good wouldnt really say it was a spray though just stating facts

Sounds to me that firstly you are from Spotty and secondly you are having a go at Julier. The way i read it is you dont rate Julier as a good player. Has been the best big man in the comp since he arrived in 2006. By the length of the Flemington straight.

Sounds to me that firstly you are from Spotty and secondly you are having a go at Julier. The way i read it is you dont rate Julier as a good player. Has been the best big man in the comp since he arrived in 2006. By the length of the Flemington straight.

I think Thunderball was just stating the facts. You must be from Port Colts.

I've spoken to at least 2 of the last 5 Coaches of the Western Jets and they are adamant that the issue with the Western Jets all comes down to zoning.

Certainly very difficult to coach winning sides when you're talent pool is low.

2 of these coaches have been touted as candidates for AFL Head Coaching roles.

I've spoken to at least 2 of the last 5 Coaches of the Western Jets and they are adamant that the issue with the Western Jets all comes down to zoning.

Certainly very difficult to coach winning sides when you're talent pool is low.

2 of these coaches have been touted as candidates for AFL Head Coaching roles.

These coaches can only deal with the 'talent' that is identified by the recruiters and 'The Boss'.

To say that the players identified and playing are the best going around in the zoned leagues is rubbish. Some questions
1)Who are the recruiters, what are their credentials and how much say does 'The Boss' have in the identification of the talent?
2) How much of a player does a recruiter have to see before he can confidently put him up for an invite?
3) What emphasis is put on selection of rep squads? We all know that they can be a joke.
4)How active is the coach in seeing local games of footy at under 16 level and selecting players?
I would love to know whether these 2 coaches got to local games of footy and identified the talent for themselves or were they dealt a dud hand? If one of these coaches you speak of was quite the firey customer, then the answer to my question would be very few or none. Bit hard to brand the local talent as average when you are not getting a good representation of it. Whether these two blokes are up for head coaching roles or not is irrelevant, if they haven't been out there enough then they are relying on the word of faceless recruiters or the head honcho. If they haven't got the time, then they can't do the job properly.

Will be glad for someone to set me straight.

100% with you... I recall my brother making the squad about 10 years ago after he trained once... they were calling him at the last cut trying to encourage him to come down when clearly he didn't want to be there (and he would admit he probably wasn't good enough anyway)... they struggled to keep kids interested because they were selecting the wrong kids and sounded desperate... a lot that should be there go unnoticed unfortunately

The TAC clubs are instructed by the AFL to identify and develop certain types. These kids ate obviously the wiry, raw types who can possibly develop over a period and into the AFL system. Unfortuantly for the Jets the way they have coached and or identified this talent leaves alot to be desired. Success for a TAC club revolves around premierships and players drafted and the Jets are probably the worst of all at both. It can not be soley the juniors in
the area, the coaches and staff need to take responsibility! How can the next region over be so dominate and have so many players drafted? Surely the kids are not that much more naturally talented and athletic?

Anyone who has knowledge of the Cannons program will state how professional it is and how much care they take with the kids involved. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of cleanout from the AFL to get the program in order.

On another note the wheel is turning from athletes to footballers again, this will help recruiters at TAC level to identify the best footballers first then Athletes 2nd, will be a big winner for this region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back