Teams What is your R1, 2010 ultimate 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayes and Armitage will be our main two inside mids, with McQualter and Goddard moving in for relief when they're struggling.
I keep getting this vision of Montagna and Lovett blasting up the wing trading handballs. I also keep having to change my pants.

Sorry to intrude but I'm interested to know about Lynch... I hear conflicting things, is he a Ryan O'Keefe work up the ground target or a bit bigger 3rd tall option?

I recall his stat sheet listing him at 190+ cms, but Chris Judd is 191cm so it doesn't officially mean he is a key position player. I'm not sure what his playing style is, but either of what you described would be great for our side. Better than playing Gwilt, at least.

Anyone who has seen anything of Lynch should automatically know that the best player to compare him to is the man who is responsible for our new direction. A forward who showed leadership, heart, courage and passion. A man who bled black, white and red.....

AARON HAMILL

B. Baker - Dawson - Gilbert
HB. Ray - Blake - Fisher
C. Montagna - Hayes - Lovett
HF. Goddard - Riewoldt - X.Clarke+
F. Milne+ - Koschitzke - Schneider+
R. Gardiner/King* - Dal Santo - Jones
I. McEvoy - Everitt - Gram+ - R.Clarke+
E. McQualter - Dempster - Armitage

*Only one of Gardiner and King to play. McEvoy has show enough to play every game barring fitness and form so only the best of the 2 seniors should play.

+ These players are the first ones under pressure should the emergency listed players do enough to earn a spot. Heyne, Lynch, Peake, Gwilt and Steven in the mix as well.

I'd be ok with Mini in the team but he needs to kick more goals. We had plenty of chances against the Cats and I feel that with more attacking players would've won. Am I over reacting? Maybe. We only need a slight tweaking towards pace and flair to go up that 5% needed each year. Playing all of Baker, Dempster, Mini and Jones leaves us too defensive across half forward.

This is assuming the Everitt deal goes through of course. I think it will and I'll be over the moon about it. The kid looks very, very good and with our plan and systems he could be awesome.

I also left in the Clarke brothers but I'm not sure if we are going to have either of them next year with all the rumors.

Yep Lynch reminded me of Hamill in the vids i saw of him. Quite similar in the way they attack the footy and player.

That's a very good thing! Can't wait till he's ready to step up!

Great times being a saint! Our fringe players are all very capable!

2010 team

B: Blake Dawson Gilbert
HB: Goddard Fisher Baker
C: Jones Montagna Ray
HF: McQualter Riewoldt Gram
F: Lynch Kos Schneider
R: Gardiner Hayes Dal Santo
INT: McEvoy Peake Armitage Lovett

Lynch too early?

Re: 2010 team

Not a bad effort. Milne still deserves a guernsey in the H&A season, should feel the squeeze come finals. Gram blazes for goal too much, keep him running off half back. King still slightly ahead of Big Ben for mine.

I'd like to see Lynch get a crack next year, see him bring the fire to our forward line

Blake Dawson Baker
Gilbert Fisher Goddard
Jones Montagna Lovett
McQualter Reiwoldt Gram
Milne Kosi Schneider
Gardiner Hayes Dal

King Armo Peake Ray

That would be my team. Maybe Gwilt or Lynch come in for that third tall spot.

DOn't want Lynch in till his body is as strong as it needs to be, it'll take a while, maybe a season more. He can play a few games but its a tough posi we would ask him to play.

Gwilt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FULL BACKS - Steven Baker - Zac Dawson - Sam Gilbert

Baker to play on the opposition small forward and do the job as always. No fuss, no nonsense. Dawson at full back was a revelation and he has earned his spot in this team. He is willing to throw his weight around and is a fairly good kick. Gilbert to take the medium tall/2nd small forward and run them off their legs. His tackling is awesome and his ability to side step is needed when we are under pressure deep in defence.

HALF BACKS - Jason Gram - Jason Blake - Sam Fisher

Gram is our get out option with his long kicks from half back. People forget that he can be a good defender when he is on and he needs to do it more often. Blake is a gun. He can take talls and Smalls and run all game long. Give him the CHF and he can set us up. Sam Fisher should be freed up to play loose and be our backline general again. Give him the job on a third tall and he can get dangerous through the middle of the ground.

CENTRE LINE - Nick Dal Santo - Lenny Hayes - Andrew Lovett

Dal is best playing as a receiver who can find his own ball when needed. Watching him get a handball out of the pack and slice it to Kosi or Roo is always awesome. Lenny is our best clearence player and needs to be left in the middle for as long as possible to try and break the opposition open. Lovett is a fantastic addition to our midfield and should increase his posession rate in our side. Watching him stream down the wing, bouncing the ball before unloading is an exciting prospect.

HALF FORWARD LINE - Brendan Goddard - Justin Koschitzke - Adam Schneider

I'm one of the many people who feels that BJ should spend more time forward. I'd give him the Ryan O'Keefe role and let him run anywhere from full forward to half back to go looking for the ball. If he works on his goals kicking a little he could slot them from outside 50 no worries. Kosi at CHF is a big call but I think it's the little tweak we need. It wouldn't be a full time thing but Kosi has the tank to move around and get dangerous up the field. I think being the full forward limits him a little and freeing him up the field could be a tonic. Schneids can take a good mark and plays a little taller than he is. He should try to get a little more midfield time next year as well.

FULL FORWARD LINE - Stephen Milne - Nick Reiwoldt - Andrew McQualter

Milney is who he is. He will amaze us and piss us off but he still averages 2 goals a game and if not for nerves he would be a premiership hero. He will be better for the lessons of Grand Final day and is still our best small forward. Roo should play closer to goal more often next season. He seems to have solved his goal kicking action and appeared more confident in himself as the season wore on. He does his best work tiring defenders out and taking marks on angles or running with the flight and I feel this would have more impact if his marks were closer to goal. Mini needs to work on his goal kicking. He should spend the summer with Milney and learn to snap, soccer and dribble goals from all angles. His defence is great but he is a forward and must get more dangerous. Like Schneids I look forward to seeing him spend more time in the middle next year.

ON BALL DIVISION - Michael Gardiner/Steven King - Leigh Montagna - Clinton Jones

Only one of Gardiner/King should play and I would base it on form and fitness each week. McEvoy should be the second ruckman in as many games as possible in 2010. Both these guys are warriors and should be managed carefully. Joey is our best midfielder now. He can run, kick, mark, tackle, win the hard ball or the loose ball and kick goals. Start him on the ball and rotate him forward a little with Schneider/McQualter. Jones is our number 1 tagger and is almost at the "set and forget" stage. His pressure is awesome and he knows when to run off his man, kicking goals on Ablett both times we played Geelong.

INTERCHANGE - Ben McEvoy - Farren Ray - Raphael Clarke - Luke Ball/David Armitage

Big Ben deserves to play as many games as possible and as a second ruckman/third tall forward he could be as good as Kruezer. Farren was a great pickup and will continue to improve under Ross' coaching. I'd have him swapping with Gram through the midfield and defence. His pack marking was a hell of alot better than I expected from a midfielder and reminded my of Jimmy Bartel. Raph polarizes people but he has earned his spot. Needs to step out next year and become a full blown midfielder to show everyone what he is truly capable of. I expect Ball to stay and realise just how good he can be if he puts in the work. Armitage to take his spot if he does leave. Not quite the clearence player Ball is but layes the tackles and can kick a goal.

Not too much change from 2009. Just playing Goddard forward instead of back when he is resting from the midfield and giving Raph more of a chance as an attacking option also. Big Ben to get his chance and Gram to play as a defender again are the biggest shifts.

Dempster unlucky but I feel we are too defensive with all of Dempster, Mini, Baker and Jones in the team. Dempster, Peake, Lynch, Heyne and Steven to be given chances as they earn them with Begley, Stanley and Tungatalum a chance of getting 1 or 2 games through the year ala Armitage and Steven this year.

Sorry about the long posts :eek:

Go the Saints :thumbsu:

Alpha nice post and good team... I did a team previously and rekon I am with you on everything..

Back 6 I had exactly the same with Raph and Ray options for rotation with Gram depending on matchups.

Midfield the same rotating Lovett on the wing with Ray, Goddard, Clarke or Peake if he is in the side...

BJ would be great as a forward.. even played deep (remember him in the eagles game ealry rd)... who do you have kicking out from a point with BJ forward if dal santo is off the ground?.. I think Raph could be considered for the 3rd forward role also... pushing BJ back to a wing...

I like the kosi move to CHF... but feel he needs to work on mobility and kicking into the forward fifty which can be a bit off the mark from time to time.... he doesnt have the explosive speed off the mark required at FF to find space in a clogged up forward fifty like reiwoldt does... but he will be invaluable to run back to goal square for the odd pack mark (best in the league imo)...

Strangle them in 2010 saints!

Raph should be the medium forward if it's needed. So much better than playing Gwilt, and his turnovers will hurt less if/when they happen.

Hey guys sorry for intruding, was just wondering how Nick Heyne is going. Haven't heard much this year, how did he go in 09 and is he a chance in 2010?

Im starting to think Raph is a good option for the 3rd forward... when lyon swung him forward in the Collingwood Final he was leading hard and running his opponent ragged... rekon this should be tried out pre season..

I do like Goddard as a defensive winger..

Im starting to think Raph is a good option for the 3rd forward... when lyon swung him forward in the Collingwood Final he was leading hard and running his opponent ragged... rekon this should be tried out pre season..

I do like Goddard as a defensive winger..

This is where Raph is a problem. As a forward he is not a good kick for goal. As a midfielder he is not quick enough for AFL. As a backman he is not accountable enough. He's not quite in the 22 IMO.

This is where Raph is a problem. As a forward he is not a good kick for goal. As a midfielder he is not quick enough for AFL. As a backman he is not accountable enough. He's not quite in the 22 IMO.

Anyone else get the feeling that the modern Coaches (Lyon, Bomber, Voss for eg) seem to be following the EPL lead with an extended playing squad. A squad of 30 (even 35) where players will be rotated out for a break, for match ups or for general soreness/injury.

The addition of seasoned players such as Dempster, Schneider, Ray, Peake, Lovett etc could be seen to be the start of a rotation policy for the bottom 10 or so players.

Hence the fact that Peake might not be in our starting 22, but could conceivably play 10-12 games next season as a rotation-player.

Managing the squad of 30 will become more and more crucial.

(sorry if this is a bit ambiguous....it's monday after all)

Can't see Lynch playing too much. He's kind of a KPP and will need a couple years to develop.

Although I guess we gave Big Mac a game in his first year.

I could see him playing one game, like Jack this year, Macca last year, just to give him a taste and tell him that he'll be rewarded for effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams What is your R1, 2010 ultimate 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back