What is the worst action you've seen or heard that was committed by AFL footy fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Armed & Dangerous

Cancelled
Jan 12, 2007
Townsville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Roosters
I'm curious as to how low some fans would stoop in order to get their point across. What they did, why they did it and what was the end result?

For me it is the despicable treatment of Robert Shaw's family (particularly his children) during the 1996 season.

What about your experiences?

Not serious at all, but i always find it in really poor taste when people yell out "carn [team]" during a minutes silence. obviously looking for some "look at me" laughs, but happens without fail every year. disrespectful.

Yelling out during the last couple of lines of the national anthem is a different matter...love it!

Boo'ing or heckling an injured player from any club, not nice!

Also some behaviour at local footy, i.e, from players parents, the abuse they can give is also not cool!:thumbsdown:

When I was a kid I saw a Collingwood support urinate on the wall at the top of the stands at VFL park. It stank!

What spins me out is that one supporter will want to fight with another just because he wears a different colour jumper. (OK so this may not happen so much here in Australia, but I think this is more appropriate for England/Europe soccer teams)

essendon supporter's crying in their thousands after the '99' prelim final was the worst thing i have ever witnessed at the footy. it was pretty funny as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember back in the early 80's the pies cheersquad started a fire at Windy Hill after a loss. It was pretty much confined to the cut up telephone books they had thrown but was a pretty low act that could have got out of control.

The worst thing I've seen was at the showdown last year. A port fan punched a crows fan square in the face. But besides that, haven't seen anything remotely bad.

I remember back in the early 80's the pies cheersquad started a fire at Windy Hill after a loss. It was pretty much confined to the cut up telephone books they had thrown but was a pretty low act that could have got out of control.

Wasnt their a fire at Vic Park against Essendon in the 70's aswell? Someone lit up Collingwoods supporters floggers.

Watched a doco last night called Hooligans about England supporters at last years World Cup. We are so far in front it doesn't matter.

So true aye, and it's debatable whether the Poms are the worst really.

We look back with shame about the 'bad old days' at Victoria Park with Nicky Winmar as if it's some ancient throw back that would never taint the game again, which is a great thing really - I was in Scotland a couple of months back at an SPL game and there were monkey noises being made for the only black man on the field - and that's light weight stuff.

I know a bloke from England (became a seaman and jumped ship the minute he docked in Sydney) who often tells the story of a West Ham match where after the game he saw a couple of blokes hold another down and cut out his eye with a metal comb. And that was not exactly an isolated incident, but it was the end of his football-match-attending days. I think we do quite well out here.

So true aye, and it's debatable whether the Poms are the worst really.

We look back with shame about the 'bad old days' at Victoria Park with Nicky Winmar as if it's some ancient throw back that would never taint the game again, which is a great thing really - I was in Scotland a couple of months back at an SPL game and there were monkey noises being made for the only black man on the field - and that's light weight stuff.

Reminds me of this famous photo of John Barnes from a few years ago:

26.jpg

I'm curious as to how low some fans would stoop in order to get their point across. What they did, why they did it and what was the end result?

For me it is the despicable treatment of Robert Shaw's family (particularly his children) during the 1996 season.

What about your experiences?

I Assume you are talking about when he was Coach of Adelaide? Can you remind me of what went on exactly.

Kleos

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the worst action you've seen or heard that was committed by AFL footy fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back