Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

I'm 100% expecting to not get Reid just so I'm not burnt.

Feels like we're gonna cave.

Ah well hope whoever we take with later picks ends up the AFLs new GOAT just some random that lifts their game to ridiculous heights

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Club has said nothing. What exactly "feels like we're gonna cave"?

Club has said nothing. What exactly "feels like we're gonna cave"?

That’s not entirely true.

They have said they would be open to listening to offers, Nisbett’s interview late in the season when asked about Harley and the draft, answered in a very expansive fashion stating there were many good prospects in the draft.

While that’s far from conclusive, it does feel like the club conditioning supporters in the event of a pick trade. If Harley was unquestionably our guy, the club would come out and say as much.

There’s an open mindedness to trading the pick which adds fuel to the fire on reporting about trading the pick. The fact the club hasn’t quashed the story, either directly, or by feeding the media off the record is a statement in itself by omission.

Last edited:

They have said they would be open to listening to offers, Nisbett’s interview late in the season when asked about Harley and the drafted, answered in a very expansive fashion stating their were many good prospects in the draft.

While that’s far from conclusive, but it does feel like the club conditioning supporters in the event of a pick trade. If Harley was unquestionably our guy, the club would come out and say as much.

There’s an open mindedness to trading the pick which adds fuel to the fire on reporting about trading the pick. The fact the club hasn’t quashed the story, either directly, or by feeding the media off the record is a statement in itself by omission.

All Ive heard them say is "we're open to all possibilities" at this stage. And that makes sense...it's 3 months away. The club isnt going to announce anything this far out its crazy to think they should just to allay some way too uptight supporters.

We may very well receive a ridiculous godfather offer that's impossible to refuse. Do we then backpedal if we've announced Reid's our guy?

All Ive heard them say is "we're open to all possibilities" at this stage. And that makes sense...it's 3 months away. The club isnt going to announce anything this far out its crazy to think they should just to allay some way too uptight supporters.

We may very well receive a ridiculous godfather offer that's impossible to refuse. Do we then backpedal if we've announced Reid's our guy?

That’s a fair point. I’d say something like the north deal would be easy to quash.

A quick leak to Rhino followed by a tweet “reports that West Coast would trade right to Harley Reid for pick 2 and port Adelaide’s pick are untrue. If the club is to trade pick 1 they would want significantly more”.

I think something similar happened last year with Ports proposed trade of 8 and F1 for pick 2, before the mega deal eventuated.

That’s a fair point. I’d say something like the north deal would be easy to quash.

A quick leak to Rhino followed by a tweet “reports that West Coast would trade right to Harley Reid for pick 2 and port Adelaide’s pick are untrue. If the club is to trade pick 1 they would want significantly more”.

I think something similar happened last year with Ports proposed trade of 8 and F1 for pick 2, before the mega deal eventuated.

It's 3 months away though. And ROBs already been on the Gettable podcast (before we even actually had pick 1) and said we'd already talked to Reid twice, they have no fears about him not wanting to come over, and when asked about what it would take to trade pick 1 they got up to "3 1st rounders" and his response was "keep going"

They have said they would be open to listening to offers, Nisbett’s interview late in the season when asked about Harley and the draft, answered in a very expansive fashion stating there were many good prospects in the draft.

While that’s far from conclusive, it does feel like the club conditioning supporters in the event of a pick trade. If Harley was unquestionably our guy, the club would come out and say as much.

In what universe is any club as desperate as ours going to publicly show their hand three months out of the draft … everything up until draft night is pure speculation, hopes and dreams

It's 3 months away though. And ROBs already been on the Gettable podcast (before we even actually had pick 1) and said we'd already talked to Reid twice, they have no fears about him not wanting to come over, and when asked about what it would take to trade pick 1 they got up to "3 1st rounders" and his response was "keep going"

The media likes to forget his qoutes.

Even Cal who keeps saying WC will trade pick 1 ...even after talking to ROB on his podcast haha

No pick 1?????

Technically no however Daicos was the clear number 1 pick but was not eligible and Petracca was considered the number 1 prospect yet St Kilda had a massive need for a KPF.

It actually demonstrates how lucky we are to have the option to select the number 1 pick this year considering Ugle-Hagan, Daicos and Ashcroft were not available to the Wooden spooners the last 3 years and it also shows that sometimes you should take the best available regardless of position (Petracca) with the first pick.

We have different reads (no pun intended) on the situation.

For what it’s worth, I hope you turn out to be right and we ‘read’ his name out on draft night.

That was said when the season was still in progress and the ladder not set in stone so pick 1, whilst likely, wasn’t a definite

So his comments were as much as not finishing last wasn’t giving up a great player because there will still other very good players in the draft - diffusing the tanking talk as much as anything

Since the season has ended and we’ve got pick 1 locked in, there’s been no comment from the club in our intentions

I suspect the language might be a bit different when they do speak

I seem to recall on many occasions where clubs will state they will listen to offers for the number 1 pick but it will take a massive deal, similar to what O'Brien said on Gettable.

Further to this it's very rare a club comes out well ahead of time and says who they are picking with number 1 even when there is a clear number 1.

To me this all seems no different to what other clubs say and do this time of the year. It's all part of the theatrics.

I'm not saying we're taking Harley or that the Eagles preference is not to trade Pick 1, but i will say that taking what O'Brien and Nisbett have said as gospel and our non public committal at this point to Harley as doom and gloom is a little bit of a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was said when the season was still in progress and the ladder not set in stone so pick 1, whilst likely, wasn’t a definite

So his comments were as much as not finishing last wasn’t giving up a great player because there will still other very good players in the draft - diffusing the tanking talk as much as anything

Since the season has ended and we’ve got pick 1 locked in, there’s been no comment from the club in our intentions

I suspect the language might be a bit different when they do speak

I hope they do speak sooner rather than later.
Doesn’t Nisbett have fortnightly interviews with Papalia?

I know there would be a lot different issues to get across, retiree, simmo, bnf but I hope they do talk about pick 1.

Honestly I hope the media continue to breathlessly speculate that we should/must trade the pick - given the club seems to love nothing more than sticking it to the doubters and the media (for better or worse) it probably just makes it more likely that we take Reid.

Dom - are you pissing in a pocket again or just pissing your own pants?

If you had of been around more than a short while, you would have realised that the Pieman and King Nissie I make statement every single year about there being good prospects in the draft, that they will look at options both trading up and trading down, and that they will be open to listen to most things. That is a poker face response.

When it comes to releasing nothing about the draft plans for West Coast, our team has been excellent. And this often pisses off posters. So be it. Even Cal Twomey has trouble getting insights to who we want and he has access to the home visitation requests for all clubs.

Do yourself a favour and go read some books about dealing and negotiation skills. You might just realise that wanting the club to follow your way of thinking might be off the mark.

Plenty think North Will spend pick 2 on him.

And he's playing midfield with his coach saying he's good enough to make it as a mid. Same size as P Cripps.

So maybe clubs don't just see a tall defender.
North can afford to spend pick 2 on him, they've drafted a mountain of midfield talent the last few years. We can't afford to take a risk like that, we need to take Reid.

Dom - are you pissing in a pocket again or just pissing your own pants?

If you had of been around more than a short while, you would have realised that the Pieman and King Nissie I make statement every single year about there being good prospects in the draft, that they will look at options both trading up and trading down, and that they will be open to listen to most things. That is a poker face response.

When it comes to releasing nothing about the draft plans for West Coast, our team has been excellent. And this often pisses off posters. So be it. Even Cal Twomey has trouble getting insights to who we want and he has access to the home visitation requests for all clubs.

Do yourself a favour and go read some books about dealing and negotiation skills. You might just realise that wanting the club to follow your way of thinking might be off the mark.

Yes, I understand that West Coast are the most private club or all the clubs in the league and

The difference between this year and previous years in terms of rhetoric around being open to offers- the difference being pick quality. Generally the club talks about being open to trades in relation to run of the mill picks, not a pick that unlocks a player of Reid’s quality. So the circumstances are somewhat different.

Ordinarily I agree with you, but coming out and saying we will take a Reid seems a No-brainer.

Why are we even listening to offers?

I do give weight to ROB’s gettable interview though scoffing at proposed deals.

I'm starting to think we draft Reid with the idea he runs back home after 2, then get Curtis back around the same time after some development in the East. Then we get Band 1 compensation for Reid, get another top 2 pick and win/win. End up with Curtis and potentially another top 5 pick? thoughts?

There's still a finals series about to unfold, campaigners. We don't need to be on air with our BSD talking about how shit the journos theoretical pick 1 trades are. 8 teams have slogged through 24 weeks of footy just to get into finals, so I think it's completely okay to let the finals shine in their own light and then all 18 clubs can enter circle jerk negotiations. That allows us to deal with all clubs, not just the non-finalists.

Heaps of water to go under the bridge between now and trade/draft window. Some real bed wetting going on in here because we've finally got access to the first pick and some real talent and we're worried about fumbling it. Bit of PTSD coming to the surface from a few of you thinking about the first time you got frisky with the fairer sex I reckon.

It certainly highlights how trash our picks have been for so long that there's so much anxiety around how we use pick 1.

Technically no however Daicos was the clear number 1 pick but was not eligible and Petracca was considered the number 1 prospect yet St Kilda had a massive need for a KPF.

It actually demonstrates how lucky we are to have the option to select the number 1 pick this year considering Ugle-Hagan, Daicos and Ashcroft were not available to the Wooden spooners the last 3 years and it also shows that sometimes you should take the best available regardless of position (Petracca) with the first pick.
Those are both great points that I think are also going under the radar. The more you dig the more it just makes sense to take Reid.

I'm starting to think we draft Reid with the idea he runs back home after 2, then get Curtis back around the same time after some development in the East. Then we get Band 1 compensation for Reid, get another top 2 pick and win/win. End up with Curtis and potentially another top 5 pick? thoughts?
How are we getting band 1 compo for a non free agent? Don't think we are looking to take Paul Curtis off Norf's hands either...

There have been very, very, very few clubs, who have held the number 1 pick, if any, who have come out in public stating who they’ll be taking

Ordinarily I agree with you, but coming out and saying we will take a Reid seems a No-brainer.
Honestly, what the hell are you talking about? In what world would any club say who they were picking in August?

It's like selling your house at auction and before it even starts you let everyone know that you'll be taking the first bid.

This fetishisation of Reid has made this board delirious. We could be offered picks 2,3,4 and a section of this board would have a fit.

Yes, I understand that West Coast are the most private club or all the clubs in the league and

The difference between this year and previous years in terms of rhetoric around being open to offers- the difference being pick quality. Generally the club talks about being open to trades in relation to run of the mill picks, not a pick that unlocks a player of Reid’s quality. So the circumstances are somewhat different.

Why are we even listening to offers?

I do give weight to ROB’s gettable interview though scoffing at proposed deals.
Imagine we did that and Reid succumbs to a horrible injury and we backtrack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back