What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

One 5 minute timeout per coach.
Can only be activated after a goal is scored.

I just think it would be a good tactic to have available when the oppo gets a run on, or your team needs a rev-up or a break.
It is only 10 mins extra time per game so relatively minimal.

I just think it would be a good tactic to have available when the oppo gets a run on, or your team needs a rev-up or a break.
People already lose their minds if they have to review a score for 10 seconds....

I agree 100% & have posted that for a while now.
Just to avoid that 5 goal burst that can kill a game.
Another one is to return to the previous hands in the back rule. When does a holding position turn into a push? Such a grey area, & interpreted differently, all the time. Simple: remove the grey area & any hands in the back = push in the back

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hitting the post but still entering the goals should be a goal. What kind of dumb sport denies a goal because it nicked the side of the goals and still went in. Imagine they tried to bring that rule in to soccer. Imagine the response to such a stupid rule.
Because it's a clean goal, and thus more rewarding. Shouldn't be rewarded for inaccurately hitting the post ever. Soccer is a different sport altogether where goals are very limited and it's much harder to score off the ground.

That's an interesting idea that could make games more interesting preventing blow outs, but how would they contact the umpires in time to stop play if they're in the coaching box? Maybe the captain could be the one to activate it and make it short like 2 minutes with it being the players only and maybe a runners message? Maybe 2 two minute time outs, I think that's all that's needed.

That's an interesting idea that could make games more interesting preventing blow outs, but how would they contact the umpires in time to stop play if they're in the coaching box? Maybe the captain could be the one to activate it and make it short like 2 minutes with it being the players only and maybe a runners message? Maybe 2 two minute time outs, I think that's all that's needed.
I would think there could easily be a contact method, to the emergency umpire who contacts umpire via his mike. Maybe a light goes on in oppo coach box so they aware as well. Umpires are contacted for interchange infringement like Sydney v north last year so could be similar.

Time outs make a farce of basketball games. That's probably an unpopular opinion because everybody blindly froths that sport, but I don't care.

Would be absurd in Australian Rules.

Time outs make a farce of basketball games. That's probably an unpopular opinion because everybody blindly froths that sport, but I don't care.

Would be absurd in Australian Rules.
Yep,
The last 2 minutes of a game turns into a few 1 minute segments between 5 minute time outs. There are far too many players in the AFL on a massive ground where it will just take too long to implement. On field leaderships is how you stop run ons.

Don't blow the whistle and then call advantage, make it like soccer where the umpire let's it play for a bit to see if there's advantage.
This should be in place
I don't get the rationale behind a whistle & advantage.

1- you can't blow the whistle and call advantage at the same time physically anyway
2- whistle goes causes some/most players to stop.

Whistle goes = bring the play back.

Remove the MCG Grand final rule - top team gets the Grand final.
Pick 1 is worth 5000 points, pick 20 is worth the same as now. Max of 2 picks used for matching any bid.

Rebuilds take too long, picks 10, 12, 14 all the way to 30 are reserved for the team with the lowest wins over the last 3 years.

I think if players drop the ball 'at any time' instead of properly disposing the ball, while being tackled or touched by an opponent it should be an instant holding the ball, or 'incorrect disposal'. Could prevent dangerous tackles from happening.
There has to be a chance for the player actually going for the ball. When a player picks up the ball and is immediately tackled and the ball is knocked out instantly, not dropping it after the tackles has been stuck for a bit, it can't be a free kick against the player attempting to make the play.

If a player receives high contact as a result of slipping over when trying to evade a tackler, pay holding the ball. So many times a player will run an arc trying to get around a tackler, only to slip as the tackler initiates contact and end up with a free kick for high contact
Onus still has to be on the tackler in that situation. Totally different to ducking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Removing ruck nominations is nice in theory, but I can guarentee you that in the very first game this is changed in, one team will complain about their "ruck" being held and not given a fair chance to compete.

For example, opposition is expecting Nankervis to ruck a throw in, but instead, we use Pickett, but he's being held by his direct opponent in the contest and therefore doesn't get a chance to contest the ruck.
If he is being held though, shouldn't that be a free kick anyway? Rucks not nominating worked for most of the games history.

6- some kind of yellow card system for dirty play ie last year Liam Henry punched Jordan Ridley in the face, injured him, Ridley went off and port benefited from that.

Maybe the team that receives the yellow can’t make an interchange for 5 minutes or looses 3 interchanges or something ect
Could have it similar to juniors/suburban football where that player can be replaced but can't come on for 20 mins of game time or be subbed. Team with the yellow still has all its players on the field but is down a rotation.

My point is, if there is no recognised ruck in the vicinity of the ball up/throw in, how do you know who is going to ruck if you do remove nominations?
I would think any advantage you gain by using a 'surprise ruckman' is lost when they're giving away 4 inches in height plus however much in reach. Ruckman should play the ball not each other.

Because it's a clean goal, and thus more rewarding. Shouldn't be rewarded for inaccurately hitting the post ever. Soccer is a different sport altogether where goals are very limited and it's much harder to score off the ground.
What about 8 points to hit one of the outside behind posts from a set shot
Higher risk aiming for the post with the chance of scoring a behind or out on the full instead of the middle of the goal posts for the 6 points

Although this suggestion is mostly tongue in cheek I wouldn’t actually mind to see it in a legends game or something with no real steaks just for shits and giggles

If he is being held though, shouldn't that be a free kick anyway? Rucks not nominating worked for most of the games history.

That's cause we didn't have the ruck infringement rule for most of the games' history.

I would think any advantage you gain by using a 'surprise ruckman' is lost when they're giving away 4 inches in height plus however much in reach. Ruckman should play the ball not each other.

No, because the "advantage" you get in this scenario is a free kick due to the way the rules are set up. Like I clearly said, the exploit is using a midfielder (such as Pickett for Richmond) as the ruck, and then draw a free kick by making it look like that Pickett's direct matchup at a stoppage isn't giving Pickett a "fair go" at the ruck contest.

Unless we scrap the banning of the "3rd ruck" (which was the reason why nominations at ruck contests were introduced) then ruck infringement free kicks will become the biggest rort in the game if we remove just "remove" the nomination rule.

Don't like it - or need it. There are captains, vice-captains and 'leadership groups' on the field. Let them make the calls.

Coach sets out the strategies for the game - and gets quarter and half-time breaks to reinforce or change the message. But between the sirens, the players are in charge.

Also - if a team get a run-on due to good play - why should they be stopped by a non-football interruption?

There has to be a chance for the player actually going for the ball. When a player picks up the ball and is immediately tackled and the ball is knocked out instantly, not dropping it after the tackles has been stuck for a bit, it can't be a free kick against the player attempting to make the play.
The players would need to make more of an effort to hold on to it or dispose of it. Players can get rid of the ball quite fast but usually hold on to it for a better option or possession play. I also liked Grant Thomas idea to penalize players who get pinned, to speed up the game rather than have endless ball ups. Maybe a 3 second count down if a player is clearly being pinned.

Last edited:
What about 8 points to hit one of the outside behind posts from a set shot
Higher risk aiming for the post with the chance of scoring a behind or out on the full instead of the middle of the goal posts for the 6 points

Although this suggestion is mostly tongue in cheek I wouldn’t actually mind to see it in a legends game or something with no real steaks just for shits and giggles
A Zooper goal.

That's cause we didn't have the ruck infringement rule for most of the games' history.

No, because the "advantage" you get in this scenario is a free kick due to the way the rules are set up. Like I clearly said, the exploit is using a midfielder (such as Pickett for Richmond) as the ruck, and then draw a free kick by making it look like that Pickett's direct matchup at a stoppage isn't giving Pickett a "fair go" at the ruck contest.

Unless we scrap the banning of the "3rd ruck" (which was the reason why nominations at ruck contests were introduced) then ruck infringement free kicks will become the biggest rort in the game if we remove just "remove" the nomination rule.
Even without the infringement rules the rucks still did a pretty good job of being at the contest most of the time. The biggest issue IMO with nominating is that it takes time sometimes far to much when the ruckman who is nominating is jogging to the contest from 50m away. Some onus needs to be on the player who is contesting the ruck to get in a position where he can be first to the ball. Pickett can't just randomly decide to go up in the ruck with the ruckman standing right there. If the ball is thrown up immediately that kind of information doesn't have time to be passed on. The players still need to communicate with each other who is going up, something an umpire should be able to pick up on.

Personally I was a fan of the 3rd man up but if it was destroying ruckmans bodies then maybe it had to go. I wouldn't mind it being bought back though. Anything that adds randomness and players making decisions to do things in the heat of the moment stops coaches from being in control so much which is better for the game.

I don't think ruck infringements make sense a lot of the time now.

Don't blow the whistle and then call advantage, make it like soccer where the umpire let's it play for a bit to see if there's advantage.
They had something like this during the 2000's, but they seemingly removed it. I saw a match from 2007 where they brought the ball back because there was no advantage due to pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back