Strategy What Is Hartlett's Best Position

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
I don't think we have seen the best of Hamish Hartlett yet. Last season he played across half back a lot but that is a position we have well covered with Pittsrd, Impey, Jonas, O'Shea, Krakouer and Broadbent and Hamish can play anywhere.

Personally I'd like to see HH play as a midfielder/ forward. With less rotations we are likely to need to play more players through the centre square and I believe he could be devastating with the ball in his hand about 50-70 meters from goal.

There's already talk that less rotations will mean more stay at home forwards. Having a forward who cannot be left alone even when 70 from goal will open up our forward line by dragging defenders with him.

I think HH is wasted down back.

half back, because of his kick and he reads the play a lot better in the backline, I would love to say the midfield but i think he gets lost in the midfield and doenst quite have that instinct top line midfielders have at knowing where the ball is going to be. That doesnt mean he cant stream forward and kick as many goals as he likes

I think midfield. Bullocking work is an underrated strength of his - also ensures that he can still have a big contribution on the game if his opponent is nullifying the opportunities he's getting out in space.

There was a demographic on the afl website a while back that showed when hartlett is in attendance as part of the 3 midfielders at the start of each centre bounce we are a higher % to win the clearance. As long as he isn't hard tagged his kicking skills mean that he can either cover the journey from 60-70 and clear and forward 50 zones that the opposition has put in place. I believe his kicking is more accurate in the forward half of the ground. He has the ability to rush kicks and spray them in the back half especially when under pressure - see the north error last year that cost us the game.

Plus Krakouer has the hbf/quarterback role covered nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HH lays more tackles than any other player on the side.
On the inside with Ollie busting them up so the Grays can feed it out.

It's clear HH best games are off the HBF

I would have said the opposite. Hartletts best games are when he's getting the ball forward of centre.
Perhaps his highest % games are at half back though.

In theory HH long kick should be a real weapon in the forward third of the ground much like Stewy Dew, but in reality he's clearly played better off half back reading the play and using his long leg rebounding out of defensive 50 clearing opposition zones. He's best being used as an inside mid with Ollie feeding the ball out to the runners and rotating through half back giving Broadbent and Impey some midfield time.

He's so flexible, I would play him where he's needed most

If Polec/White are injured, he could play on a wing.

If we need options across half back, for example if Pittard and/or Broadbent out of form/injured, then play HH there.

I can't really see him playing as a permanent half forward as we have so many options there already (Wingard, Nead, Monfries, Gray etc), but if needed there, he could obviously play in attack.

Ideally, I would play him across half back fo most of them season, but in big games, in particular finals (if we make them), I would like to see him play primarily as a midfielder.

You would like to have 3 of him in the same team - 1 on ball, 1 at HFF and 1 and HBF. I reckon he'll be used similarly to Westhoff as a utility in certain positions when we need him, e.g. if we need a boost out the middle we'll chuck him there, if we need a settler and drive off of half back we can rely on him, etc. Not that I agree with that, as his talents would be somewhat wasted by not playing him where he's best all the time, but I trust Ken will find the right place for him.

This isn't a discussion.

"What was really good for the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season was that Vossy and Ken had a chat about where I was at and they pretty much identified if we want to go anywhere in the finals, and potentially win a flag that I'm going to play in a position best suited to me - which is on ball. I went back to half back for a couple of weeks and that was good back there but the last four of five weeks I played predominantly on-ball and I think that security and the confidence that they instilled in me in that period really brought out the best footy in me."
- Hamish Hartlett

The Rush Hour With Jars & Louie - Friday 25th September @ 4:30

/thread

No matter where HH plays, I don't think he'll be accused of getting the easy ball; loves the big hit or tackle too much.
That's why he is wasted there despite his kicking weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy What Is Hartlett's Best Position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back