Western Region FL - Division One - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can hardly use sandringham as a comparison as 70% of there kids play private school footy which takes priority over TAC Cup, they basically field there 2nd side for most of the year.

Does private school footy really take priority?? How many kids get drafted from private schools?? You may be right, but I can't see why it would take priority and all the good kids would be doing this. Surely they'd have a better chance getting to the AFL by playing at Sandy and being seen every week by AFL scouts

Does private school footy really take priority?? How many kids get drafted from private schools?? You may be right, but I can't see why it would take priority and all the good kids would be doing this. Surely they'd have a better chance getting to the AFL by playing at Sandy and being seen every week by AFL scouts

Right or wrong they simply don’t get a choice in the matter. It is a condition of their tenure at the school that they participate in APS/AGSV weekend sport. Judd, Ball, Goddard, Scully ………the list goes on and on. They all barely played a game of TAC football. You will find as many recruiters at an APS game as you would at a TAC game. TAC clubs such as the Dragons and Chargers are severely impacted by this but still need to provide opportunities for the kids from their area that go to ACC or public schools.

Plenty of kids in the bush travel hours to games every week, and there has never been a shortage on talent coming from rural Victoria.

In the west, things like drugs and becoming an emo suicidal alcoholic or train station thug are more appealing, especially when centerlink are lining these little chrome heads pockets.

Our school system is full of kids brought up by slack parents, this mentality rubs off on other kids and is seen as cool.
As long as the west Is full of drongo's, whores, drug addicts, commission housing, relaxed schooling and more centrelink offices than supermarkets, the number of kids excelling will be limited. We are all a product of our surroundings.

End of rant
Correction if I may - We are not all a product of our surroundings, we are in fact all a product of our upbringing.

Right or wrong they simply don’t get a choice in the matter. It is a condition of their tenure at the school that they participate in APS/AGSV weekend sport. Judd, Ball, Goddard, Scully ………the list goes on and on. They all barely played a game of TAC football. You will find as many recruiters at an APS game as you would at a TAC game. TAC clubs such as the Dragons and Chargers are severely impacted by this but still need to provide opportunities for the kids from their area that go to ACC or public schools.
Agree with you - school footy does take priority even over AFL (although this is no longer an issue as 17 year old can not be drafted). I recall the discussions that went on in '93 when Dustin Fletcher was a required player at PEGS. Essendon had to take a back seat on many occasions. The fact that his father was a teacher at PEGS made it easier for Essendon to win out on most occasions.
What you have to consider here are that a large number of elite sportspeople are offered scholarships to attend some of these elite schools. If they did not get priority over TAC, VFL or local footy then it would be a wated investment on behalf of the school - after all they are offering these kids an education for free in return for their sporting commitment for the length of their scholarship.

Correction if I may - We are not all a product of our surroundings, we are in fact all a product of our upbringing.

Funny I thought I was viewing the forum for WRFL division 1 yet I find myself reading philosophical views on human development. Correction if I may - we are in fact a product of our surroundings, upbringing as well as a plethora of many other environmental and genetic factors. WHO CARES!

Funny I thought I was viewing the forum for WRFL division 1 yet I find myself reading philosophical views on human development. Correction if I may - we are in fact a product of our surroundings, upbringing as well as a plethora of many other environmental and genetic factors. WHO CARES!

Agree on that part.

Must be some news floating around? Have all coaches been appointed? I am not 100% sure on the Colts job and obviously Albion is still to be decided. Any names floating around on a potential Albion coach?

Notable names drafted from both clubs:
Jets - Brad Johnson (not in Calder zone), Giansiracusa, Callan Ward, Houli, Prismall, Rischitelli, Scotland, Brad Miller
Pioneers - Selwood brothers, Dustin Martin, Sylvia, Andrew Walker, Dal Santo, Daniel Harris, Tarrant, Solomon

Pioneers seems to have the better list there.

Sandringham Dragons - Have finished last place 4 times (1992, 96,07, 09) won only once.
You know Brad Miller is from Queensland, right?

No it is brad miller, 2 brad millers were drafted in 01 draft, 1 went to melbourne(from qld) and 1 went to richmond via the rookie draft(from the jets) played a year as a rookie for coburg and gave it up and now plays for darley.

Bit of talk on the Div 2 thread on Sunshine so may as well get it over here...

what about Deluca, Brannan and Heffernan? Some pretty big names being linked to Sunshine. Did someomne at the club rob a bank?

Not sure about those names... maybe throw in ablett, judd and carey for good measure... whom ever your source of information is leading you up the garden path....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just passing on what was told to one of my players. Not much happening on here.

Well if you want a rumor (or fact) is it true that a certain ruckman from another WRFL A Grade club has signed with Heights. Jensen could be a handy pick up:thumbsu:

Barclay is interesting and the rob the bank philosophy may be needing a mirror!

Heard St.Albans may have signed former Parkside (and saints) forward Leigh Cooke. Any truth? May also be getting Aaron Ford back from NFL...

Jenno is a done deal at heights! Also alot of other movements around the league. How are Spotty going retaining players?

Just passing on what was told to one of my players. Not much happening on here.

Well if you want a rumor (or fact) is it true that a certain ruckman from another WRFL A Grade club has signed with Heights. Jensen could be a handy pick up:thumbsu:

Barclay is interesting and the rob the bank philosophy may be needing a mirror!

Can confirm that Jenno will be playing at Heights next season. Really happy to have him on board and great for the club to get a former junior back. The smaller ground at Ainsworth will really suit him and at 20 years of age his best footy is ahead of him.:thumbsu:

Can confirm that Jenno will be playing at Heights next season. Really happy to have him on board and great for the club to get a former junior back. The smaller ground at Ainsworth will really suit him and at 20 years of age his best footy is ahead of him.:thumbsu:

Good fella is Jenno, wish him all the best at heights. Don't try an contain him during pre-season GB50, he loves training:D:thumbsu:.

Less running the better obviously, your ground will certainly suit the big fella. All the best to him.

What's the point of this post? You know something so post it!
  • Spotty to increase match payments to seven figures
  • Spotty to change colours to green & brown
  • Spotty to ask for league investigation into how they did not win the flag. (Conspiracy theories)
  • Spotty to claim the West Gate Bridge as crown land
  • Spotty to cut it's ties with Williamstown FC
  • Spotty to expect nothing from the WRFL this year
  • Spotty to let the umpires, umpire games
  • Lastly (my favourite) Spotty to make a bronze statue of superstar Razor Jensen and unveil it Round 1#
I could keep going:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back