WSYD Western Sydney team name Poll:

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget Metro the real point is The AFL has to make this team bigger than the Sydney Swans if footy is to really take off. The big problem for the AFL in Sydney is that the game comes from Melbourne!!! If you're going to succeed with anything in Sydney you've gotta pump the big ticket items....Bridge etc.. OK ...have a different mascot...but somehow incorporate the bridge.

Forget Metro the real point is The AFL has to make this team bigger than the Sydney Swans if footy is to really take off. The big problem for the AFL in Sydney is that the game comes from Melbourne!!! If you're going to succeed with anything in Sydney you've gotta pump the big ticket items....Bridge etc.. OK ...have a different mascot...but somehow incorporate the bridge.

You said my idea sounded like a netball team, yet you we're the one who came up with this "metro" crap... :confused:

Ah well, if it's gonna include the harbor bridge on the jumper design or logo, why not something like "Western Sydney Steel" or something along those lines. Yes it might be lame, it's only a suggestion.

The bridge isn't very west. Nor does it include the west, what, it links the CBD with North Sydney - that's not very west. The iconic image, yes, it could do with something like that, but it ain't gonna be the bridge, even if the bridge symbolically would look great on a footy jumper.

The bridge is central - hence it crossing to the CBD.

The team isn't aimed at Ultimo and surrounds, its aimed at the Blacktown area. Can you even see the bridge from Paramatta?

Heck the blue mountains probably mean more to the area than the bridge!

Quite a few of the jumper designs on the other thread have the colour blue... not exactly the most original colour, but whatever the mascot is I reckon it should be one of the club's main colours... it would rival well with Sydney's red, kinda like Everton/Liverpool in the EPL... good idea... yes? no??

Celtics would be awesome.

If only the Had

KG in the ruck
Ray Allen down forward
And Paul Pierce running through the midfield.

Falcons or Black Falcons would be good. Native Australian bird of prey. found predominantly in NSW, parts of Vic + Qld. Previously suggested weeks ago by somebody else. Colours, Black, burnt orange (similar to orange on logo for Australian Tennis open ) and white. Natural enemy to swans.

rumour has it that the team will be called the western sydney harbour bridges.

i'm no expert on sydney but wont this team wanna move itself AWAY from the city seeing as thats where the swans are suposed to be based?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why has no one said Stallions? It's the best name I've heard so far for a Western Sydney team. Very marketable and is relevant to Sydney's pioneering history.

hey, who thought of wolves in the first place? its gained a lot of popularity for a not so obvious name (GC sharks, tasmanian devils)

Whatever they call it, I think they should remove "Sydney" completely. They will have a "western Sydney" affinity by virtue of their location. But they should try and usurp the Swans by making a play for representing the state of NSW, not just the city. Good for picking up new supporters but perhaps most important for sponsors - a name will be critical. In pretty much the same way that the Eagles gobbled up the state of WA and left Freo not much more than the cafe strip on South Terrace.

Why has no one said Stallions? It's the best name I've heard so far for a Western Sydney team. Very marketable and is relevant to Sydney's pioneering history.

Yeah, I'm on this one. I suggested it to the GC17 site. Really love that guernsey design in the other thread as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Western Sydney team name Poll:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back