Western Region FL - Division One

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going on what I saw in the Div 2 GF and what I saw was a much better outfit than Heights. I saw heights play twice last year and believe they would be in a battle with Parkside and Deer Park for relegation. West and Glenordan will be walk overs this year for all teams. Agree about Bell, played in Strathmores glory years a few years back when they were the strongest of all local teams going around.

Alot easier to look better when in a lower division.

I have been reading this for a while and finally decided to contribute. I have been hearing alot aroud the traps about players coming and going so just thought i would put it out there for all to see, i might be off the mark on a few but have pretty good sources on alot of this. Some of it is already public knowledge so no ground breaking reports on some of it.

Colts - Not many on the way in, if your hanging your hat on Webb who is in his late 30's then could be some trouble. the outs are the killers and from strong reports going around the traps could be plenty jumping a sinking ship. Perkins, Jacobs x 2, Clarke, Brannan and word has it some VERY BIG NAMES could be on there way to the yellow bellies (can anyone confirm) if this is true could many more follow. Not looking great at Colts.

Well i know i have enjoyed laying the boots in at late, how ever from what i hear today, i will pull up.
The club is an absolute joke, doing enough damaged to themselves without my help.
7 weeks from the season proper and the colts has no President no reserves coach and now no senior coach in place.
Colts have rubbed it in our faces with their sustained success over along period of time, looks though it's all about to go pear shape very very quickly.
The people in charged that selected him as coach really have egg on their face, could of kept Clarke or replaced him with Jacobs!
Must be really pulling the recruits in, with no leadership in place.

Was there a crisis meeting with the players on Monday - with the club asking players to put forward names of potential coaches?

Was there a crisis meeting with the players on Monday - with the club asking players to put forward names of potential coaches?

From what I've been told and not sure how true this is, there is very strong word big Julier has all but signed at Sunshine if true this is massive news. Also news about another Colts Premier player to be looking at a move.

No matter what happens at Colt's they are a proud mob and I'm sure alot of people will come out of the woodwork to bandy around the club and keep it afloat.

Might be a couple of leen years ahead.

From what I've been told and not sure how true this is, there is very strong word big Julier has all but signed at Sunshine if true this is massive news. Also news about another Colts Premier player to be looking at a move.

No matter what happens at Colt's they are a proud mob and I'm sure alot of people will come out of the woodwork to bandy around the club and keep it afloat.

Might be a couple of leen years ahead.

I know a bloke that works with Brad. This bloke contacted me on Monday saying that Brad was after the phone number of the business that does our club Hoodies as he was looking at getting them for Colts. Doesnt sound like a bloke that is leaving the club to me but you never know.

I know a bloke that works with Brad. This bloke contacted me on Monday saying that Brad was after the phone number of the business that does our club Hoodies as he was looking at getting them for Colts. Doesnt sound like a bloke that is leaving the club to me but you never know.

Agree, after his name being thrown out there as possible coach you wouldn't think he would be leaving and you wouldn't think B.Jacobs would be going out of his way to steal players from his old club that he lead for so many years.

On the Hoodies, they are pretty good around winter time, Hoppers got them last year and look great. DEFT is the company that make them.

If the coaching saga at Colts is causing players to think about leaving it must be a massive dilemma. Some may stay and some may go.For what looked like such a tight bunch of blokes over the years, for the ones that leave, how would they feel playing against their old teammates that they had so much success with and even more difficult would be maybe inflicting defeat and possible lean times on their former club. Time will tell. Hopefully the Colts can work it out real quick.

Hoppers - Lattella, Murphy (back from injury), Merrifield back and word has it have a couple of recruits coming out of 2 very strong leagues.
Have lost some talent though, Thomas (apparently contracted so might not be going), Miles, Beazely and Taylor(retired). Time will tell if the players coming in will cover the players gone. Could be some tough times ahead.

our losses have been covered by our gains that is for sure new recruits will only compliment our team and with a whole new game plan things are are looking quite positive. has been a tough preseason and players look very fit. also got some u/18 kids coming through. i would say no tough times ahead we will be thereabouts come July / August.

Altona - Eames has got the place buzzing, Miles is a good pick up though has been known to play for himslef so could derail the good work done by Eames, word also has it a couple ex VFL players to head over to Viking land. Don't think anyone has left. So expect the young crew to push for finals.

Dont think this is the case mate.

Have been to a fair few Hoppers games over the years and the ones I have seen he is a team player.

I just dont think he was used properly.

Something tells me he will flourish at Altona.

Hoppers - Lattella, Murphy (back from injury), Merrifield back and word has it have a couple of recruits coming out of 2 very strong leagues.
Have lost some talent though, Thomas (apparently contracted so might not be going), Miles, Beazely and Taylor(retired). Time will tell if the players coming in will cover the players gone. Could be some tough times ahead.

Altona - Eames has got the place buzzing, Miles is a good pick up though has been known to play for himslef so could derail the good work done by Eames, word also has it a couple ex VFL players to head over to Viking land. Don't think anyone has left. So expect the young crew to push for finals.

Very well done, great wrap up of pre-season form of players and clubs. Good to see some actual decent footy discussion on this particular thread.

Don't subscribe to your theory of tough times ahead for the Warriors though. There has been some high profile departures of the players you mentioned, aswell as Koutzamanis and Downey. But the new recruits and returns you mentioned are more than handy replacements with Murphy and Merrifield big inclusions from injury and work respectively, and Chris Latella is a fitness freak looking very sharp this pre-season. Young Justin Chircop looks promising again this year as he matures and leads a good group of U/18's coming through.

The retirement of the old warrior Adam Taylor is a loss, but Jason Butty's performance in last years winning qualifying final against Spotswood showed he can be a very formiddable key backman and defender Chris Brierty is looking like one of the fittest down at Hogans Rd this pre-season. And as Danny said, Koutzamanis played majority of last season in the early game and with new blood coming through, the roll of small forward can be covered.

I'd also like to say the comments towards Reece Miles playing for himself and undoing Altona's good work are a little harsh. Milsey has been known to pump his own tyres from time to time, but he plays for the team and registered more handballs than the majority, possibly all, of the on-ballers for HC last season. He is a good team man and was apart of last seasons leadership group nominated by the players. Will be a massive pick up for Altona. Huge engine, ball magnet and kicks goals. Best of luck to him.

Very well done, great wrap up of pre-season form of players and clubs. Good to see some actual decent footy discussion on this particular thread.

Don't subscribe to your theory of tough times ahead for the Warriors though. There has been some high profile departures of the players you mentioned, aswell as Koutzamanis and Downey. But the new recruits and returns you mentioned are more than handy replacements with Murphy and Merrifield big inclusions from injury and work respectively, and Chris Latella is a fitness freak looking very sharp this pre-season. Young Justin Chircop looks promising again this year as he matures and leads a good group of U/18's coming through.

The retirement of the old warrior Adam Taylor is a loss, but Jason Butty's performance in last years winning qualifying final against Spotswood showed he can be a very formiddable key backman and defender Chris Brierty is looking like one of the fittest down at Hogans Rd this pre-season. And as Danny said, Koutzamanis played majority of last season in the early game and with new blood coming through, the roll of small forward can be covered.

I'd also like to say the comments towards Reece Miles playing for himself and undoing Altona's good work are a little harsh. Milsey has been known to pump his own tyres from time to time, but he plays for the team and registered more handballs than the majority, possibly all, of the on-ballers for HC last season. He is a good team man and was apart of last seasons leadership group nominated by the players. Will be a massive pick up for Altona. Huge engine, ball magnet and kicks goals. Best of luck to him.

How have numbers on the track been and how have the players found the new coach?

Good wrap up JD.

A couple of blokes are looking forward to the clash against the Vikings early in the season.

Also the highlighted section above might be a bit off the mark:thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers have been ok GB50. The most we've had on the track at the one time has been 43. We have had on average roughly 30-35 per night.

How are Heights tracking? Good numbers?

Happy with our pre season. Numbers are up compared to last year and players are much fitter. Happy with what we have recruited so far but would like to improve depth a little more.

We are certainly prepared for division one this year and will have no excuses.

Will be good to start the year off with a win;)

Happy with our pre season. Numbers are up compared to last year and players are much fitter. Happy with what we have recruited so far but would like to improve depth a little more.

We are certainly prepared for division one this year and will have no excuses.

Will be good to start the year off with a win;)

Yes it will be good to start the year off with a win.

I didn't answer your question about the coach, Ezard has brought in a new style of play and a fresh start for all, so new drills and new game plan. it has been our hardest preseason for a few years as well. will take time to adapt to the new style of play but these things can be ironed out in the 4 praccys we have scheduled.

If the coaching saga at Colts is causing players to think about leaving it must be a massive dilemma. Some may stay and some may go.For what looked like such a tight bunch of blokes over the years, for the ones that leave, how would they feel playing against their old teammates that they had so much success with and even more difficult would be maybe inflicting defeat and possible lean times on their former club. Time will tell. Hopefully the Colts can work it out real quick.

As stated i have been around the club a little bit, there may be a little adversity around the club at the minute, how ever through this adversity alot of positive things will come out. They will get the best person possible to lead the club, julier definately not leaving.
The on;y real losses are the jacobs boys and perkins at this stage, a few quality players missed the gf last year a couple of handy recruits and a fitter julier and more responsabilty from massis and twomey and the colts will be every bit as good as last year.
Spotty will improve slightly but motivation will be a factor, albion seem to have recruited better, so will improve. Sunshine will also be improvers and hoppers are always there abouts.
Back to colts yes we faulted on the big day but we were a fair bit in front off most sides last year...so in my opinion it will be a very close season amongst the top 5 followed closely by altona.....no lean years ahead for colts, just keep hating us and bagging us we prefer that.
Yes i'm saying we, i may not be at the club this year but i'm colts through and through

GB50 - Drove past on way home from work the other night, and if anything your numbers were down compared to a few weeks ago???

Albion continue to sign players, but where will this leave there home growns???

This Colts saga seriously needs to come to an end, I have heard a few players are not happy!

Lastly down at the Kanga's on Wednesday night and a couple of new boys putting pen to paper as well as a past player back looking very fit and ready to go. Will give all teams the heads up, one young fella that signed out of Queensland will set this comp alight:thumbsu:

Good to see Cougar at the front of the pack setting the standard:D

GB50 - Drove past on way home from work the other night, and if anything your numbers were down compared to a few weeks ago???

I did say that numbers were up compared to last YEAR.. Not last week.

As with most teams numbers are an issue from time to time. Thats two sessions that you have "driven past". May as well just bite the bullet and stop in and have a run. Usuallly pretty well coached sessions:)

Yes it will be good to start the year off with a win.

I didn't answer your question about the coach, Ezard has brought in a new style of play and a fresh start for all, so new drills and new game plan. it has been our hardest preseason for a few years as well. will take time to adapt to the new style of play but these things can be ironed out in the 4 praccys we have scheduled.

Danny O, according to the grilled source. Hoppers my have their praccy match at football victoria, apperently 3 key players that were happy to sign "juicy" contracts elsewhere and then reneged have hit a nerve at an edfl club. The club involved is not taking it lightly and are hell bent on challenging the change of mind. The huge demands that were meet by the club in order to secure the 3 new players to the club is an issue will not go away easily.

it appears that the coach that didnt get a b grade position at the club may have been the driving force behind the change of mind, might be sour grapes.

As stated i have been around the club a little bit, there may be a little adversity around the club at the minute, how ever through this adversity alot of positive things will come out. They will get the best person possible to lead the club, julier definately not leaving.
Yes i'm saying we, i may not be at the club this year but i'm colts through and through

Wel,well,well the jungle drums are beating that Jack Love has resigned or withdrawn his services on Tuesday after a crisis meeting was held by the playing group due to the fact that AFL vic and the wrfl have made it quite clear he will not be allowed to coach Port Colts, although it seems thats been the case for 3 or 4 months the penny finally dropped!

Also from this, there is a big push to get clarke back to the club it seems the decision makers are backpedaling on this issue.

Not 100% but can anyone confirm or deny this info, also who is likely to be the new coach at the colts?

The on;y real losses are the jacobs boys and perkins at this stage, a few quality players missed the gf last year a couple of handy recruits and a fitter julier and more responsabilty from massis and twomey and the colts will be every bit as good as last year.
Spotty will improve slightly but motivation will be a factor, albion seem to have recruited better, so will improve. Sunshine will also be improvers and hoppers are always there abouts.
Back to colts yes we faulted on the big day but we were a fair bit in front off most sides last year...so in my opinion it will be a very close season amongst the top 5 followed closely by altona.....no lean years ahead for colts, just keep hating us and bagging us we prefer that.

dont think so, believe the boys would love to be wearing 07,08,09,10 on their bali singlets at the end of the year plus still afew quality players yet to have a medal hanging around their neck, plus first club to win 4 in a row plenty to motivate.

Wel,well,well the jungle drums are beating that Jack Love has resigned or withdrawn his services on Tuesday after a crisis meeting was held by the playing group due to the fact that AFL vic and the wrfl have made it quite clear he will not be allowed to coach Port Colts, although it seems thats been the case for 3 or 4 months the penny finally dropped!

Also from this, there is a big push to get clarke back to the club it seems the decision makers are backpedaling on this issue.

Not 100% but can anyone confirm or deny this info, also who is likely to be the new coach at the colts?

Highly unlikely, the decision makers do not want me there in a coaching position to many gf losses for their liking...they want success!!!
Although a number of players did call and ask me back, for the players i would have done it in a second but players don't make decisions and nor should they!
The club will no doubt put a very credible candidate in place , number of options available, from players to assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back