What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hawks smashola the 30,000 barrier...50,000 is inevitable

How many games are included in the reserved seat package??

That is one downside to the tassie deal.

If all the hawks home games were in Melbourne the reserved seat packages would generate more money for em.
the concept of make-up games has penetrated the opposition fans' world so slowly it is unbelievable. it's been around for ages, even back when we were a bottom 4 team.

the standard membership is 11 games, there is the different membership for all victorian games. for 4 "away" games, hawk members get in on their membership. has been going on since 2005, possibly earlier. very few fans of other clubs even seem to know it goes on, never mind comprehend how it works!

the concept of make-up games has penetrated the opposition fans' world so slowly it is unbelievable. it's been around for ages, even back when we were a bottom 4 team.

the standard membership is 11 games, there is the different membership for all victorian games. for 4 "away" games, hawk members get in on their membership. has been going on since 2005, possibly earlier. very few fans of other clubs even seem to know it goes on, never mind comprehend how it works!

its been going since 2003 (first game in tassie) and opposition fans know, they just choose to ignore it

Whatever way you look at it, in reality you can only praise the results Hawthorn is achieving in membership. For a club like Hawthorn to achieve 50,000 members (which they are likely to do) not only confirms that the club has a large following but more importantly, illustrates how well the club has positioned itself to its supporters. The supporters have jumped on board in astronomical numbers. For this club to sell 50,000 memberships and perhapse 22 - 23,000 annual reserved seats certainly shows that a well run club can prosper in the modern era. Who would have thought Hawthorn would well and smash all Victorian membership records in 2008 - and in doing so soar well past Essendon and Collingwood in the process.

Well done Hawthorn - you and your club should be proud of the achievements.

Cheers Dave. I don't hate the bombers anymore.;)

you are a nob. The majority of hawthorns support comes from the Waverly Disctrict (Roweville, Mulgrave, Mt Waverly, Glen Waverly) and the majority of Hawthorn's support is working class.

I've seen a lot of rewriting of history/facts by Hawthorn supporters at this joint, but this one is classic.

Yes, Glen Waverley, that working class bastion.

I mean, you get off at the station at you are literally gasping for breath from the fumes of all the chemical plants, and the din of the factories.

FFS.

The Hawks have signed up 30,087 members already, with 19,214 members signed up at the same time last year. With an increase of 57 per cent in membership to date, of which 22 per cent are new members, the Hawks are closing in fast on last season’s record membership of 41,686.

Wow 22% new members and 17000 reserved seat members. Excellent work. I haven't signed up yet, with my two children. We've been members for years but haven't gone to games due to my illness and kids car accident a few years ago.

Can't wait to sign up and support the club. It won't be sustainable, i think imo, but if we can hover over 40 - 45 K each year, it will be great.

I hope other clubs get good support from their members, including the MFC;)

I've seen a lot of rewriting of history/facts by Hawthorn supporters at this joint, but this one is classic.

Yes, Glen Waverley, that working class bastion.

I mean, you get off at the station at you are literally gasping for breath from the fumes of all the chemical plants, and the din of the factories.

FFS.

I must admit to thinking the same thing when I read that.

?????

Talk bout missing the point.

The pies have an 18 game reserved seat membership package that goes for around $800.

What is the maximum the Hawks offer? And how many games is the reserved seat thing for?? You were spruiking the 17K members and the big money they bring in!

It was raised at the pies AGM that it was much more expensive than other clubs, and it was mentioned that on a per game basis it works out similar to other clubs.

Well i guess Hawthorn are the "perfect club" at the moment.

First they have the prolific, "unstoppable" Buddy Franklin who really is the "face of the franchise," with talk of him being one of the greatest forwards of all time.

Then there is Luke Hodge whose courage and constant attack on the ball would make the great Hawthorn tough men of the 20th century - such as Brereton and Matthews - proud. Just getting on the park in the GF was a remarkable effort let alone winning the covetted Norm Smith. After that inspirational performance he's been rated by many as being in the top 3 players in the comp.

Now Cyril Rioli, the nephew of champion indigenous player Michael Long, whose stellar first year (including some inspirational acts in the 2008 GF) has shot him to fame.

As well, there is the coach Alistair Clarkson who - i think its fair to say had his doubters - has transformed the Hawks into one of the most exciting clubs in the league "against all odds".

Then of course the fact that the club is young and on the rise stimulates thoughts of a Hawthorn dynasty that could rival the great 80's.

To cap it all off, the club won the premiership and has given the "fairytale" finish to one of the many many champions to ever grace an AFL field.

After the rebuild period the club has went through they thoroughly deserve this success and it is only fitting that they achieve record membership totals.

Cudos to the Hawthorn football club:thumbsu:.​

Thers no oubt Buddy is a big drawcard but I wonder if its daily ticket sales more than memberships.

I cant help but thinking Cyril might out draw him sometime soon - hes something else that guy.

you are a nob. The majority of hawthorns support comes from the Waverly Disctrict (Roweville, Mulgrave, Mt Waverly, Glen Waverly) and the majority of Hawthorn's support is working class.

I would bet you Richmond has far more "fair weather" supporters then the Hawks. I mean a hasbeen gets recuited and you get 5000 people on board

Any sign of life at richmond will see a surge. Any sign of consistent form will see us up with Carlton and Essendon long term. A flag would see an unprecedented surge of interest. ANYthing will get interest going at richmond because the dormant support is huge.

Look what a flag has done for Hawthorn. Apples for apples richmond draw 15% more... a flag would see absolutely unprecedented demand at Tigerland. The Cousins thing is only a little foretaste of what will happen when the Train rols.

Any sign of life at richmond will see a surge. Any sign of consistent form will see us up with Carlton and Essendon long term. A flag would see an unprecedented surge of interest. ANYthing will get interest going at richmond because the dormant support is huge.

Look what a flag has done for Hawthorn. Apples for apples richmond draw 15% more... a flag would see absolutely unprecedented demand at Tigerland. The Cousins thing is only a little foretaste of what will happen when the Train rols.

Apples for apples richmond draw 15% more.... what a joke! :D

You keep chest beating about your woulds and coulds Tigers, but in reality Hawthorn are AND will continue to smash you in every facet of football - on and off the field.

Apples for apples richmond draw 15% more.... what a joke! :D

You keep chest beating about your woulds and coulds Tigers, but in reality Hawthorn are AND will continue to smash you in every facet of football - on and off the field.

Fact is that when we are more or less equal onfield Richmond draw about 15% more. This is a verifiable fact. You havethe flag Hawker but don't for a minute think you could live with us if we had it.It is your time now and good luck but throughout history we always outdraw you. we are bigger. FACT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is that when we are more or less equal onfield Richmond draw about 15% more. This is a verifiable fact. You havethe flag Hawker but don't for a minute think you could live with us if we had it.It is your time now and good luck but throughout history we always outdraw you. we are bigger. FACT.
Don't know about bigger but Shitter definately!

Does bigger mean better?

I wouldn't have thought so.

I would have thought performing well on and off field would be most important, not what you can potentially do. Tiger fans are the worst going around for speculating what they 'could' do on field, and what they 'could' do off the field.

Richmond are basically saying, if they do well on field, they have the potential to well off field. Well, they haven't done well on field for a long long long long time, and its about time to stop speculating about what you could do, and start actually doing it.

Does bigger mean better?

I wouldn't have thought so.

I would have thought performing well on and off field would be most important, not what you can potentially do. Tiger fans are the worst going around for speculating what they 'could' do on field, and what they 'could' do off the field.

Richmond are basically saying, if they do well on field, they have the potential to well off field. Well, they haven't done well on field for a long long long long time, and its about time to stop speculating about what you could do, and start actually doing it.

I know what gaelictiogar is trying to say cschreuder61....Richmond supporters have put up with a lot of misery in the past 25 years. If they had a sustained period of success on field, they would be massive off field as well i am sure!!!! I can only imagine the amount of bandwagoners that would jump back onboard there!!!

They are a sleeping giant but the problem is that they are so badly run, they may never awaken. The rest of us will just continue to laugh at the 3 ringed Tiger Circus down at Punt road while it lasts!:p

It is still 2008 and we have more 2009 members than Bulldogs, Dees, Lions, Swans & Saints had in 2008.
Amazing.

With the Eagles & Crows memberships capped, we will have the most members until the a new stadium is built in WA or the Bombers start making Grand Finals again.

I.e. A long, long time.

It is still 2008 and we have more 2009 members than Bulldogs, Dees, Lions, Swans & Saints had in 2008.
Amazing.

With the Eagles & Crows memberships capped, we will have the most members until the a new stadium is built in WA or the Bombers start making Grand Finals again.

I.e. A long, long time.

I hope you are right....that will be a massive, massive achievement.

The only issue i see is that things are going to get a lot tougher in the first quarter of 2009. People really aren't sure what is in store although there is going to be massive layoffs very early. Will be interesting to see what happens if the worse case scenario occurs as far as AFL club memberships. I am glad we have such a huge number already in the bank!!

Amazing.

I.e. A long, long time.

If Collingwood were to win a flag in the next 2 to 3 years Collingwood would easily break 50,000 members and could easily get close to 60,000 member's!

And this would easily happen with the amount of support Collingwood have around Australia which is the biggest out of the Victorian clubs and we have double the supporterbase of Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back