What level do you play

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by catattack
Turf for D grade, that's pretty good. Here in the Geelong Cricket Association we only get turf for 1st's and 2nd's (both Div 1 and Div 2) before the hard wickets are used for the remaining levels.

Turf has the following grades here

Premier, A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C, D, E, F, (two day cricket)
LOA LOB LOC LOD

The hard wickets comps are seperate.

Originally posted by Squeak
Will be playing for the first time in 10 seasons for Glen Waverley in the Southern Cricket (Churches) League. Anywhere from 4ths to 6ths I'm guessing.

Funky Steinfort playing out there?

I know he used to, and his folks still live in Glen Waverley, and are highly involved in the church.

I play McIntosh Shield 1's in the BHRDCA league in Melbourne.

BHRD when im playin seniors its B2 but i started in B4 and have played A3 (there is macintosh shield the mac2nds then A1 A2 A3)

Which club are you with?

Used to play in Cbr several years back, represented the Mighty ACT at all levels. Played with Higgs and against Hadds on many occasions, its great to see them doing so well.

I moved to QLD for footy and after one hot summer in the sun decided its to hot play cricket up here.

Originally posted by Cooldude
Could someone explain the levels of competitive cricket (at least in Victoria) for me? I know the level below first class cricket is district cricket, but what are the levels you have to go through in order to play district cricket?

Below district there are just regional leagues. You don't work your way into a district club, you just turn up and have a train and if they like you, then you play. Otherwise, they don't pick you and you may as well go back to a regional club.

Originally posted by Cooldude
Could someone explain the levels of competitive cricket (at least in Victoria) for me? I know the level below first class cricket is district cricket, but what are the levels you have to go through in order to play district cricket?

Cricket Victoria has what is called the "Pathways" program, which goes like this:

Australia

Victoria - selected from the best performers in District 1st XI

District (Premier) Cricket - has about 18 clubs and each has 4 XI's.

Sub-District

VMCU - The Victorian Metropolitan Cricket Union oversees all the suburban competitions such as Diamond Valley, Heidelberg District, etc. Depending on the competition, there can be as many as 8 or nine grades, plus juniors.

At various stages of juniors, suburban players can try out for various sub-district (under 14's - Hatch Shield) or district (under 16's - Dowling Shield) competitions played over summer, as the main entry point into district cricket. From Dowling and Hatch, Cricket Victoria also picks junior "Bolter" squads for intrastate and interstate competition.

There are various anomalies in the system but that's sort of the jist of it: it's outlined in detail at www.cricketvictoria.com.au

Originally posted by Cupido13
Below district there are just regional leagues. You don't work your way into a district club, you just turn up and have a train and if they like you, then you play. Otherwise, they don't pick you and you may as well go back to a regional club.

Okay, the Victoria Premier League = District cricket, right? Then the regional leagues = Metro/Local club cricket?

Originally posted by manmountain
Yeah - but it's called Premier Cricket, not VPL.

Yeah sorry, was mixing it up with English Premier League, stupid me :)

So basiclly it's the local clubs, then when you make it up to the 1st XI of the local club you have a chance for a crack at district cricket? Or was it like Cupido13 said, you just turn up to district cricket team's training, train with them, and if they like you, you play for them, if they don't, go back to where you were?

And how to join local clubs? Basiclly ring their club staff and ask if you can join?

Usually to join a Premier club, the best juniors go through the Dowling system and when they complete their junior careers at their suburban club they go to a Premier club.

However, anyone can at any stage just roll up at a Premier club and ask to play - and if they're good enough they will get selected.

If they're not selected, they can go back to local competition.

To join a local club you can usually just contact the club secretary - their contact details are available from Cricket Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually to join a Premier club, the best juniors go through the Dowling system and when they complete their junior careers at their suburban club they go to a Premier club.

However, anyone can at any stage just roll up at a Premier club and ask to play - and if they're good enough they will get selected.

If they're not selected, they can go back to local competition.

To join a local club you can usually just contact the club secretary - their contact details are available from Cricket Victoria.

Okay, what about older players who don't go through the Dowling system, do District clubs just roll up to him and ask him to play for them, or does he have to, like you said, enquire to Premier clubs if he can play for them?

Local clubs usually won't reject your request of playing for them, would they?

Local clubs would never knock back players unless their teams were completely full, and that would be almost impossible - they can always find a spot for someone.

For players who don't go through the conventional Dowling pathway, there are some options, and I'll give you an example of each:

Mick Lewis, after playing juniors at Riverside didn't go directly into Premier cricket (I doubt he even played Dowling). He then played local senior cricket with Rosanna and Montmorency and was playing A grade when a Premier club (Northcote) called him out of the blue and said they were short in the 2nd XI and asked him to fill in - he ended up progressing to the 1st XI and Victoria. That would be an example of a Premier club chasing a local player.

The other way would be much more common, and that would be the players who at the completion of their junior careers at their local club, choose to stay on and play seniors there for whatever reason (don't feel ready for Premier cricket, play with mates, whatever). They will then at a later stage (say 20 years old) go to a Premier club and train there, get selected and have a Premier career that way.

Local clubs would never knock back players unless their teams were completely full, and that would be almost impossible - they can always find a spot for someone.

For players who don't go through the conventional Dowling pathway, there are some options, and I'll give you an example of each:

Mick Lewis, after playing juniors at Riverside didn't go directly into Premier cricket (I doubt he even played Dowling). He then played local senior cricket with Rosanna and Montmorency and was playing A grade when a Premier club (Northcote) called him out of the blue and said they were short in the 2nd XI and asked him to fill in - he ended up progressing to the 1st XI and Victoria. That would be an example of a Premier club chasing a local player.

The other way would be much more common, and that would be the players who at the completion of their junior careers at their local club, choose to stay on and play seniors there for whatever reason (don't feel ready for Premier cricket, play with mates, whatever). They will then at a later stage (say 20 years old) go to a Premier club and train there, get selected and have a Premier career that way.

Okay, are the players playing for the 1st in Premier club amateurs? Or do some of them have professional contracts, or do you have to be a squad member of the Vics to earn a contract?

BTW, thanks for the details, appreciate it very much.

Cricket Victoria picks a squad of 25 players each year who are on base contracts, plus payments for each Shield and ING game they play. They are required to attend certain promotional events, etc, as part of that deal.

A player outside of that 25 can be selected for the Vics and will receive the match payments like other players, but obviously not the base payment of the contracted players.

At Premier level it is up to each club and most clubs pay a couple of players (captain/coach and maybe a couple more).

Outside of the state squad, there is probably more money in local cricket - there are plenty of ex-Premier players earning upwards of $10K per year in local competition, often on incentive programs such as $200 per wicket and $5 per run.

Cricket Victoria picks a squad of 25 players each year who are on base contracts, plus payments for each Shield and ING game they play. They are required to attend certain promotional events, etc, as part of that deal.

A player outside of that 25 can be selected for the Vics and will receive the match payments like other players, but obviously not the base payment of the contracted players.

At Premier level it is up to each club and most clubs pay a couple of players (captain/coach and maybe a couple more).

Outside of the state squad, there is probably more money in local cricket - there are plenty of ex-Premier players earning upwards of $10K per year in local competition, often on incentive programs such as $200 per wicket and $5 per run.

Okay, what would be the average salary of a base contract be?

I think there are levels of retainers for rookie, senior players, etc.

Something like $20K for a rookie
$50K for a standard contract and maybe more for a senior player.

On top of match payments, I think I read last year that a state player playing in all matches should collect about $80-90K.

The very best A grade players in local comp would be somewhere between 1st and 2nd XI at Premier clubs.

There are plenty of players playing A grade in local comps who played Premier 1st XI last year.

The range at a local club would be dependant upon the number of teams, but as a guide, the best grade would have players of Premier 1st/2nd/3rd XI standard and the lower grades tend to have either older players past their prime, young kids under 18, or middle age players who aren't too flash/fit.

The very best A grade players in local comp would be somewhere between 1st and 2nd XI at Premier clubs.

There are plenty of players playing A grade in local comps who played Premier 1st XI last year.

The range at a local club would be dependant upon the number of teams, but as a guide, the best grade would have players of Premier 1st/2nd/3rd XI standard and the lower grades tend to have either older players past their prime, young kids under 18, or middle age players who aren't too flash/fit.

Okay, thank you, btw, is leg spinners a regularity in any grade sides? I mean, good legspinners, not crap ones.

There's a fair few decent leggies around - considering Warney burst onto the scene about a decade ago, all the young Warney wannabes are now senior cricketers. From personal experience about half the teams would have a leggie of some description, but only half of those leggies would be any good.

Cooldude

The VTCA (Victorian Turf Cricket Ass) is an extremely strong and large comp with heaps of teams. The senior A1 clubs in that are very powerful and are probably better than the majority of subbie clubs. Many have at least one overseas player. The comp is very strong right the way down to the B1's. It gathers clubs from all over Melbourne.

In the North west of Melbourne the best comp in my opinion is the DVCA. The Heidelberg comp is behind that followed by the JIKA and the MMVCA, which would be close. The NWCA used to be strong but it has deteriorated badly with many teams leaving. I'd say it would be the worst even though it is still pretty big.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

What level do you play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back