Wfl 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work johnsy,should bring some good publicity for the league and horsham,by memory johnsy did the same thing in darwin in 98/99 2 flags at the tahs since early 80,s ive never been so drunk in my life, one of the most respected blokes up there.
i must admit hes a desent bloke outside footy,good SOCIAL lifealways looks after the younger boys in the side.,anyone that bags him really must only be jealous of whAT he has achieved.
Spot on beton. I think its great and it is good for the whole area for publicity. It`s about time a few people started pattin backs instead of slaggin off at clubs and players who are bustin there arse to keep their clubs goin wether they finish first or last we are all in it together in the bush.....Ya still hate the opposition on the day though and rivalries are strong and wouldn`t give it up for quids. Johnsy has been the biggest thing to happen around here for a long time week in week out does his business and has been the rock in horsham winnin 6 in a row..:thumbsu:

fancy pants u must wank at night thinkin of johnsy if u disagree with the facts.......whats it like rootin your pig misses and thinken of johnsy......LOL
thats a bit harsh benton 5 im doin some landscaping and im wondering if FANCY PANTS can lend me his missus head for my rock garden im buiding....

An ugly incident marred the 2's game yesterday between Saints and Stawell. A saints player king hit a Stawell player behind play leaving him concussed and needing 3-4 stiches on the inside of his lip. A fight then proceeded this incident with most players including bench were involved (as it was close to the boundary). The saints player who threw the punch was taken over the fence by his parents and sat away from everything. The umpires had lost complete control of the game with niether going to report the player that threw the first punch. Their defence was "We didnt see it". The umpire was basically standing next to the incident as he could not keep up with they play. The 2's coach of the Saints said the player wont play with thier club again. The game had being firery and physical with a total of 5 yellow cards given (none of which were from the fight) because the umpires didnt want to step into the middle of it.

Who were the umpires? Sounds like it was bad for footy. Who was hit?
I have no idea who the umpires were they goal umpired for the seniors though and made mistakes there Kelm was robbed of a goal. Vaughan Allan was hit by number 59 a Combe?? I think

I have no idea who the umpires were they goal umpired for the seniors though and made mistakes there Kelm was robbed of a goal. Vaughan Allan was hit by number 59 a Combe?? I think
I gather there will be another 'investigation'. The umpires have got to start taking the required action, ie report and red card at the time of the incident. It must have been pretty bad for the Saints coach to already have banned the player?:thumbsdown:

I gather there will be another 'investigation'. The umpires have got to start taking the required action, ie report and red card at the time of the incident. It must have been pretty bad for the Saints coach to already have banned the player?:thumbsdown:
To be honest there should have being about 10 reports from the game but the umps did nothing about it. It was a terrible incident hit behind play about 25-30m and had no idea it was coming was a fairly low act. That is what I am hearing he wont play for them again. Also there maybe another investigation im not sure what was happening there. Was an ugly day of football

An ugly incident marred the 2's game yesterday between Saints and Stawell. A saints player king hit a Stawell player behind play leaving him concussed and needing 3-4 stiches on the inside of his lip. A fight then proceeded this incident with most players including bench were involved (as it was close to the boundary). The saints player who threw the punch was taken over the fence by his parents and sat away from everything. The umpires had lost complete control of the game with niether going to report the player that threw the first punch. Their defence was "We didnt see it". The umpire was basically standing next to the incident as he could not keep up with they play. The 2's coach of the Saints said the player wont play with thier club again. The game had being firery and physical with a total of 5 yellow cards given (none of which were from the fight) because the umpires didnt want to step into the middle of it.
Crowey get your facts right before you go shooting your mouth off.
No one at any time said that Coombe is not welcome to play for the club again. He acknowledges he has made a huge mistake in what everyone would agree is a "Dog act", however their are a lot of underlying issues which also need to be reviewed.
Firstly, the umpiring was, as per every week, shit house!!!
The umpires did not leave the square, and didn't even run through the middle because it was a bit muddy.
A fifty was given and the umpire didn't even show where the mark was. He called to the player "keep going, keep going, yep that will do"
Come on Wimmera Umpires, you are getting paid, we deserve better than this.
I think everyone who saw the incident, saw Gravo (Stawell 2nd's Coach) throw punches during the melee. OK Granted he was upset at what had occurred, but he is an official and should have not been involved.
This whole incident is ugly and by no means defendible, but at the root of both incidents this year with Saints 2nds, has been the woeful standard of umpiring which allows the frustration of the players to esculate into what has been a regretable incident for both clubs involved.
It's nearly time for club delegates to umpire the 2's rather than 60+ fat blokes calling the play from 40 meters away.:mad:

Crowey get your facts right before you go shooting your mouth off.
No one at any time said that Coombe is not welcome to play for the club again. He acknowledges he has made a huge mistake in what everyone would agree is a "Dog act", however their are a lot of underlying issues which also need to be reviewed.
Firstly, the umpiring was, as per every week, shit house!!!
The umpires did not leave the square, and didn't even run through the middle because it was a bit muddy.
A fifty was given and the umpire didn't even show where the mark was. He called to the player "keep going, keep going, yep that will do"
Come on Wimmera Umpires, you are getting paid, we deserve better than this.
I think everyone who saw the incident, saw Gravo (Stawell 2nd's Coach) throw punches during the melee. OK Granted he was upset at what had occurred, but he is an official and should have not been involved.
This whole incident is ugly and by no means defendible, but at the root of both incidents this year with Saints 2nds, has been the woeful standard of umpiring which allows the frustration of the players to esculate into what has been a regretable incident for both clubs involved.
It's nearly time for club delegates to umpire the 2's rather than 60+ fat blokes calling the play from 40 meters away.:mad:
Ok I apologise that is what I heard on the grapevine that he wouldn't play there again. And how about you get your facts right Gravo did not throw one single punch he stood out of it no where near it. He did this as he is on that 16 week ban thing and your gone for life. I know this for a fact because a lot of people have being talking around the club about how well behaved he was. He stood back out of it. So you get your facts right berryball before you start flapping your gums.
The other part of your post is completly correct the umpires are disgraceful. Many a time people were told to move around on thier mark when the umpire was standing bout 30m away. They stand that far away and make terrible decisions all day long. It may have to get to a stage like in the district league where one person from each club umpires the 2's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahaha

Billy Brownless: " David johns from Horsham.....
Don't think there are too many pies left in Horsham"
haha
Both Horsham boys did well, 5 goals between them, a best on ground and Johnsy got a bit of air time at the end. All good.

I completely agree that the current situation with reserves umpires can’t continue beyond this year. It’s not just that they are unfit and don’t know the rules though. Some appear to get a set on a team or a player and target them with cards or free kicks. It’s a terrible shame that the league has not been able to do more to try and recruit from clubs. The best system would be if all clubs had to throw up two people before Xmas that were available to umpire reserves and they made themselves available for some basic training. The other thing that must happen is that we have to get rid of all these goal umpires and let the clubs supply them. Most of them can’t even keep the score and it is simply a waste of money. The leagues and clubs become more profitable the more umpires they provide. For clubs that can’t supply their own umpires then there could be a user pays system.
I think though if a system like this comes in we have to do something strong about these brawls. Instead of guys getting one and two weeks for knocking people out they need to get 5 and 6 as they would in the AFL. If we introduce club umpires and this sort of stuff continues it will place the competition under enormous pressure. Nobody would want to be put in the position where they would have to report someone from their own club.
Yeah I can see your point with an umpire not wanting to report someone from their own team. But the district leagues that are around this area (HDFL, LPFL, and MDFL) all have umpires from own club and they seem fair and reasonable they just can't be bias and actually umpire the game and not worry about the score (if team losing more free kicks etc)

A few points to make here guy. Without umpires there wouldnt be football, Wimmera league or elsewhere. So get off their back, give them a break and get on with it. It's a tough job and they basically do a good job. If we didnt have thugs going around king hitting blokes then these problems wouldnt arrise. Maybe we need to look at getting rid of these blokes.

Secondly, I went to the legends match last night and Johnsy did a great job. Carried himself well and represented the league with distinction (although he did get showed up by a former Horsham reserves player). Only bad thing about him playing is that i was hopeful he might twinge his hammy or something, as we play them in a few weeks.

Lets get a bit more footy talk on here guys. Weekly predictions, flag predictions, half way team of the year, toohey medal winner.

I'll start it off. This week im going for an upset, with a fired up rats to get over the warriors; Saints in a close one over the diggers; the tigers to pump the roos by a long way and the eagles over a determined burra outfit. Horsham will comfortable account for the bye.

I'd say horsham will be hard to beat in the race to the flag, perhaps again a battle for second.

My early Toohey medal favoutire is Chris Ladhams from Nhill, seems to kick goals and i think plays through the midfield. Priceless.

Lets get a bit more footy talk on here guys. Weekly predictions, flag predictions, half way team of the year, toohey medal winner.

I'll start it off. This week im going for an upset, with a fired up rats to get over the warriors; Saints in a close one over the diggers; the tigers to pump the roos by a long way and the eagles over a determined burra outfit. Horsham will comfortable account for the bye.

I'd say horsham will be hard to beat in the race to the flag, perhaps again a battle for second.

My early Toohey medal favoutire is Chris Ladhams from Nhill, seems to kick goals and i think plays through the midfield. Priceless.
After watching Nhill for a couple of games they seemed to have clicked with each other and are now looking like a red hot flag chance to knock the dees off.

After watching Nhill for a couple of games they seemed to have clicked with each other and are now looking like a red hot flag chance to knock the dees off.
Crowey, if thats the case with Gravo, he could find himself in hot water. As a player from the saints has made a report that he was hit by Gravo...
Thats all i know of it...........
Anyway enough about all that. Craig Wilson has come unstuck saturday night. He fell over an iron fence and gashed he leg that badly that it cut through ligaments and tendons and all the other stuff that keeps your leg together. He is expected to be in Hospital for the next few weeks and wont be able to walk unassisted for over 2 months.
Can things at the Burra's get any worse this year. You have to feel for them with the retched bad luck they have had.

HOT OFF THE STAWELL MAIL TIMES....
Peter PIES Homden has strained a DARTOS muscle in what was to be his greatest comeback since john farnham 1 more time...
peter has come a long way since moving from skeene st to cooper st were he sits out on his front veranda having a white ox and a glass of fruiti-lexia.
He was planning to take the field sunday against the rodents at 1230 and said last night"im gonna kick 10 i think sundy"whilst completing the warm up drill he strained his DARTOS muscle which is an area near the scrotum.and was seen later that night crying heavily on the phone to snake johnson his long time cousin .GOOD LUCK PETER FOR THE FUTURE

Sorry number 5 but once you start accepting money to serve the game then your allowed to be reviewed the same as player coaches and administrators are. You can’t say it’s not a footy issue when as we speak the VCFL, the tribunal and the league are all discussing the conduct of umpires in the reserve grade over the last few weeks.

Hey Johnsy, read the article today and don’t disagree with what you are saying but how exactly would you go about this restructure if it means clubs folding and merging? How about naming the clubs or putting forward the body that should do it. I would imagine if several leagues put forward a proposal to the VCFL then something might happen but until then all bodies appear to be happy with the natural attrition we see now. Nobody sees a restructure in that sense as their core business so you need to actually call on all key stakeholders to come together. I’m sure if you did this in the paper it would gain impetus. The three or four Leagues in the area represented with people like Burdett, Richardson and Marklew you could develop working groups to look at all facets of footy in our area. You could come up with a strategic direction that looks at footy in the West as a hole instead of League by League or club by club.
Johnsy, you started the article to get people talking, which you have, why not take the next step and get something done.

FP

Totally agree on the umpire status.

Football needs players and adminstrators too. Sick of hearing the game needs umpires. It has gone without them before. Umpires need to respect that players and administrators are required and in the majority are volunteers and not peasants of the game.

Most Umpire Association have professional standards to meet before they are even concidered for a game. By the look of some of the umpires getting around a pulse is all that is required to be allocated a game. Maybe if they introduced some professional gradings they may attract more umpires. It seems a very closed shop in that only the next generation can get in and are made welcome.

Over the years there has been a lot of good potentially very good umpires walk away as the umpiring fraternity was considered clicky. Umpires keep putting their collective hands out saying they need more money to attract more umpires but money has been proven to not be the catalyst to recruit. Professionalism and mutaul admiration would go a long way.

As to restructing football as a whole I don't anything will be acheived by one person. It needs to be done collectively. It is a pity the WMT don't start public discussion on the matter and get the issue to the forefront. Something will only be acheived by overwhelming public desire and consultation.

Good point Slenko in that we have more paid umpires now in the Wimmera League the ever before. Do we have not enough umpires or to many?

It is not the number of umpires it is simply the quality and the attitude.

They believe they are above the game and most necessary element. They work in conjunction with no one and are accountable to no one.

They need to be paid on a performance base not a base rate.

By applying some professional standards they will earn respect and commence to attract fitness minded people. Healthy body equals healthy mind and better decision making.

Crowey, if thats the case with Gravo, he could find himself in hot water. As a player from the saints has made a report that he was hit by Gravo...
Gravo was not anywhere near the fight. I don't know how the saints player would have picked Gravo out as the one that hit him.

Little bit concerned about playin twos against the saints this w'e.. might havta don the helmet and mouthgaurd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back