What time are MCC members lining up?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember we just stayed at the ground for the 05 and 06 grand finals when we got our seats at 8:30am? ish. I can't remember what kind of "Reserved" sticker/sign the MCC gave us, if we wanted to go back home, but there was no chance I was leaving the seats.

It was a long day but that's what makes GF day unique as well. At least they had the TAC Cup final back in those days which killed a few hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the queue now. Line snakes up the hill and back down again to the concourse. Then back up again. Still dark. Best guess? 4-5k. The front of the line is really sparse tho, and once it bunches up I'm sure we will be close enough to get something decent. If u ain't here now... it may be too late to snag anything other than a nose bleed.

I remember we just stayed at the ground for the 05 and 06 grand finals when we got our seats at 8:30am? ish. I can't remember what kind of "Reserved" sticker/sign the MCC gave us, if we wanted to go back home, but there was no chance I was leaving the seats.

It was a long day but that's what makes GF day unique as well. At least they had the TAC Cup final back in those days which killed a few hours.

They give you a ticket with a seat number on it. From memory they might also put whats effectivly a "sold" sticker on the backof the seat as well so walkups knew the seat was taken.

Because there's few things more satisfying than being rewarded for the dedication of getting to the queue at around midnight in good weather (about 2am if it's raining) by being able to walk in and grab arguably the best seats in the house in N47.

I'm generalising, but the ballot is for MCC members who are neutrals, or more casual with their support. Getting to the queue in the wee hours is for the die hards.

If you're a full club member, chances are you're pretty desperate to go and passionate about the result. That's not necessarily the case for MCC members. So the system that they use doesn't unfairly disadvantage the neutral MCC members (who deserves the seat more: the Melbourne supporter who's attended 20-30 MCG games in 2017, or the Richmond supporter who's dusting the membership off for the first time this year to get into the GF?), while giving a guaranteed seat to anyone who misses out on the ballot, provided they're keen enough. I think it works perfectly.

Just because youre fussy about getting a slightly better seat doesnt make you a diehard.

Remove this Banner Ad

What time are MCC members lining up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back